Leinster Squad 21-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

elephantman
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by elephantman »

Theleinsterlad wrote: May 14th, 2022, 1:56 pm Watching ngatai for Lyon, not a bad offloader but to me looks more a 13 than 12 (but what would a forward know about things like that 😂)

Is this deal still on for him moving to us
It seems it’s done but just hasn’t been announced.

The commentator on BT Sport seemed pretty certain that it’s a done deal anyway!

Ngatai looks a terrific player. Very intelligent. Perhaps the only concern is his age but I’m sure Leinster have done their homework there.

Think Charlie Ngatai and James Lowe were teammates at the Chiefs.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

elephantman wrote: May 14th, 2022, 7:44 pm
Theleinsterlad wrote: May 14th, 2022, 1:56 pm Watching ngatai for Lyon, not a bad offloader but to me looks more a 13 than 12 (but what would a forward know about things like that 😂)

Is this deal still on for him moving to us
It seems it’s done but just hasn’t been announced.

The commentator on BT Sport seemed pretty certain that it’s a done deal anyway!

Ngatai looks a terrific player. Very intelligent. Perhaps the only concern is his age but I’m sure Leinster have done their homework there.

Think Charlie Ngatai and James Lowe were teammates at the Chiefs.
Yeah I thought he wilted abit in the heat as the game went on, but he was instrumental in Lyon winning today
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

The Leinster Rugby coaching staff have issued an injury update ahead of this weekend’s return to URC action.

Following Saturday’s win against Toulouse in the Heineken Champions Cup last four, Leinster are in league action against Munster Rugby at Aviva Stadium (KO 7.15pm – LIVE on TG4, Premier Sports and URC TV).

Tadhg Furlong (ankle) and James Lowe (shin) picked up injuries against the French champions and will be further assessed this week. However, neither player will feature against Munster.

Rónan Kelleher was removed for a Head Injury Assessment in the second half against Toulouse and will follow the return to play protocols this week.

In more positive news, Jordan Larmour will look to return to full training this week after his return from a hip injury.

There are no further updates on:

Tommy O’Brien (knee), Nick McCarthy (shoulder), James Tracy (neck), Dave Kearney (hamstring) and Will Connors (knee)
Colmodon
Bookworm

Post by Colmodon »

Jeeze - what happened to Nick's shoulder?

Foley to start with Ben Murphy on the bench?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Conor O'Brien is well and truly MIA
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 17th, 2022, 3:04 pm Conor O'Brien is well and truly MIA
As in you can't spot him at training?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

leinsterforever wrote: May 17th, 2022, 3:47 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: May 17th, 2022, 3:04 pm Conor O'Brien is well and truly MIA
Last time he appeared in the Sportsfile training photos was 04 April 2022, six weeks ago. Hope that he is doing okay, he has been dreadfully unfortunate with injuries. I was just checking his profile on the site and he has only played in two games since 2019. Between injury, pandemic and more injuries, his rugby career has really been thrown around by the waves.

Hope he gets the chance to show what he can do, either here or somewhere else – really talented player.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

hugonaut wrote: May 17th, 2022, 9:46 pm
leinsterforever wrote: May 17th, 2022, 3:47 pm
Last time he appeared in the Sportsfile training photos was 04 April 2022, six weeks ago. Hope that he is doing okay, he has been dreadfully unfortunate with injuries. I was just checking his profile on the site and he has only played in two games since 2019. Between injury, pandemic and more injuries, his rugby career has really been thrown around by the waves.

