Leinster Squad 21-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Leinsterimp » May 28th, 2022, 11:06 pm

And as for a TH signing, I’d have gone for someone like Vincent Koch who wasps have managed to get from Saracens.
Munster wanted to sing Vincent Koch several season ago and were refused by the IRFU. Likewise Ulster wanted to sign a S.A. capped LH and were turned down. Props are considered a priority position by the IRFU we were lucky to get Big Mike.
dougie the flanker
Learner

Post by dougie the flanker »

sunshiner1 wrote: May 30th, 2022, 7:47 am
by Leinsterimp » May 28th, 2022, 11:06 pm

And as for a TH signing, I’d have gone for someone like Vincent Koch who wasps have managed to get from Saracens.
Munster wanted to sing Vincent Koch several season ago and were refused by the IRFU. Likewise Ulster wanted to sign a S.A. capped LH and were turned down. Props are considered a priority position by the IRFU we were lucky to get Big Mike.
I can't imagine Munster would have forked out to retain RG Snyman and brought in an ex-All Black for the back line without thinking they need to improve the front row first. As I understand it, approval for these big marquee signings aren't really happening up for front rowers.
dougie the flanker
Learner

dougie the flanker wrote: May 30th, 2022, 10:49 am As I understand it, approval for these big marquee signings aren't really happening up for front rowers.
This aged well :lol:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/053 ... aga-allen/
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

dougie the flanker wrote: May 30th, 2022, 11:33 am
dougie the flanker wrote: May 30th, 2022, 10:49 am As I understand it, approval for these big marquee signings aren't really happening up for front rowers.

Odd. Really odd. They have Moore and O'Toole.

Munster have a special relationship with NIQ tightheads. As I see it there was an unofficial rule that Munster could sign NIQs anywhere except prop after there was a shortage in Ireland and they had made signings for so long. As long as they had Irish props there were off the hook elsewhere.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
dougie the flanker
Learner

ronk wrote: May 30th, 2022, 12:36 pm

Munster have a special relationship with NIQ tightheads. As I see it there was an unofficial rule that Munster could sign NIQs anywhere except prop after there was a shortage in Ireland and they had made signings for so long. As long as they had Irish props there were off the hook elsewhere.
The TH situation in Munster makes no sense to me. On the face of it we have promising tight heads in Keynan Knox and Roman Salanoa. Salanoa has had a lot of injury worries to be fair but even allowing for that they aren't getting any game time.

This is the one area where Munster aren't really giving young lads game time. Everywhere else there are youngsters posting up decent hauls of game time. But not at tight head.

Which is fine as Rowntree has had his line about everyone developing at their own pace etc. BUT we suddenly have ourselves in a position where these young lads are handed 2-3 year contracts and in August will basically be needed in every single match day squad with John Ryan leaving.

These lads will be going in completely cold unlike most young players that are building themselves up over time. Knox got a start against Stormers last October and a start against Zebre. Other than that a few bench spots.

Josh Wycherley has more starts for Munster since March 2022 than Keynan Knox has in his entire career. And we're meant to be comfortable that we need this guy playing in every Heineken Cup match, every knockout match etc. In his entire career Roman Salanoa has NEVER started a rugby match. EVER and is averaging 15 minutes per match.

These are massive gambles in such a pivotal position.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I think they're playing chicken with the IRFU.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Assume this is linked to Jack McGrath being released, although it's odd as Toomaga-Allen is a tighthead. Also, Ulster pretty much had agreement to bring Kitschoff in last season but were blocked by the IRFU. A much better player than Toomaga-Allen and as a loosehead, more needed by the squad. Pity.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I just checked Toomaga-Allen's entry on ItsRugby and he has never started a game on the loosehead side – I thought he might have some history there. Really curious that they are loading up on the right side of the front row with three capped THs, but don't have that much on the LH side.

I wonder if there is anything afoot up there? We were allowed get Big Mike in because Porter was moving from TH to LH. I wonder if Andy Farrell wants to look at Tom O'Toole as a LH?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

hugonaut wrote: May 30th, 2022, 8:37 pm
I just checked Toomaga-Allen's entry on ItsRugby and he has never started a game on the loosehead side – I thought he might have some history there. Really curious that they are loading up on the right side of the front row with three capped THs, but don't have that much on the LH side.

I wonder if there is anything afoot up there? We were allowed get Big Mike in because Porter was moving from TH to LH. I wonder if Andy Farrell wants to look at Tom O'Toole as a LH?
O’Toole has always seemed light for a tighthead.
Maybe, inspired by the Porter experiment, and the lack of any clear backup, they are trying it again?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Milasinovich can play both sides IIRC.

Hard to see them moving O'Toole. Ulster will need him soon enough, Ireland are now lighter on tighthead than loosehead. Furlong is 29, Bealham 30.

Knox, Clarkson and TOT are the next most senior group.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

curates_egg wrote: May 30th, 2022, 9:23 pm

O’Toole has always seemed light for a tighthead.
Maybe, inspired by the Porter experiment, and the lack of any clear backup, they are trying it again?
Their scrum has looked excellent anytime I've seen them. I think the simpler explanation is Ulster nothing in the cupboard if Moore or OToole become regular fixtures in Irish squads. Even if no games during windows game time will still be managed.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by hugonaut

God I hope not. Apparently Toomaga-Allen is only on a 1 year and brought in to replace Kane. The idea seems to be they will try and pick up someone else after the RWC.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

John O'Sullivan reporting that Charlie Ngatai has signed.

"One member of the Leinster squad for next season, Charlie Ngatai, got to celebrate in Marseilles at the weekend after he helped Lyons to victory over Toulon in the European Challenge Cup final. The 31-year-old former All Blacks will join the Irish province during the summer after turning down a contract offer to remain with the French Top 14 club."

[source: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... est-stage/ ]
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I just think that there should be some discussion, I can't see it, congratulating Josh van der Flier on getting the European Player of the Year award.
https://www.epcrugby.com/2022/05/28/jos ... ear-award/

Well done Josh, well deserved.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

fourthirtythree wrote:I just think that there should be some discussion, I can't see it, congratulating Josh van der Flier on getting the European Player of the Year award.

He's currently the best 7 in world rugby, has had an incredible season

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

fourthirtythree wrote: June 1st, 2022, 3:09 pm I just think that there should be some discussion, I can't see it, congratulating Josh van der Flier on getting the European Player of the Year award.

100%! He's been playing his best ever rugby this season. May it continue in the URC!!! Go, Josh!!!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

fourthirtythree wrote: June 1st, 2022, 3:09 pm I just think that there should be some discussion, I can't see it, congratulating Josh van der Flier on getting the European Player of the Year award.

Here here!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Barry wrote: June 1st, 2022, 3:44 pm
fourthirtythree wrote:I just think that there should be some discussion, I can't see it, congratulating Josh van der Flier on getting the European Player of the Year award.

In that he plays with 7 on his back exceptionally well - not so well in a role of a 7.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Morf wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 1:54 am
Barry wrote: June 1st, 2022, 3:44 pm

In that he plays with 7 on his back exceptionally well - not so well in a role of a 7.
Depends on how the role is defined, he’s not really a poacher/fetcher, he is a good link man / harasser though