European Cup Semi-Final: Away to La Rochelle, Sunday 2nd of May 3pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: European Cup Semi-Final: Away to La Rochelle, Sunday 2nd of May 3pm

Post by CiaranIrl »

Last night's game definitely gave me the Heebie-jeebies about what the halfback selection for next week might be. It seems very possible that Sexton and/or JGP might be missing, so the question is who might bench. The noises from Cullen about Frawley seemed hopeful after the match - he had a 'tight hamstring' - so hopefully he will make it is Harry and Sexton don't.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 24th, 2021, 10:11 pm I think there’s an argument to be made that we don’t pick a scrumhalf on the bench next week. I wouldn’t pick one tbh.
Play Dave on the wing and have Larmour as reserve scrumhalf on the bench is the way I'd go after seeing his contribution in that position in the Munster match compared to either HO'S' or Cormac Foley's.....
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Best case scenario for next weekend is something like

Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, Rhys, VDF, Conan, Luke, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringer, Larmour, Keenan
Tracy, Byrne, Porter, Fardy, Baird, JGP, Byrne, ROL/DK

Big questions are around Doris, JGP and Sexton.

The latter two in particular would put a very different complexion on the side.

Overall though we're not in bad shape. Being able to put out that 1-8 and 11-15 and have some sort of bench impact too is pretty good.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

wixfjord wrote: April 25th, 2021, 12:56 pm Best case scenario for next weekend is something like

Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, Rhys, VDF, Conan, Luke, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringer, Larmour, Keenan

Overall though we're not in bad shape. Being able to put out that 1-8 and 11-15 and have some sort of bench impact too is pretty good.

At last , a little bit of sense returning to this forum...the over the top reaction to the Munster match result and the writing off of this Leinster team is laughable. We are spoiled by the team we support, and hopefully La Rochelle will buy into doom and gloom , as peddled by many posters. I firmly believe that the Leinster brains trust will have whatever 23 are privileged to don the blue jersey next week, primed and well capable of progressing to the final.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

alanair wrote: April 25th, 2021, 1:43 pm

At last , a little bit of sense returning to this forum...the over the top reaction to the Munster match result and the writing off of this Leinster team is laughable. We are spoiled by the team we support, and hopefully La Rochelle will buy into doom and gloom , as peddled by many posters. I firmly believe that the Leinster brains trust will have whatever 23 are privileged to don the blue jersey next week, primed and well capable of progressing to the final.
Can you point out some of that please?

Because all I saw was some call it a meaningless game and some (myself included) say they were disappointed with the lack of a performance from quite a few of our guys and the size of the defeat in a home game against our biggest rivals.

Like I think everyone would agree that the game last night will have very little impact come Sunday, other than giving a few guys run outs.

Who is peddling doom and gloom?

Could it be that you're overreacting to the reaction? :lol:
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

I thought the team looked very heavy legged from the start.
Wonder if they had a serious week of hard training with next week in mind.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Where is this narrative that Munster are our biggest rivals coming from?
Connacht beat us more than they do.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Avenger wrote: April 25th, 2021, 3:35 pm Where is this narrative that Munster are our biggest rivals coming from?
Probably Ulster too...
Dont Panic!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Avenger wrote: April 25th, 2021, 3:35 pm Where is this narrative that Munster are our biggest rivals coming from?
Presumably because 10 years ago, they were our only realistic rivals for trophies, and all the rugby journalists live in the past as much as George Hook.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

H.O.
Munster Rugby
Musgrave Park, (Edited)
Cork
Co. Cork.
Ireland.
Alternatively.
H.O.
Munster Rugby
Thomond Park,
Limerick.
Co. Limerick.
Last edited by Oldschool on April 26th, 2021, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

Can gladly state that you can use the Musgrave Park address again for the grounds in Ballyphehane, Cork.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Me thinks some of you doth protest too much.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

wixfjord wrote: April 25th, 2021, 12:56 pm Best case scenario for next weekend is something like

Doris won't be in contention now that he still has no gametime, so for this week I don't see him in the equation at all.

Can't see how Sexton makes it, given everything spouted to date. Question now is whether Harry or Frawley are fit to bench.

JGP ain't going to make it either, and I don't think you can risk no backup 9. SO I guess you've gotta pick HOS and hope Luke lasts the 80.

Think I'd now go DK over ROL, and have Larmour as break glass center cover.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Depends on your point of view I guess. I started watching rugby in the 80's and Ulster were the team to beat and of course they won the European Cup before any other Irish team. Half my family are from Ulster too so they are always the team i want to be beat most.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Currently our biggest rivals are Saracens.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Degz wrote: April 26th, 2021, 9:40 am

Doris won't be in contention now that he still has no gametime, so for this week I don't see him in the equation at all.

Can't see how Sexton makes it, given everything spouted to date. Question now is whether Harry or Frawley are fit to bench.

JGP ain't going to make it either, and I don't think you can risk no backup 9. SO I guess you've gotta pick HOS and hope Luke lasts the 80.

I'd start Kearney and have Larmour on the bench personally. In fact, I'd go for a 6/2 split on the bench with Frawley & Larmour covering the backs if Sexton & JGP aren't fit. This game will be all about the forwards. If we can start Ryan, Toner, Ruddock, VDF, Conan and have Fardy, Baird and one of Doris or Penny on the bench, that would be a serious set of loose forwards.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

CiaranIrl wrote: April 26th, 2021, 10:59 am
Degz wrote: April 26th, 2021, 9:40 am

I'd start Kearney and have Larmour on the bench personally. In fact, I'd go for a 6/2 split on the bench with Frawley & Larmour covering the backs if Sexton & JGP aren't fit. This game will be all about the forwards. If we can start Ryan, Toner, Ruddock, VDF, Conan and have Fardy, Baird and one of Doris or Penny on the bench, that would be a serious set of loose forwards.
Frawley is injured so is Harry.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

la Rochelle wingers are flyers not sure Kearney has the speed for them tbh
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Degz wrote: April 26th, 2021, 10:49 am Currently our biggest rivals are Saracens.
Hopefully just a temporary little arrangement.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

JB1973 wrote: April 26th, 2021, 11:17 am la Rochelle wingers are flyers not sure Kearney has the speed for them tbh
He has the defensive nous.