Rainbow Cup Rd 1: Saturday, 24 April: Leinster v Munster – KO 7.35pm, RDS Arena

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Rainbow Cup Rd 1: Munster @TheRDS

Post by ronk »

cormac wrote: April 12th, 2021, 4:32 pm Tricky decision. In 2019 we had three weeks between the quarter-final v Ulster and the semi-final v Toulouse. We had two league games in between, both at home, against Treviso and then Glasgow.

Team that lined up for the semi-final and whether they played in between the qf and sf

1. Cian Healy (sub v Glasgow - 40 minutes)
2. Sean Cronin (sub v Glasgow - 40 minutes)
3. Tadhg Furlong (sub v Glasgow - 25 minutes)
4. Devin Toner (start v Glasgow - 80 minutes)
5. James Ryan (didn't play either game - 0 minutes)
6. Scott Fardy (start v Treviso - 80 minutes)
7. Sean O'Brien (start v Glasgow - 58 minutes)
8. Jack Conan (didn't play either game - 0 minutes)

9. Luke McGrath (start v Treviso - 75 minutes)
10. Johnny Sexton (didn't play either game - 0 minutes)
11. James Lowe (start v Treviso - 80 minutes)
12. Robbie Henshaw (start v Glasgow - 58 minutes)
13. Garry Ringrose (didn't play either game - 0 minutes)
14. Jordan Larmour (start v Glasgow - 80 minutes)
15. Rob Kearney (start v Glasgow - 61 minutes)

Reckon it'll be a case of trying to get some of the walking wounded back on the pitch, anyone with a niggle won't feature, but we'll still field a strongish side IMO.
Thats how I see it
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

What do we see the starting team being? A mix of youth / fringe and players returning from injury? I think we'll look something like this :

15. Jimmy O'Brien
14. Jordan Larmour
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Ciarán Frawley
11. Dave Kearney
10. Harry Byrne
9. JGP
8. Caelin Doris
7. Scott Penny
6. Josh Murphy
5. James Ryan
4. Ross Molony
3. Andrew Porter
2. James Tracy
1. Ed Byrne

16. Sheehan
17. Dooley
18. Bent
19. Fardy
20. Connors
21. HOS
22. Ross Byrne
23. Rory O'Loughlin
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

I'd be surprised if Connors was back.

agree that i'd like to see HB start this with Frawley.

If TOB is available i'd start him at 14.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on April 13th, 2021, 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

erskinechilders wrote: April 13th, 2021, 10:46 am What do we see the starting team being? A mix of youth / fringe and players returning from injury? I think we'll look something like this :

15. Jimmy O'Brien
14. Jordan Larmour
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Ciarán Frawley
11. Dave Kearney
10. Harry Byrne
9. JGP
8. Caelin Doris
7. Scott Penny
6. Josh Murphy
5. James Ryan
4. Ross Molony
3. Andrew Porter
2. James Tracy
1. Ed Byrne

16. Sheehan
17. Dooley
18. Bent
19. Fardy
20. Connors
21. HOS
22. Ross Byrne
23. Rory O'Loughlin
Like that team - great midfield!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

erskinechilders wrote:What do we see the starting team being? A mix of youth / fringe and players returning from injury? I think we'll look something like this :

15. Jimmy O'Brien
14. Jordan Larmour
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Ciarán Frawley
11. Dave Kearney
10. Harry Byrne
9. JGP
8. Caelin Doris
7. Scott Penny
6. Josh Murphy
5. James Ryan
4. Ross Molony
3. Andrew Porter
2. James Tracy
1. Ed Byrne

16. Sheehan
17. Dooley
18. Bent
19. Fardy
20. Connors
21. HOS
22. Ross Byrne
23. Rory O'Loughlin
I like the look of that but isn’t Penny still going to be out injured?
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

hugonaut wrote: April 13th, 2021, 10:56 am
erskinechilders wrote: April 13th, 2021, 10:46 am What do we see the starting team being? A mix of youth / fringe and players returning from injury? I think we'll look something like this :

