European Cup Semi-Final: Away to La Rochelle, Sunday 2nd of May 3pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: European Cup Semi-Final: Away to La Rochelle, Sunday 2nd of May 3pm

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschool wrote: May 9th, 2021, 7:04 pm ROG was talking nonsense (as in there's no way I'm telling Leinster what we planned) when referring to targeting Conan and Henshaw.
He knew exactly what our weakest position (neither Conan or Henshaw fit that criteria) was and so it panned out,
It's been our problem position for quite some time now and quite a few punters have mentioned it before.
So what is to do?

I'm not sure that ROG was wrong or what he meant by "targeting" Henshaw and Conan. It's perfectly logical to 'target' the biggest threats of the opposition. Often, in doing so, you try to isolate them or, failing that, double-team them. Leinster did it with Tagdh Beirne on a couple of occasions, notably in a European s/f. I would love to have some idea of the other elements of La Rochelle's tactics. If Henshaw and Conan were our biggest perceived threats, what were our anticipated weaknesses? What weaknesses were they trying to defend on their side?

All the talk about the physical dominance of the LAR front five is not borne out by analysis of the game, until the final ten minutes. Even when Healy was substituted, Byrne survived the scrums well. We certainly missed Rhys and our second-row never had the same impact as in the Exeter game. But neither of those factors was either evident or dominant in the first 30 minutes when we should have capitalised on the opportunities we created but didn't take.

When we have figured out exactly what happened against LAR, and why, we can start to correct it. To jump to easy conclusions before then could be a waste of time and effort.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Here's the OTB interview with RO'G from Friday, where he goes back over the game and answers some questions about his Examiner article. A couple of points standout: 1. he finds the reaction to the Leinster loss among Irish rugby punditry as overblown as the expectation, that we were going to trounce them; 2. he questions the whole "power rules" narrative; 3. he identifies LAR's superior kicking on the day as being decisive in the end result. And he also waxes lyrical about his bromance with Felipe....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ju5PLvRtc&t=905s
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 9th, 2021, 8:42 pm

When we have figured out exactly what happened against LAR, and why, we can start to correct it. To jump to easy conclusions before then could be a waste of time and effort.
Since we won the Heineken Cup we have been losing talent to other provinces and losing some (1 a year is all it takes) of our big games against super (budget) clubs.

This year we've been pushed to the limits with injuries. The 2 most patched together positions were scrumhalf and outhalf, both positions we could have been glad to still have those players.

We've been nearly there for 3 years because the IRFU decided it suited them to weaken us in favour of other provinces.

There are always many factors and maybe if we had been a bit better things might have been different regardless. But people made a choice, they should own it and learn from it. Leinster just need to build.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Sorry guys can someone just clarify for me ......the winner of this group (Northern Hemisphere), plays the winner of the South African group, in a final somewhere, is that how this thing culminates? Have I got that right?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeinsterLeader wrote: May 10th, 2021, 9:11 am Sorry guys can someone just clarify for me ......the winner of this group (Northern Hemisphere), plays the winner of the South African group, in a final somewhere, is that how this thing culminates? Have I got that right?
As things stand there are no plans for the winners of the Rainbow Cup (NH) to play the winners of the Rainbow Cup (SA) due to the various, fluctuating, restrictions on travel etc.

All, some, or none of that may or may not change or stay the same. By the time I've posted this everything could be different.
I have Bumbleflex
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Thanks, Dave (and apologies to all for putting this in the wrong thread I thought I was putting it it the Conn match thread). So at the moment (assuming the SA's are out of the equation) does this mean that whoever tops the group wins or is there a top 2 Final?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ronk wrote: May 9th, 2021, 11:33 pm

Since we won the Heineken Cup we have been losing talent to other provinces and losing some (1 a year is all it takes) of our big games against super (budget) clubs.

This year we've been pushed to the limits with injuries. The 2 most patched together positions were scrumhalf and outhalf, both positions we could have been glad to still have those players.

We've been nearly there for 3 years because the IRFU decided it suited them to weaken us in favour of other provinces.

