A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Michael Alaalatoa signs for Leinster

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

the spoofer wrote: April 14th, 2021, 12:49 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 13th, 2021, 5:13 pm
the spoofer wrote: April 13th, 2021, 4:31 pm I think most of those mentioning Porter back to LH have never put their head in a scrum. It may have been relatively common back 20 years ago for lads to switch but now it's nigh on impossible to do that. He would need months and months of scrummaging at a high level before he would be able to move against any top international team. It's the equivalent of asking Ross B to move to 9.
Did Ross Byrne play 9 for the under 20’s?
Porter is a TH, a very very good one. They are like hens teeth. Why mess with that?
There are lots of reasons but you didn't answer my question. The answer was no and it's not ridiculous to think that a guy who made his way up as a LH could then revert back a few years later. There might be valid reasons for not wanting him to do that, but to suggest that he couldn't do it is just nonsense.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:56 am Marty Moore is the best scrummaging tighthead prop in Ireland (and that includes Furlong and Porter) - when he is what passes for fit for marty. He's also a fantastic footballer.

But his fitness is an issue, and not in an Ollie - looks out of shape but can go 80 minutes multiple weeks running - way
I really don't think that's true right now. Think I already said this in another thread but there seems to be a direct correlation between his fitness and scrummaging. When he's more mobile around the park he suffers in the scrum.

His general play is actually at a really high level right now, the problem is that he's so bolloxed after every involvement or phase of play that he needs a rest out wide or to go down with an "injury". There's also the tricky situation that having him in the Ireland squad would mean he had fewer minutes on the pitch and that would have a hugely negative impact on him. I rate him and would love to see him come good again but I guess when a guy's fitness is that fragile it probably won't happen.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:56 am Marty Moore is the best scrummaging tighthead prop in Ireland (and that includes Furlong and Porter) - when he is what passes for fit for marty. He's also a fantastic footballer.

But his fitness is an issue, and not in an Ollie - looks out of shape but can go 80 minutes multiple weeks running - way
This day and age you can be all the scrummager you want to be but if you can’t get around the park your no good
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 14th, 2021, 1:15 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 13th, 2021, 5:13 pm

Did Ross Byrne play 9 for the under 20’s?
Porter is a TH, a very very good one. They are like hens teeth. Why mess with that?
There are lots of reasons but you didn't answer my question. The answer was no and it's not ridiculous to think that a guy who made his way up as a LH could then revert back a few years later. There might be valid reasons for not wanting him to do that, but to suggest that he couldn't do it is just nonsense.
How long do you think it would take a lad who played LH at U20 to get up to speed as an international LH? 1 year? 2? What a waste of a significant part of a players career.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Theleinsterlad wrote: April 14th, 2021, 1:36 pm

This day and age you can be all the scrummager you want to be but if you can’t get around the park your no good
I'd much prefer to carry a lad who can scrummage with the best and not get around the pitch (MM) than someone who is great around the pitch but gets bent in two (Denis Buckley)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

the spoofer wrote: April 14th, 2021, 2:38 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 14th, 2021, 1:15 pm
How long do you think it would take a lad who played LH at U20 to get up to speed as an international LH? 1 year? 2? What a waste of a significant part of a players career.
I don't know, but if it's happening (and we don't actually know if it is) then the coaches obviously think they can do it fairly quickly because they wouldn't want to be without him for long. I'd also be shocked if he hasn't kept his eye in by slotting in in training the odd time and I'm pretty sure he has actually scrummed down at LH a couple of times over the last couple of years hasn't he? For example I doubt he didn't put in any time at LH to get ready for the World Cup squad. If that was a disaster then I'm sure the coaches would be against it.

You know he's allowed move back if it doesn't work out right?

And again, he could be the one who wants to be starting LH rather than backup TH. Not sure how anyone could argue with that if it turned out to be the case.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Thats not the case though, the opposite is as true now as it always was and always will be, you can have the worlds most mobile props but if they can't scrummage all they'll be using that mobility for is to go stand underneath the posts as the kicks are being lined up - and this is doubly true at tighthead. If a tighthead prop can't scrummage I don't care if he's quicker than Kolbe, bigger than Veitayaki and with better hands than BOD, he's not getting on the park with a number 3 on his back.

Porter and Furlong are so highly regarded, not because they're great footballers who are super mobile and can also scrummage, its the opposite. They're great scrummagers who are also super mobile and great footballers.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 14th, 2021, 2:56 pm
Thats not the case though, the opposite is as true now as it always was and always will be, you can have the worlds most mobile props but if they can't scrummage all they'll be using that mobility for is to go stand underneath the posts as the kicks are being lined up - and this is doubly true at tighthead. If a tighthead prop can't scrummage I don't care if he's quicker than Kolbe, bigger than Veitayaki and with better hands than BOD, he's not getting on the park with a number 3 on his back.

