Moderator: moderators

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: Michael Alaalatoa signs for Leinster

Post by RoboProp »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:07 pm
RoboProp wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:02 pm
blaker wrote: April 12th, 2021, 8:58 pm Tremendous signing

Presume it means Porter to loose head for some / many big games? Furlong/this lad and Porter/Healy is an outrageous set. Suspect Byrne may be wondering what his best options are

I’d hope that Bent made the decision to pack it in himself rather than being shuffled off against his will. I know it’s pro sport etc but that guy has been an unbelievable servant and is probably playing his best rugby this season - you’d hope we’ve done right by him.
I think he wanted to go back to NZ and raise his kid closer to family.

I'd hope Ports stays where he is. I'd love to see Milne get a run of games injury free next season. I think he has all the physical attributes to be Healy's long term replacement
Benty had a 2nd kid recently and they are heading home.
Fantastic news. He'll be missed. Although, Lady Robo was a bit too fond of him...and Church, she may have a type :lol:
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

bluemagic wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:21 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: April 12th, 2021, 8:39 pm
bluemagic wrote: April 12th, 2021, 8:34 pm Unless porter is switching this is an absolutely crazy signing. Very disappointed. Foreign players should really add to the squad. Not be third choice in their position
Tadhg Furlong's central contract ends this june.. edit there was: Furlong signed 2 year central contract:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4514651
Furlong is staying. It just hasn’t been announced yet.

If porter moves across to loosehead it’s a strong signing. If he doesn’t it’s a waste of resources IMO. I don’t care how many mins your third choice tight head plays there’s no point in having a great 3rd choice when it comes to knock outs.
Players get injured and in the case of front rows normally when they do they are out for awhile. I like this signing great replacement for benty
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:26 pm
bluemagic wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:21 pm there’s no point in having a great 3rd choice when it comes to knock outs.
Who do you think Ciaran Frawley, Harry Byrne, Dan Sheehan, Scott Penny and Max Deegan should move to?
And Michael Bent’s career has been a sham too seemingly.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

bluemagic wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:21 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: April 12th, 2021, 8:39 pm
bluemagic wrote: April 12th, 2021, 8:34 pm Unless porter is switching this is an absolutely crazy signing. Very disappointed. Foreign players should really add to the squad. Not be third choice in their position
Tadhg Furlong's central contract ends this june.. edit there was: Furlong signed 2 year central contract:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4514651
Furlong is staying. It just hasn’t been announced yet.

If porter moves across to loosehead it’s a strong signing. If he doesn’t it’s a waste of resources IMO. I don’t care how many mins your third choice tight head plays there’s no point in having a great 3rd choice when it comes to knock outs.
There is if someone gets injured.

Also it's a Lion's year. If Porter also makes the plane we're even more down.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Great signing and I have total confidence that Leinster management have a far more comprehensive grasp of all of the relevant factors than any of us on here and have made a great signing, no matter how dedicated we are as fans.

As for the relevance of comments from further south in the island, SFA.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

bluemagic wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:21 pm there’s no point in having a great 3rd choice when it comes to knock outs.
Who do you think Ciaran Frawley, Harry Byrne, Dan Sheehan, Scott Penny and Max Deegan should move to?

There’s clearly a difference between developing players and signing a player to supplement your squad.

In my opinion foreign signings should be people who take you to the next level. Not someone to be 24th man. Obviously I’m wrong if porter moves across
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

2nd choice :mullet 4:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

bluemagic wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:39 pm

There’s clearly a difference between developing players and signing a player to supplement your squad.