There are always many factors and maybe if we had been a bit better things might have been different regardless. But people made a choice, they should own it and learn from it. Leinster just need to build.
I said this a couple of years ago when Joey left for Munster. You need a squad of top level internationals to win the Champions Cup. Losing players of the quality of Joey, Jordi Murphy, Jack McGrath etc is a huge blow to our ability to compete. Not sure we can complain about Cooney but he was probably the best Irish scrum half on display that weekend.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeinsterLeader wrote: May 10th, 2021, 9:37 am Thanks, Dave (and apologies to all for putting this in the wrong thread I thought I was putting it it the Conn match thread). So at the moment (assuming the SA's are out of the equation) does this mean that whoever tops the group wins or is there a top 2 Final?
Yep, the latter, 6 rounds of games, one table, top two play off in the final.
I have Bumbleflex
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 10th, 2021, 9:55 am
LeinsterLeader wrote: May 10th, 2021, 9:37 am Thanks, Dave (and apologies to all for putting this in the wrong thread I thought I was putting it it the Conn match thread). So at the moment (assuming the SA's are out of the equation) does this mean that whoever tops the group wins or is there a top 2 Final?
Crystal. Many Thanks
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Oldschool wrote: May 9th, 2021, 7:04 pm ROG was talking nonsense (as in there's no way I'm telling Leinster what we planned) when referring to targeting Conan and Henshaw.
He knew exactly what our weakest position (neither Conan or Henshaw fit that criteria) was and so it panned out,
It's been our problem position for quite some time now and quite a few punters have mentioned it before.
So what is to do?

I'm not sure that ROG was wrong or what he meant by "targeting" Henshaw and Conan. It's perfectly logical to 'target' the biggest threats of the opposition. Often, in doing so, you try to isolate them or, failing that, double-team them. Leinster did it with Tagdh Beirne on a couple of occasions, notably in a European s/f. I would love to have some idea of the other elements of La Rochelle's tactics. If Henshaw and Conan were our biggest perceived threats, what were our anticipated weaknesses? What weaknesses were they trying to defend on their side?

All the talk about the physical dominance of the LAR front five is not borne out by analysis of the game, until the final ten minutes. Even when Healy was substituted, Byrne survived the scrums well. We certainly missed Rhys and our second-row never had the same impact as in the Exeter game. But neither of those factors was either evident or dominant in the first 30 minutes when we should have capitalised on the opportunities we created but didn't take.

I would agree that there is a lot of over reactions to an away semi final loss in France against one of their in form trams. But for the yellow card in the middle of the second half we would have been in a stronger position. I think VDF was out on the wing a few times which weakens our forwards defence.

If you played the game in Dublin and/or we had fewer injuries and/or didn't get a yellow then who knows.

I do think we need to see a 9 coming through as it is an area of weakness. We are producing a number of good back 3 options and I wonder if any of the academy or sub academy backs could be converted to 9s.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Not that relevant to the match but I’m so sick of hearing “KBA“ after a player makes an offload etc. You’d swear that ROG invented the offload when he did that interview after the Gloucester game and now commentators credit him whenever they see one.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 10th, 2021, 11:45 am Not that relevant to the match but I’m so sick of hearing “KBA“ after a player makes an offload etc. You’d swear that ROG invented the offload when he did that interview after the Gloucester game and now commentators credit him whenever they see one.
Managing media narratives is his greatest skill. He's catnip to journalists. Not just Irish ones either, the English love him too.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Every generation throws a hero up the pop chart
I have Bumbleflex
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 10th, 2021, 12:36 pm Every generation throws a hero up the pop chart
Slow day?
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 10th, 2021, 11:45 am Not that relevant to the match but I’m so sick of hearing “KBA“ after a player makes an offload etc. You’d swear that ROG invented the offload when he did that interview after the Gloucester game and now commentators credit him whenever they see one.
They'll get over it eventually - it was like the game where BOD mentioned exit strategy and for weeks it was all any of the commentators talked about
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

joooooe wrote: May 10th, 2021, 2:07 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: May 10th, 2021, 12:36 pm Every generation throws a hero up the pop chart
Slow day?
Listening to Blue Aeroplanes and it came to mind
I have Bumbleflex
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 10th, 2021, 9:55 am
Just one quick point - in his presser last week Lancaster mentioned that we will only have 5 games as our scheduled match v Bulls is cancelled. He said we would have Glasgow and Dragons - to add to Ulster obviously
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Xanthippe wrote: May 10th, 2021, 5:50 pm
They'll get over it eventually - it was like the game where BOD mentioned exit strategy and for weeks it was all any of the commentators talked about
Ha I remember that alright! It was the same with “tighthead locks”...can’t remember what sparked it (Brad Thorn?) but once it was mentioned somewhere it then became law that it had to be brought up every time a second row or scrum was being discussed.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Was that Damien Browne?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LAR blew their chance of catching (or passing) Toulouse at the top of the Top14 tables last night in going down to Brieve away from home. Fielding a very much second-string Squad they failed to score a try and were beaten by 24-12. Another feather in the coaching caps of Jeremy Davidson & James Coughlan

Montpelier continued with late season form in defeating Toulon at home, despite Toulon fielding their strongest available group.

For LAR, it now looks as if their last game against Clermont will allow them to retain their home advantage position in the "barrage".

Toulon should still make the "barrage" but it could be tight.