Michael Alaalatoa signs for Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Michael Alaalatoa signs for Leinster

Post by wixfjord »

At 132 kg will he be the heaviest player to play for us in pro era?

Stewart Maguire is closest I can think of?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

wixfjord wrote: April 13th, 2021, 6:20 pm At 132 kg will he be the heaviest player to play for us in pro era?

he is listed as lighter these days on the crusaders website at 126kg.

Furlong is listed at 123kg.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on April 13th, 2021, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Fosi must be close?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

wixfjord wrote: April 13th, 2021, 6:20 pm At 132 kg will he be the heaviest player to play for us in pro era?

Ollie Le Roux was listed as 130kg I think.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Maguire was in the academy but never played for the senior side. Ollie le Roux, especially in his second stint, was surely heavier.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

The mighty Clint Newland listed at 134kg.

If we could include Franno, I’d guess he carried about 140kgs the fat arsed lazy Shiite
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: April 13th, 2021, 7:35 pm The mighty Clint Newland listed at 134kg.

If we could include Franno, I’d guess he carried about 140kgs the fat arsed lazy Shiite
I’m not sure what Franno clocked in at but I am sure it was the rest of his pack that carried his weight.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dev is listed at 125 now.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Fosi Pala'amo listed at 146kg.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

For consideration as a chant......the Michael Alaalatoa song...."You can call me Al".....

https://youtu.be/uq-gYOrU8bA
Chant starts at 2:57.......

Now all he has to do is be a try scoring machine......
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

It would be interesting to set up a poll with all the theories to see how will Leinsterfans predict the outcome
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Laighin Break wrote: April 14th, 2021, 5:02 am It would be interesting to set up a poll with all the theories to see how will Leinsterfans predict the outcome
No inside track, pure surmise.

Cian to remain at LHP through 2021-2, Tagdh first choice at THP, Porter to play LHP from 2021-22 and get a 3 Yr central contract in October 2021, and Michael Alaalaoa to be THP No 2 and be a constant in Leinster Squad from September 2021. All four to be Leinster big match Squad members from September 2021.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

if Furlong gets injured long term again, what happens?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:02 am if Furlong gets injured long term again, what happens?
Marty Moore to the rescue.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

hugonaut wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:05 am
mildlyinterested wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:02 am if Furlong gets injured long term again, what happens?
He’s not up to it in my opinion
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The post Healy ERA (he's a true legend.)
Dooley and Byrne will be our LHs
Porter and Furlong our THs
With Byrne, Porter and Furlong away s lot we needed a TH of at least Bent's level in the scrum.
Dooley imho is a better scrummager than Byrne and it's easy to see that he could displace Byrne in the national squad.
It's our next level of backup that is the main concern and that's because of the demands from the national team.
We need the other provinces to step up.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Theleinsterlad wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:29 am
I was half-joking, half not-joking. If Porter moves across to LH, it will leave Ireland exposed at TH.

I like Tom O'Toole as a prospect – I think he has the physical tools to play TH at international level in the future - but he wasn't able to make much of a dent in Jack Boyle in the most recent Ulster 'A' vs Leinster 'A' game, which is probably the match in which I have watched him most closely. Boyle is an U19 straight out of school. Admittedly, he is a tank of an U19 and a blue chip prospect, but O'Toole should really have been able to impose himself. He has got some more road to travel in terms of his scrummaging before he can success at test level. Very good player in a lot of other regards, but a test tighthead is decided by his scrummaging.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

hugonaut wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:36 am
Theleinsterlad wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:29 am

I was half-joking, half not-joking. If Porter moves across to LH, it will leave Ireland exposed at TH.

I like Tom O'Toole as a prospect – I think he has the physical tools to play TH at international level in the future - but he wasn't able to make much of a dent in Jack Boyle in the most recent Ulster 'A' vs Leinster 'A' game, which is probably the match in which I have watched him most closely. Boyle is an U19 straight out of school. Admittedly, he is a tank of an U19 and a blue chip prospect, but O'Toole should really have been able to impose himself. He has got some more road to travel in terms of his scrummaging before he can success at test level. Very good player in a lot of other regards, but a test tighthead is decided by his scrummaging.
I’m going to be cruel here and say while some people regularly shout out front row players in the ulster setup as possibles - to me they have never done it in the big matches and therefore if they can’t handle that level they just won’t cut it in international level. I think many fogey here how poor our irish bench was at TH when furlong was injured and the huge drop off we had when Porter was subbed out. TH is and will continue to be the top three positions for me on the pitch inn needing a worldie to ensure success
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Marty Moore is the best scrummaging tighthead prop in Ireland (and that includes Furlong and Porter) - when he is what passes for fit for marty. He's also a fantastic footballer.

But his fitness is an issue, and not in an Ollie - looks out of shape but can go 80 minutes multiple weeks running - way
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 13th, 2021, 5:13 pm
the spoofer wrote: April 13th, 2021, 4:31 pm I think most of those mentioning Porter back to LH have never put their head in a scrum. It may have been relatively common back 20 years ago for lads to switch but now it's nigh on impossible to do that. He would need months and months of scrummaging at a high level before he would be able to move against any top international team. It's the equivalent of asking Ross B to move to 9.
Did Ross Byrne play 9 for the under 20’s?
Porter is a TH, a very very good one. They are like hens teeth. Why mess with that?