In my opinion foreign signings should be people who take you to the next level. Not someone to be 24th man. Obviously I’m wrong if porter moves across
Leinster are limited by the irfu in regards to what position they can sign a NIQ.. someone to replace Bent seems to be the most pressing need to me.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

They all presumably are aiming for a future where they're not third choice anymore, while this guy will never be ahead of Furlong/Porter. This signing doesn't make much sense unless the possibility of Porter switching back is going to be at least seriously explored (not that I necessarily think this is a good idea). If he's only there to be third choice and hold the fort in the league we could have gotten someone much cheaper instead of signing someone from the 23 of one of the (many would say the) best sides in the world.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:41 pm

Leinster are limited by the irfu in regards to what position they can sign a NIQ.. someone to replace Bent seems to be the most pressing need to me.
I would have said we are a bit lighter at loosehead, wing and centre (although plenty on the roster there).
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Peg Leg wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:47 pm

I would have said we are a bit lighter at loosehead, wing and centre (although plenty on the roster there).
Leinster aren't going to allow high profile NIQ signings at those positions IMO
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

This would be my feeling too.
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

bluemagic wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:49 pm

This would be my feeling too.
But you still need IRFU permission and I can't see them doing that as it may block irish players.

Alaalatoa really doesn't.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

munster#1 wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:08 pm There’ll be a few lads falling from some great heights off of those high horses after that announcement.

This signing would be contradictory towards a few comments by the vocal minority over the last few weeks and months.
By the looks of things he will be our only not Irish qualified player next year and in the position he plays we provide 2 viable options to the national team so I’m not sure why anybody would have any complaints.

We had sent tightheads east and south last year and have a guy playing north too. When the two boys are away we will be short enough with only a guy coming back from a year out and an academy prospect so an injury away from disaster without cover
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Tom Clarkson is injured at the minute and I believe it's quite serious.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

elephantman wrote: April 12th, 2021, 8:23 pm Very good player, good signing.

Wonder does that signal that Porter will be moved to loosehead from next season?

I know Alaalatoa will be important when Furlong and Porter are away with Ireland but Leo and Stuart are hardly planning to leave Alaalatoa out of the matchday 23 for big European games having presumably forked out decent money on Alaalatoa.
I highly doubt he's expensive tbh. NZ franchises pay their foreign players a very modest wage.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Doesn’t make sense to me. Vakh and Clarkson are decent back up to the two internationals with McGrath as fifth choice. If it was a RWC year you could possibly see the merit but I’d rather use our NIQ card for a flexible 3/4 with experience who can bring experience during the international window and provide depth for the big games.
In truth, this signing stems from Nucifora sabotaging our succession planning by moving Aungier and Solanoa.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Hmmm.....
For previous NIQ's we managed to chant "Rocky, Rocky, Rocky.."...then "Isa, Isa, Isa..." but "Alaalatoa, Alaalatoa, Alaalotoa" could be a difficult chant to get going....
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Blue Man wrote: April 12th, 2021, 10:52 pm Doesn’t make sense to me. Vakh and Clarkson are decent back up to the two internationals with McGrath as fifth choice. If it was a RWC year you could possibly see the merit but I’d rather use our NIQ card for a flexible 3/4 with experience who can bring experience during the international window and provide depth for the big games.
In truth, this signing stems from Nucifora sabotaging our succession planning by moving Aungier and Solanoa.
It’s a Lions year.

Bent took on a huge workload this year and we are still trying to recover from losing Salanoa and Aungier at once.

Vakh has been long term injured and Clarkson is injured now. If Furlong or Porter were injured we’d be in trouble for the big games.

Above all Leo has been very measured about NIQ signings. If he signs one, it’s because we need one.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

brotheroffrank wrote: April 12th, 2021, 11:29 pm Hmmm.....
For previous NIQ's we managed to chant "Rocky, Rocky, Rocky.."...then "Isa, Isa, Isa..." but "Alaalatoa, Alaalatoa, Alaalotoa" could be a difficult chant to get going....
How about just "Alaa, Alaa, Alah..... on wait...maybe not.
If you remember, Bentys was...
Oh Mickey, you're so fine,
You're so fine you blow my mind,
Hey Mickey!, Hey Mickey!
We could reuse that ?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!