Rainbow Cup Rd 1: Saturday, 24 April: Leinster v Munster – KO 7.35pm, RDS Arena

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Rainbow Cup Rd 1: Saturday, 24 April: Leinster v Munster – KO 7.35pm, RDS Arena

Post by wixfjord »

blaker wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:44 pm

I’d have preferred to win but anybody suggesting this was the be all and end all is performing.

Congrats on that beautiful strawman argument there :lol:

Literally (and I mean that in the literal way) nobody is suggesting that.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't expect a better performance from guys who are so high rated.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Re: Rainbow Cup Rd 1: Saturday, 24 April: Leinster v Munster – KO 7.35pm, RDS Arena

Post by Theleinsterlad »

wixfjord wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:42 pm That was poor. Hopefully none of the lack of aggression seeps into next week.

We never really looked like getting into that game.

Nick McCarthy will be a big step up as a third choice 9 next year.

Hawkshaw at 10 is a bit of worry. He's not hugely athletic and doesn't look like he can control a game at all.
For me that game showed big frailty in our 9-10 position. My frustration is if McCarthy didn’t make the move to Munster he would be even further developed under the Leinster structure and we wouldn’t have been as exposed. Let’s be honest if Luke was playing tonight he would have given his pack a rollicking after the first 10 mins and got them to at least clear out the rucks for him - that’s what an experienced 9 gives you. Hackshaw is only learning his trade throwing him into that game with a green 9 as well is asking way too much. We need to give him time
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Most of us were expecting a loss as Munster were full strength whereas Leinster had 4 guaranteed starters (Ryan, Ringrose, Lowe, Larmour), 2 of which were back from injury.
In some positions we were down to 3rd, 4th, 5th choice players!

All that said, 3 points is a very disappointing return considering the talent that was there
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

It was a poor performance and it’s annoying to lose - zero disagreements.
But context is critical here. Our scrum half crucified our backs. We played with our 4th, arguably 5th choice 10.
Our pack did poorly - no debate - but I think the contrasting motivation and focus comes in here. While none of them phoned it in do you reckon Baird Porter and Ryan weren’t minding themselves a little bit for next week? Penny just back from injury. Sheehan did OK. Murphy and Moloney I’d be looking at with a critical eye
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Yeah we were rucked so many balls, they were mad for it. Luke would have struggled out there tonight.
Hopefully it sharpens minds for next week when we have something to actually play for.
Munster were good tbh, they can play y'know.
Last edited by blockhead on April 24th, 2021, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blaker wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:44 pm Sure yeah. Cool.

I’d have preferred to win but anybody suggesting this was the be all and end all is performing.

On or with the La Rochelle game? The Munster game a few weeks back?

I’m annoyed we lost but I’m also kind of tickled by how wound up Munster were for a quasi exhibition warm up game
It wasn't a quasi exhibition warm up game though - you might not value this competition, and it's organisation has left a lot to be desired, but its our primary domestic competition for the remainder of the season. We used to slag the bejaysus out of Munster for sacking off domestic competitions to concentrate on Europe
I have Bumbleflex
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Depressing waste of time. Think we would have been better just training.....suppose it served served a purpose to give Ryan and Ringers a stretch......Amazed at how long we left Ringers and Ryan on so long mind you, would have yanked them at halftime with the hijinks from Archer etc al and winced everytime Lowe and Larmour were on the ball considering the hijinks going on.

Anyway depressing watching if you are Munster fan. Kinda felt sorry for them by the end of it......

And as for Liam Toland !! Dear God.....
CollapsedMaul
Beginner

Post by CollapsedMaul »

That loss was good for us.

1. Focussed minds in a key week
2. Talented youth got served. Learn.
3. Key players have time in a meaningful match.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

blockhead wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:46 pm Fair play. We were never in with a shot, Munster were all over us. Did we even get anywhere near their try line?
DDA had a good game but I felt sorry for HOS, nothing to work with. Hope for good news on the injury front.
BTW Archer is a dirty little.....has a history dosent he.
Cant wait for the Play.
Yeah we got close to their line 2 or 3 times but were turned over. Admittedly the poachers were off their feet but our breakdown work was poor.
Dont Panic!
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

I thought Hawkshaw did quite well, he’s a 12 I think going forward but he’s had to step in to 10 a few times. Would have been a great game for Harry Byrne to see how he would go with such poor ball.

