European Cup Semi-Final: Away to La Rochelle, Sunday 2nd of May 3pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: European Cup Semi-Final: Away to La Rochelle, Sunday 2nd of May 3pm

Post by riocard911 »

Victor Vito quoted today in the42, that it's an "honour" for LAR to be coming up against Leinster in the Heino semi. Sounds like the opposition is taking this fixture extremely seriously. We're gonna have to be right on the money to get out of France with a win. A touch of the green might come in handy freisin! Fingers crossed!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Bougarit v Kelleher is a fascinating battle.

Very similar hookers. Same age, similar bustling. style and almost exact same weight/height according to Wiki.

A big performance from Ronan might put him on the plane to SA.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Really think be should be in the running. Hope he demands inclusion tomorrow!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Fan with smartphone wrote: May 1st, 2021, 3:56 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: May 1st, 2021, 3:14 pm
domhnallj wrote: May 1st, 2021, 2:05 pm Not sure about the fitness issue with LaR. From what I remember Skelton went the 80 versus Sale and he was always a solid 50 minute man. Maybe ROG has found his engine or the game was slow but it didn’t seem slow to me.
Lost a bit of weight alright.

We still have to move their pack though.
Agree here - he’s been playing out of his skin in what I have to warn you is a brilliant team. Botia is the best player Henshaw has faced in a long time and I don’t really see a weakness. They are in better nick than the French teams of old, well coached, with superb players. I think they are a step up from Exeter and It’ll rank up there with what I view as Leinster’s best win, the Clermont one with the last gasp D’Arcy tackle, to beat them.
Do you regard West as a top 10?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LAR might beat us tomorrow.

But nothing they've shown would indicate they're a 'brilliant' team.

This is the furthest they've ever been in Europe. They've beaten Edinburgh, Glos and Sale to get here.

I'm usually very negative about big knockout games. But I'm confident about tomorrow I must say.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

We're f%~ked so!
I have Bumbleflex
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

the spoofer wrote: May 1st, 2021, 7:53 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: May 1st, 2021, 3:14 pm

Lost a bit of weight alright.

We still have to move their pack though.
Agree here - he’s been playing out of his skin in what I have to warn you is a brilliant team. Botia is the best player Henshaw has faced in a long time and I don’t really see a weakness. They are in better nick than the French teams of old, well coached, with superb players. I think they are a step up from Exeter and It’ll rank up there with what I view as Leinster’s best win, the Clermont one with the last gasp D’Arcy tackle, to beat them.
He’s not Daniel Carter, but I don’t see him as a weakness. He’s a running threat himself, plays flat and is a decent passer. I don’t think he’s a fantastic kicker from hand, but he gets their system, makes use of the players around him, has been around the block and is a better player than Brock James in my book.

It’s going to be a great game.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote: May 1st, 2021, 9:41 pm LAR might beat us tomorrow.

This is the furthest they've ever been in Europe. They've beaten Edinburgh, Glos and Sale to get here.

I'm usually very negative about big knockout games. But I'm confident about tomorrow I must say.
That is true, you get yourself into knots in the build up to the game to the point that the opposition are unbeatable.
Later on after we've "tore them a new one" you play down the victory, shoulda won by more and so on.
So now I'm worried.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

blockhead wrote: May 1st, 2021, 10:46 pm

That is true, you get yourself into knots in the build up to the game to the point that the opposition are unbeatable.
Later on after we've "tore them a new one" you play down the victory, shoulda won by more and so on.
So now I'm worried.
You've a weird fascination with me blockhead I must say! :wink:
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

blockhead wrote:

So now I'm worried.
My pessimism levels are as high as ever, so there’s some consistency for you
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Fan with smartphone wrote: May 1st, 2021, 9:56 pm
the spoofer wrote: May 1st, 2021, 7:53 pm

He’s not Daniel Carter, but I don’t see him as a weakness. He’s a running threat himself, plays flat and is a decent passer. I don’t think he’s a fantastic kicker from hand, but he gets their system, makes use of the players around him, has been around the block and is a better player than Brock James in my book.

I’ve seen him 3 or 4 times this year and I do see him as a weakness.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

the spoofer wrote: May 1st, 2021, 11:41 pm
Fan with smartphone wrote: May 1st, 2021, 9:56 pm He’s not Daniel Carter, but I don’t see him as a weakness. He’s a running threat himself, plays flat and is a decent passer. I don’t think he’s a fantastic kicker from hand, but he gets their system, makes use of the players around him, has been around the block and is a better player than Brock James in my book.

I’ve seen him 3 or 4 times this year and I do see him as a weakness.
I would speculate that he's improved significantly since playing for the Blues then if that's your assessment.
Always seemed especially flakey in a flakey Blues team. Could score an amazing try/create one or be totally missing in a limp Blues team.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Prediction time.
Preamble first.
All the talk has been about Rog but as Mildly has pointed out in other threads "Forwards Win Games"
Coming in mostly under the radar is the LAR forwards coach, a certain Mr Gibbs which is a setting of concern.
Prediction
Leinster but it's going to be tough up front and nervy behind. The deciding factor, I hope, will be Ire... eh Leinster's experience of the big occasion and the recent exposure to International rugby.
Having an English referee is also to our advantage.
C'mon L'einster.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Said this before elsewhere - we produce the same performance level from Sandy Park - we win this...handily. But for Christ sake without the 14 point head start!
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

tingman wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 12:37 pm Said this before elsewhere - we produce the same performance level from Sandy Park - we win this...handily. But for Christ sake without the 14 point head start!
It’s as simple as that
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Just a note on the 9s.

While we're all clearly hoping Luke lasts the 80, LAR will need TKB to last too.

They've Retiere as 9 on the bench, who is predominately a back three player and hasn't started a game for them at 9 since 16/17 season.

TKB was injured two weeks ago against Lyon too.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Did everybody survive the captain’s run.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

A lot of La Rochelle supporters waving the players in. Not a lot of social distancing going on. Is that not a thing over there? :shock:
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

LeinsterLeader wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 1:42 pm A lot of La Rochelle supporters waving the players in. Not a lot of social distancing going on. Is that not a thing over there? :shock:
They’re wearing masks
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

God Im nervous all morning these European games that I don’t get to go to and drink my nerves asleep before the game are doing serious damage to my health 😂