Porter and Furlong are so highly regarded, not because they're great footballers who are super mobile and can also scrummage, its the opposite. They're great scrummagers who are also super mobile and great footballers.
That reminds me that I've been thinking that Benty actually would have been a great signing for Munster. Not that he's poor around the pitch but obviously he's no Porter/Furlong. I'd have him ahead of Archer and Ryan every single time.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 14th, 2021, 3:35 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: April 14th, 2021, 2:56 pm

That reminds me that I've been thinking that Benty actually would have been a great signing for Munster. Not that he's poor around the pitch but obviously he's no Porter/Furlong. I'd have him ahead of Archer and Ryan every single time.
A choice of going home to New Zealand vs going to Limerick.... hmmmm
:)
Dont Panic!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Bent would have been good for Munster but they wouldn't have wanted him.

Big names only.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

deleted post
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

ronk wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:15 pm Bent would have been good for Munster but they wouldn't have wanted him.

Big names only.
Big names or no names, but not normal names, particularly if they are Irish qualified.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Michael Alaalatoa named to start for Crusaders against the Chiefs.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Post Healy (even with Healy on the bench) Farrell wants Porter & Furlong on the field together for most of the game.

The dividend for Leinster is we will get to go into big games with 2 stellar front rows for 2 seasons: Healy/Porter + Kelleher/Sheehan + Furlong/Alaalatoa.

With the back-rows we have available that leaves just the second row as a little lightweight, literally. Dev will stay for 1 more year to partner Molony when the Ryans are away, with Dunne backing them up.

Just my guess helped along with some insight from a credible source.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

the spoofer wrote: April 14th, 2021, 2:38 pm How long do you think it would take a lad who played LH at U20 to get up to speed as an international LH? 1 year? 2? What a waste of a significant part of a players career.
Porter has covered loosehead at International level as recently as Feb 2020 against Scotland having to go up against Fagerson who had eeked a penalty out of Healy and Cian was lucky there wasn't a second....

And covered it to a impressive standard in the lead up to the RWC against Wales and played there against Russia in the RWC. Against Wales at Loosehead there were 4 scrum penalties and a PT while he packed down

So based on actual evidence I'd wager it would take a lad who covered LH at U20 to get up to speed of an international LH approximately 30 seconds (assuming there is no scrum before that time)
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Yeah, that went so well in twickenham
I have Bumbleflex
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 15th, 2021, 10:38 am Yeah, that went so well in twickenham
The 57-15 game when Porter came on at Tighthead after 53 minutes?
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

backrower8 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 9:50 am Post Healy (even with Healy on the bench) Farrell wants Porter & Furlong on the field together for most of the game.

The dividend for Leinster is we will get to go into big games with 2 stellar front rows for 2 seasons: Healy/Porter + Kelleher/Sheehan + Furlong/Alaalatoa.

With the back-rows we have available that leaves just the second row as a little lightweight, literally. Dev will stay for 1 more year to partner Molony when the Ryans are away, with Dunne backing them up.

Just my guess helped along with some insight from a credible source.
All very plausible.

I think Dunne is good enough and big enough to do well and get a lot of minutes next season alongside Dev or Ross Molony. Just needs to stay out of A&E!

Ross is a very solid player for us and is probably a little under-rated outside Leinster. He is only coming into his prime as a second row now; he has already played 113 games for Leinster in the front five before turning 27, even with two curtailed seasons. He's played European rugby for us for the last six seasons and he has got quite a bit bigger and stronger in that time – he started off listed at 107kg, now he's listed at 113kg.

It seems to me that his scrummaging is a lot stronger than it used to be, and he's a guy I would absolutely trust to run the lineout. I think Fardy moving on and the normal process of him getting older and other senior players [very likely Sean Cronin and Michael Bent] retiring will provide him with some room for growth as a leader, which is something that he has in him.

Dev is the gift that keeps on giving. I assume we'll have him next year, knock on wood. Second rows typically have the longest careers of any position, and he has got an excellent attitude to his work. I think the Pro16 with South African teams will keep him interested, despite his absolutely massive medal collection ... it will be a new experience, a new challenge and a whole different scene that Rodney Parade or Scotstoun in November!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

joooooe wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:38 pm
ronk wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:15 pm Bent would have been good for Munster but they wouldn't have wanted him.

Big names only.
Big names or no names, but not normal names, particularly if they are Irish qualified.
Haley, Farrell, Carbury, Salanoa, Felix Jones, Conway...
Not big names.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Peg Leg wrote: April 15th, 2021, 12:20 pm
joooooe wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:38 pm

Big names only.
Haley, Farrell, Carbury, Salanoa, Felix Jones, Conway...
Not big names.

Pretty big