We had a decent pack out but it was very disjointed for whatever reason, we gave O’Sullivan absolute shite ball. I’m not saying he was good but we needed to help him and we did the opposite. I felt sorry for him. We never got the backs going because the ball was so bad. Opportunity missed on our ball.

I thought we were competitive though without the ball and I think that’s where I disagree about it being similar to the Connacht game (which I remember being absolutely fuming about),I thought we tried hard we just didn’t play that well and got outmuscled by Munster which most of us expected would happen (going on the comments before the game). That was Munster’s first choice 15 let’s not beat around the bush.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:51 pm

I’m annoyed we lost but I’m also kind of tickled by how wound up Munster were for a quasi exhibition warm up game
It wasn't a quasi exhibition warm up game though - you might not value this competition, and it's organisation has left a lot to be desired, but its our primary domestic competition for the remainder of the season. We used to slag the bejaysus out of Munster for sacking off domestic competitions to concentrate on Europe
We already won our domestic competition.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:47 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:43 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:37 pm Well that was very poor.

It wasn't a meaningless game, it was a game in our domestic cup competition and it was an interpro against a provincial rival, and in that regard our performance was very disappointing. The result is one thing, but for so many supposedly promising players to phone one in is very poor
who phoned it in?
Our back 5 for a start - wiped out at the breakdown (15 turnovers conceded), and monstered at the maul. Penny was just about acceptable maybe I guess perhaps.
He wasn’t really. Ryan in the first 40 and Sheehan stood their ground. That was it.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

We did learn one thing though.....if Luke doesn't play 80 mins next week (assuming JGP is out) we could be in trouble as HOS is a very poor passer. Yes he had a mare with the messy ruck ball but lost count on the number of passes he threw behind players or at their head.

Fingers crossed Luke stays fit for 80 next week.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

wixfjord wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:46 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:43 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:37 pm Well that was very poor.

It wasn't a meaningless game, it was a game in our domestic cup competition and it was an interpro against a provincial rival, and in that regard our performance was very disappointing. The result is one thing, but for so many supposedly promising players to phone one in is very poor
who phoned it in?
Our backrow did anyway.
In fairness, (we can all share our opinions about POM but) they were up against 2 established internationals at 6 & 8, whereas our 6 and 8 were playing out of position.
Murphy would be Leinster's 5th choice 8, Penny is Leinster's 4th choice 7, and hard to say where Baird falls in the pecking order at 6 (3rd choice maybe?)
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:51 pm

Fair.

And I don’t think we should sack it off for the duration. But we do have much bigger fish to fry in the short term.

And I’d be astonished - through no fault of their own and ignoring this game specifically - if the players don’t reckon this is a second rate comp. it’ll never be played again in this format and the structure / format is being constructed on the fly.

I’d happily lean towards development in this. Not playing pure kids teams but it’s a bit of a free hit (in my view to be fair).
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Laighin Break wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:54 pm

In fairness, (we can all share our opinions about POM but) they were up against 2 established internationals at 6 & 8, whereas our 6 and 8 were playing out of position.
Murphy would be Leinster's 5th choice 8, Penny is Leinster's 4th choice 7, and hard to say where Baird falls in the pecking order at 6 (3rd choice maybe?)
There's definitely mitigating factors, but all three were blown away physically too.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Hard to argue that matters when we took off our best players with the game in the balance.

Just imagine trying to pump everyone up and get back into it and then seeing Ringrose and Ryan being taken off. It was meaningless.

We were still shite though. We looked okay when the pack took over and tried to pick and go, and when other players stepped in at 9 to keep the ball moving. Other than that, very poor.

Hawkshaw is very quick and has a nice pass but that’s pointless if you just stand still and throw it long. He needs to stick to 12 and have a 10 that he can play off.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Absolutely dreadful performance but somewhat expected. As others have said, we are in trouble at 9 after our second choice. I also think we got confirmation that Josh Murphy is a lighter than average lock or a taller than average blindside, he isn't a number 8 - he really didn't look comfortable at tonight against strong opposition.
Last edited by neiliog93 on April 24th, 2021, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Couldn’t help but have a smile at Leo as he spoke about the game there. Saying the guys got a lesson and they will have to learn the next time they get their chance. Sounds like this game has just made his selection chats with certain players easier for the next few weeks during europe
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Looking at the Munster players at the end of the game, you get the sense that the overriding feeling was "thank Gawd we didn't lose that one". Could they have gone home if they had lost? POMs interview was telling I thought, defending his team.
Sheehan can shift can't he.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!