Leinster Squad 21-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Donnybrook1 wrote: January 13th, 2022, 8:25 am One player who might benefit from a move down South is Jamie Osbourne . Backlog of centres here reducing his game time . A highly rated prospect like him should seek more minutes especially Champions Cup in the next 2-3 seasons
but they won't play him
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Donnybrook1 wrote: January 13th, 2022, 8:25 am One player who might benefit from a move down South is Jamie Osbourne . Backlog of centres here reducing his game time . A highly rated prospect like him should seek more minutes especially Champions Cup in the next 2-3 seasons
thats a ridiculous suggestion, if anything he is on the fast track here.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

With Munster bringing in Fekitoa and their existing stocks this would make little sense.

Added to this the inability of Munster to develop and keep fit stolen players and it would be a poor move for him.
Anyone But New Zealand
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

The only sensible inter-provincial move to/from Leinster is Ahern. It would benefit him, Leinster and Ireland.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

deco wrote: January 13th, 2022, 11:50 am The only sensible inter-provincial move to/from Leinster is Ahern. It would benefit him, Leinster and Ireland.
Okay purely hypothetical question for ye all (seeing as there's not much else going on).

Would you take a swap - Sheehan for Ahern? :D
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 13th, 2022, 12:04 pm
deco wrote: January 13th, 2022, 11:50 am The only sensible inter-provincial move to/from Leinster is Ahern. It would benefit him, Leinster and Ireland.
Okay purely hypothetical question for ye all (seeing as there's not much else going on).

No thanks. We'll buy a lock in and keep Sheehan.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

deco wrote: January 13th, 2022, 12:15 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: January 13th, 2022, 12:04 pm

No thanks. We'll buy a lock in and keep Sheehan.
Interestingly Ahern didn't make the 23 for their game tomorrow.

I mean if they're not gonna use him, it'd be rude not to take him :D
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Agree. Swapping is nonsense. It would need to be hugely beneficial to make sense.

Leinster would need to get a hooker and Munster would be a little hooker heavy if Sheehan moved. With Scott on the edge of the squad, and possibly moving out of the academy Munster would have 5 hookers and Leinster 2 (I'm assuming Cronin is finishing this year).

Do nothing has 4 hookers in Munster (with no obvious cuts) and 3 in Leinster with help from the 2 in the academy so development still happens.

On that note I've a question for the people who have been positive or even putting forward the move. Was the analysis so limited that you didn't even count the players in the squad, do you have some reason it would all still make sense or do you simply not care about the other problems once you get what you want?
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

ronk wrote: January 13th, 2022, 12:41 pm Agree. Swapping is nonsense. It would need to be hugely beneficial to make sense.

Leinster would need to get a hooker and Munster would be a little hooker heavy if Sheehan moved. With Scott on the edge of the squad, and possibly moving out of the academy Munster would have 5 hookers and Leinster 2 (I'm assuming Cronin is finishing this year).

Do nothing has 4 hookers in Munster (with no obvious cuts) and 3 in Leinster with help from the 2 in the academy so development still happens.

On that note I've a question for the people who have been positive or even putting forward the move. Was the analysis so limited that you didn't even count the players in the squad, do you have some reason it would all still make sense or do you simply not care about the other problems once you get what you want?
We could just move Scott Penny to hooker. :wink:
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Another of the former Munster second-rows who was largely ignored in their Academy is Frank Bradshaw (6'9", 119kg) who has just had his contract extended in Nevers in the French ProD2. The 26 year-old is regularly selected in their starting pack and they are in the top four in their Division challenging for a Play-off position.

With his size and experience, he looks like the sort of second-row that would suit our Squad in due course.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 14th, 2022, 8:29 am Another of the former Munster second-rows who was largely ignored in their Academy is Frank Bradshaw (6'9", 119kg) who has just had his contract extended in Nevers in the French ProD2. The 26 year-old is regularly selected in their starting pack and they are in the top four in their Division challenging for a Play-off position.

With his size and experience, he looks like the sort of second-row that would suit our Squad in due course.
Can't see it myself, he doesnt appear to play TH lock which is what we are looking for.

Why arent we backing Jack Dunne?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Is Jack Dunne not injured a lot?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:00 am Is Jack Dunne not injured a lot?
he's had one bad injury, so no, Charlie Ryan is injured a lot though as has Brian Deeny.

But wasn't Tadgh Beirne injured a lot too? same with Gavin Thornbury..

we've seen what signing experienced older IQ locks who aren't internationals has done for us before(Nagle, Kearney) instead of backing young locks coming out of the academy, i'd hope Leo would have learned a lesson.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on January 14th, 2022, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:06 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:00 am Is Jack Dunne not injured a lot?
he's had one bad injury, so no, Charlie Ryan is injured a lot though as has Brian Deeny.

we've seen what signing experienced older IQ locks has done for us before(Nagle, Kearney) instead of backing young locks coming out of the academy, i'd hope Leo would have learned a lesson.
Damien Browne helped us win a Heineken Cup, he was an experienced older IQ lock. What’s the lesson here? Be lucky?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Damian Browne, Mike McCarthy, Leo Cullen... Yes I hope Leo has learned from these dud signings
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

OTT wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:37 am
mildlyinterested wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:06 am

we've seen what signing experienced older IQ locks has done for us before(Nagle, Kearney) instead of backing young locks coming out of the academy, i'd hope Leo would have learned a lesson.
Damien Browne helped us win a Heineken Cup, he was an experienced older IQ lock. What’s the lesson here? Be lucky?
Different scenario for me, as we didn't have the same talent at lock in the academy in 2011, Browne was a good squad player for the two seasons he was here but Brad Thorne was the lock signing that that helped us win the Heineken cup 2012.

But look if your happy to sign a Frank Ryan over backing Jack Dunne or one of the other locks in the academy, fair play, i'm clear which i'd rather do.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on January 14th, 2022, 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ChrisUppy wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:49 am Damian Browne, Mike McCarthy, Leo Cullen... Yes I hope Leo has learned from these dud signings
Yeah signing irish internationals in the form of Mike McCarthy and Leo Cullen isn't the same as sign Frank Ryan from Pro D2.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Browne wasn't a squad player. He was just injured a bit at the wrong times.

He also generally started games.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:59 am
ChrisUppy wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:49 am Damian Browne, Mike McCarthy, Leo Cullen... Yes I hope Leo has learned from these dud signings
Yeah signing irish internationals in the form of Mike McCarthy and Leo Cullen isn't the same as sign Frank Ryan from Pro D2.
Wasn't commenting on the merits of Frank Ryan, was commenting on the merits of signing, to quote you, "experienced older IQ locks"
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ChrisUppy wrote: January 14th, 2022, 10:25 am
mildlyinterested wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:59 am
Wasn't commenting on the merits of Frank Ryan, was commenting on the merits of signing, to quote you, "experienced older IQ locks"
i'll edit to refine my criteria to non internationals locks.