Hope he gets the chance to show what he can do, either here or somewhere else – really talented player.
Hmmm, okay. He's mentioned as having returned to full training in the March 28 injury update. But then he didn't make the South Africa squad. Maybe he's been told there isn't a new contract for him and he's getting a headstart with something new. I really like him as a player. That one season he had where he shone brightly is memorable.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Josh van der Flier named Irish men’s players’ player of the year
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 19th, 2022, 8:31 am Josh van der Flier named Irish men’s players’ player of the year
Thoroughly deserved - well done JVDF. It's the biggest individual accolade in the Irish game and an incredibly difficult award to win. It's a fitting tribute to the phenomenal season that he has had. In my opinion, he has been the best openside in the world over the course of the 2021-22 season.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: May 19th, 2022, 8:28 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: May 19th, 2022, 8:31 am Josh van der Flier named Irish men’s players’ player of the year
Thoroughly deserved - well done JVDF. It's the biggest individual accolade in the Irish game and an incredibly difficult award to win. It's a fitting tribute to the phenomenal season that he has had. In my opinion, he has been the best openside in the world over the course of the 2021-22 season.
He plays a lot of big 80 minute games in the most attritional position in the game. Being able to replace an extra backrow is in some ways the whole point of a 6-2 split.

He's had a great season. Yet another player who's flourished after a Lion's snub.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Any more information on Tommy O’Brien’s injury?

Leinster said it was an ACL injury so that would suggest a 6-9 month layoff.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Daily Mail
'There's definitely the perception that if you're gay you might be soft, but rugby's making progress': Exeter-bound Jack Dunne will soon be the Premiership's only 'out' player and the 6ft 7in, 18st forward is ready to challenge prejudice
• Jack Dunne is the only active professional in rugby union who has come out
• The Leinster star is keen to use his platform to continue the conversation
• Gay Blackpool footballer Jake Daniels revealed his sexuality this week
• His focus is also on the Champions Cup final against La Rochelle next week
Jack Dunne is sitting in one of the bars he used to visit as a teenager, laughing about the days when it hosted underage discos on its sticky dancefloor. He spent his school years tearing up the streets of Dublin, drinking Guinness, but there is one particular night that sticks in his memory.
‘I’d lost my friends on a night out and then the beers tell you what you’re doing,’ he says. ‘I was 18 or so and it was the first time I’d kissed a guy. A random guy in a nightclub. It was cool. It felt liberating. I realised I was bisexual when I was 15 but I kept it under the rug for a few years until I’d kind of accepted it myself. That night I was thinking, “Jeez, I wish I’d got this over with three years ago”.
‘At the same time, I was terrified people would find out. Really paranoid. I didn’t want to get caught. You’re scared of what everyone will think, really. As a teenager, you just want to fit in.’
At 6ft 7in and 18st 12lb, it is not easy to be discreet. Dunne barely fits through the doorways of some of the city’s old-fashioned pubs. Back then, he harboured dreams of making it as a professional rugby player — Leinster being the holy grail — but he was worried about how his team-mates would react. How would a bisexual be received in rugby’s macho, alpha-male world?
‘I was the captain of my school’s senior cup team and I didn’t want to risk anything, so I consciously waited for the rugby season to end before I came out. Obviously in rugby you’re showering with all the lads and stuff so you’re worrying about how they’ll react. I told one friend to start with and it was grand. Then I told everyone else and they were great. It wasn’t a huge thing but it felt like a massive weight off my chest.’
Dunne played for Ireland Under 20s, featuring in the same junior World Cup as Romain Ntamack and Marcus Smith, before eventually achieving his goal of representing Leinster’s first team. By the time he broke through, his sexuality was old news in the dressing room.
‘When I joined Leinster, everyone already knew. I went to a massive rugby school. Just in second rows alone there was James Ryan, Ross Molony, Ryan Baird, Oisin Dowling, myself. I’d always chatted about things with the academy lads and eventually some of the older lads might ask questions about it after a few pints. It was never unspoken. There was no taboo.
‘In teenage rugby locker rooms, it’s probably a more aggressive culture and you could definitely see how younger people would get forced out of the sport. But at this standard, in professional rugby, you can’t be an a***hole. When the Rainbow Cup was launched the other year, Tadhg Furlong was actually pushing for me to be the face of it! He’s a bit of an entrepreneur and was asking for a 30 per cent cut. He’s a mad man. A funny guy.’
