European Cup Semi-Final: Away to La Rochelle, Sunday 2nd of May 3pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: European Cup Semi-Final: Away to La Rochelle, Sunday 2nd of May 3pm

Post by cormac »

Jonny tight lips wrote: April 29th, 2021, 2:09 pm Be great to see an auld drop goal, can’t remember last time I seen us score a drop. I’m 09 we got a drop in the semi and a couple on the final.
We haven't scored a drop goal since April 2017. Ross Byrne with a match-winner in the league away to the Ospreys.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

cormac wrote: April 29th, 2021, 2:45 pm
Jonny tight lips wrote: April 29th, 2021, 2:09 pm Be great to see an auld drop goal, can’t remember last time I seen us score a drop. I’m 09 we got a drop in the semi and a couple on the final.
We haven't scored a drop goal since April 2017. Ross Byrne with a match-winner in the league away to the Ospreys.
Did Rob not get one in Bordeaux against Clermont in 2012 ?
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I've been a bit disappointed with the build up too. There's less sport on than usual for this time of year so you'd think it'd get more coverage. In particular, the rugby podcast Ive been listening to have largely eschewed it in favour of moot Lions selection debates and coverage of the Munster game in the Rainbow Cup (the far more entertaining Ulster v. Connacht seems to have been missed).

But then again, the Ulster semi final is barely getting a mention so maybe we should be happy with what we've got.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

That’s a fair auld gap, be gas if we got one the weekend
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Personally, I hate Leinster away games being on a Sunday, as every away victory on the Friday or Saturday in the tournament reduces our statistical chances of winning and makes me even more nervous.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Blue not red blood wrote: April 29th, 2021, 3:01 pm
He did. An absolute cracker of a DG.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

He did but 2012 is five years before 2017.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

riocard911 wrote: April 29th, 2021, 3:13 pm Personally, I hate Leinster away games being on a Sunday, as every away victory on the Friday or Saturday in the tournament reduces our statistical chances of winning and makes me even more nervous.
That is not how statistics work.....

Away wins are more likely than ever now though with COVID
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

bluemagic wrote: April 29th, 2021, 4:26 pm
riocard911 wrote: April 29th, 2021, 3:13 pm Personally, I hate Leinster away games being on a Sunday, as every away victory on the Friday or Saturday in the tournament reduces our statistical chances of winning and makes me even more nervous.

Agree totally but I know what he means... I get the same jitters if it happens, even though it makes no sense!
Dont Panic!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dexter wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:00 pm
bluemagic wrote: April 29th, 2021, 4:26 pm

Agree totally but I know what he means... I get the same jitters if it happens, even though it makes no sense!
Don't worry young Dexter. We're going to tear them a new one.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Twist wrote: April 29th, 2021, 3:05 pm I've been a bit disappointed with the build up too. There's less sport on than usual for this time of year so you'd think it'd get more coverage. In particular, the rugby podcast Ive been listening to have largely eschewed it in favour of moot Lions selection debates and coverage of the Munster game in the Rainbow Cup (the far more entertaining Ulster v. Connacht seems to have been missed).

But then again, the Ulster semi final is barely getting a mention so maybe we should be happy with what we've got.
The irish podcasts and radio have been very poor when you consider 2 irish teams have reached the near peak of a major sport in Europe. I’ve got used to the cr@p coming out about Munster every time Leinster is mentioned but in fairness I think it’s been really harsh on Ulster getting little or no coverage for their game. I’m personally looking forward to the game on Friday as well and hope SUFTUM do the business m. Would be great to possible see two irish Pro12 teams in the finals
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

For all those 'nervous nellies' like me, there is partial alleviation available in watching the Q/F against Chiefs again. Yes, we have very different opponents but it was a joy to watch (and also to listen to two knowledgeable co-commentators) Leinster grow throughout a game after 0-14 within 10 minutes.

Really enjoyed it and it has calmed the nerves a bit. Remember, this was also without Ringer, James Ryan and JGP and coming after successive weekends of England and Munster for 11 players in our Squad.

The reaction after that scrum penalty for Ross to push our score to 34 was like a watch spring uncoiled - tension dissipating before your eyes. COYBIB
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

No team leaks knocking around yet?
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Only poster I’ve seen with reliable pre-announcement info is Lock9541, maybe they have some insider knowledge?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Theleinsterlad wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:30 pm
Twist wrote: April 29th, 2021, 3:05 pm I've been a bit disappointed with the build up too. There's less sport on than usual for this time of year so you'd think it'd get more coverage. In particular, the rugby podcast Ive been listening to have largely eschewed it in favour of moot Lions selection debates and coverage of the Munster game in the Rainbow Cup (the far more entertaining Ulster v. Connacht seems to have been missed).

The irish podcasts and radio have been very poor when you consider 2 irish teams have reached the near peak of a major sport in Europe. I’ve got used to the cr@p coming out about Munster every time Leinster is mentioned but in fairness I think it’s been really harsh on Ulster getting little or no coverage for their game. I’m personally looking forward to the game on Friday as well and hope SUFTUM do the business m. Would be great to possible see two irish Pro12 teams in the finals
So funny if we could do a Double Paddy.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

cormac wrote: April 29th, 2021, 3:53 pm

He did but 2012 is five years before 2017.
Thought we are talking HC games
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

What about sexto against LIrish in the last minute?
Homer
Bookworm

Post by Homer »

Presume team will be something like this:

15. Keenan
14. Larmour
13. Ringrose
12. Henshaw
11. Lowe
10. Byrne
9. McGrath
8. Conan
7. Van der Flier
6. Ruddock
5. Ryan
4. Toner
3. Furlong
2. Kelliher
1. Healy
16. Tracey
17. Byrne
18. Porter
19. Fardy
20. Baird
21. O’Sullivan??
22. Frawley
23. Kearney
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Agree that the build up has been very low key. Also, the ROG vs Leinster narrative is lazy and boring.
Presume we’ll try to move their big pack around. It’s vital that we don’t give away soft tries in the 3/4s and hopefully Ringer coming back will improve the defensive cohesion.
I think Kearney may get in ahead of Larmour as a more reliable defender. I’m praying that JGP recovers as HOS isn’t a credible player at this level. Replacement fly half also interesting and we need either Harry (unlikely) or Frawley (can he get through a warm up?!!) to be fit.
I’m nervous about their scrum where we really need to gig in but think line out will go well and we’ll be more dynamic in the loose. I think we’ll need to score tries and the forecast is for dry, cool weather, perfect for phase rugby.
I think we have the engine through a really well drilled pack and try scorers in Lowe and Ringer. We just need the half backs to manage the game and if they do, we’ll win. Can’t wait!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Homer wrote: April 30th, 2021, 12:14 am Presume team will be something like this:

15. Keenan
14. Larmour
13. Ringrose
12. Henshaw
11. Lowe
10. Byrne
9. McGrath
8. Conan
7. Van der Flier
6. Ruddock
5. Ryan
4. Toner
3. Furlong
2. Kelliher
1. Healy
16. Tracey
17. Byrne
18. Porter
19. Fardy
20. Baird
21. O’Sullivan??
22. Frawley
23. Kearney
What if Doris is fit? Would you drop Fardy?