Despite being welcomed with open arms, Dunne is the only active professional in rugby union who has come out. And after gay Blackpool footballer Jake Daniels revealed his sexuality this week, he wants to continue normalising the conversations.
‘I have a lot of respect for Jake because the football world is a few steps behind rugby,’ says Dunne, 23. ‘Footballers get a lot more abuse, regardless. They’ve got the World Cup in Qatar which is a bit grim. I’m not a big football fan anyways but even if I was I don’t think I’d be going over to watch it. The sad truth is that money makes the world go around. How can you promote all these rainbow laces campaigns and then consider something like that? Newcastle United tweeted “Well done” to Jake Daniels but then their Saudi owners have some questionable beliefs. Can you really do both?
‘I wasn’t impressed when Russia was touted as a potential host for the rugby World Cup, but our sport is making the right strides. There’s definitely the perception that if you’re gay or bisexual then you might be soft, but that’s obviously not the case. You’d hope we would get to a point where it’s not a thing for someone to come out publicly. You might notice their wedding post on Instagram or whatever and it is what it is. It will probably take a couple more guys before it becomes normalised.
‘Statistically, it would be a pretty big anomaly if there weren’t any more gay rugby players out there. Queer people get a hard time in society as a whole and if society improved then rugby would probably follow a bit.’
Rugby has faced its own battles with homophobia, with former Australia international Israel Folau calling out homosexuality for conflicting with his religious beliefs. Folau’s view is shared by other Pacific Islanders but Dunne has never experienced any problems first-hand.
‘If religion helps you find peace then that’s brilliant, but I don’t know if all of it is applicable to our modern society. People have their beliefs and I might not agree with all of them, but you have to accept people are from different cultures. Would I like to sit down with Israel Folau to talk about it? Not really. I don’t agree with posting things like that all over Instagram.
‘It’s a difficult topic because a lot of players come from very religious backgrounds and that’s what they’ve been taught their whole lives. There are Pacific Islanders at Leinster who are dead sound with it. They’ve been really supportive.’
Dunne is keen to use his platform to open up the conversation. In a few months’ time, he will join Exeter, where he will become the Premiership’s only ‘out’ player. But for now, his focus is on doing everything he can to help with Leinster’s Champions Cup final against La Rochelle next week.
‘La Rochelle are a quality team, so the lads are really geared up for it,’ he says. ‘With Stuart Lancaster, our sessions are so intense so when you go to the match you talk about going to the kill zone. If you get into a boxing match with the French then you’ll probably lose, so you need to move them about. We’re in for a big week.’
And Dunne, for the sport’s greater good, is ready to go into battle with actions as well as words.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Good man Jack
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 12:12 am Good man Jack
Yeah. Fair play to him and good luck in Exeter.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Did Jackman really say that the Leinster wage bill is 12-14m? It was mentioned on Leicester Tigers forum.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

the spoofer wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:17 am Did Jackman really say that the Leinster wage bill is 12-14m? It was mentioned on Leicester Tigers forum.
he said it on the rugbypod
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I’d actually be interested in reading some rugby journalism about Dunne. Like, some analysis of his rugby career, his Leinster experience and why he’s going.
It's such lazy journalism to write the 100th article about his sexuality. Like, he’s been out publicly for years. Fair play to him, of course, but also change the record.

I thought he looked like being a perfect squad member in a position where we have never really produced a player: beefy tighthead lock. Why is he leaving/why are we letting him go? What are his plans/hopes at Exeter?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:27 am
the spoofer wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:17 am Did Jackman really say that the Leinster wage bill is 12-14m? It was mentioned on Leicester Tigers forum.
I call bullshit. Maybe if you include all the coaching staff, CCROs, admin, grounds people etc you might get close but I doubt it.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

the spoofer wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:58 am
mildlyinterested wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:27 am
I call bullshit. Maybe if you include all the coaching staff, CCROs, admin, grounds people etc you might get close but I doubt it.
Yeah he said at the very beginning that he didn't really know but the Welsh and English are going mad for it.
Anyone But New Zealand