15. Jimmy O'Brien
14. Jordan Larmour
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Ciarán Frawley
11. Dave Kearney
10. Harry Byrne
9. JGP
8. Caelin Doris
7. Scott Penny
6. Josh Murphy
5. James Ryan
4. Ross Molony
3. Andrew Porter
2. James Tracy
1. Ed Byrne

16. Sheehan
17. Dooley
18. Bent
19. Fardy
20. Connors
21. HOS
22. Ross Byrne
23. Rory O'Loughlin
Like that team - great midfield!
Agree mouth watering midfield there
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Kick-off times and dates for the first three rounds of the Guinness PRO14 Rainbow Cup have now been confirmed.

As previously announced, Leinster Rugby will take on Munster at the RDS Arena in their opening game with that one kicking off at 7.35pm on Saturday, 24 April.

There is a two week gap to round two, during which Leinster will take on La Rochelle in European action.

On Saturday, 8 May, Leinster will make the trip to The Sportsground to face Connacht, also kicking off at 7.35pm.

Leinster’s final confirmed fixture, at home to Ulster, will be played on Friday, 14 May, at 8.15pm.

Confirmation for Rounds 4-6 will follow once PRO14 Rugby has received all necessary approvals and permissions from the relevant governments and health authorities for the South African teams to travel.

Guinness PRO14 Rainbow Cup Fixtures (Rounds 1-3)

Saturday, 24 April: Leinster v Munster – KO 7.35pm, RDS Arena – Host Broadcaster: eir Sport

Saturday, 8 May: Connacht v Leinster – KO 7.35pm, The Sportsground – Host Broadcaster: TG4

Friday, 14 May: Leinster v Ulster – KO 8.15pm, RDS Arena – Host Broadcaster: eir Sport
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Rainbow Cup Rd 1: Saturday, 24 April: Leinster v Munster – KO 7.35pm, RDS Arena

Three innovative law variations have been approved by World Rugby for use in the Guinness PRO14 Rainbow Cup – Red Card Replacements, Captain’s Challenge and Goal-line drop-outs.

https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/news/law ... ainbow-cup
odyboody
Knowledgeable

Re: Rainbow Cup Rd 1: Saturday, 24 April: Leinster v Munster – KO 7.35pm, RDS Arena

Post by odyboody »

not sure about the red card rule.
send out low grade player to take out key opposition player. he gets sidelined for 20 while key player is out of match.
replace sidelined player with your real player you intended for the match and you have 60 minutes to come good.
Cynical I know, but Hay Richard Cockerel's Quinns, say no more
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:00 pm Three innovative law variations have been approved by World Rugby for use in the Guinness PRO14 Rainbow Cup – Red Card Replacements, Captain’s Challenge and Goal-line drop-outs.

I understand the first two, but goal-line drop-outs don't seem to make sense. Nobody is going to kick to compete anymore. You'll just hoof it as long as possible and set up to defend. What am I missing here?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

odyboody wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:15 pm not sure about the red card rule.
send out low grade player to take out key opposition player. he gets sidelined for 20 while key player is out of match.
replace sidelined player with your real player you intended for the match and you have 60 minutes to come good.
red card rule is a joke.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

joooooe wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:18 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:00 pm Three innovative law variations have been approved by World Rugby for use in the Guinness PRO14 Rainbow Cup – Red Card Replacements, Captain’s Challenge and Goal-line drop-outs.

I understand the first two, but goal-line drop-outs don't seem to make sense. Nobody is going to kick to compete anymore. You'll just hoof it as long as possible and set up to defend. What am I missing here?
the SH are doing it therefore the NH has to try it.

not a fan of trying to remove scrums out of the game, which this rule is designed to do.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:19 pm
not a fan of trying to remove scrums out of the game, which this rule is designed to do.
I dont agree with that. Its designed to reward good defending. I don't agree with it but it will mean teams are more likely to try and score out wide where there is less likelihood of being held up.

The red card decision is a joke. There has to be in match consequences for getting sent off. This is a get out of jail rule for teams who hit someone high. Teams can now, feasibly, target an opposition player, hit him high on purpose. The opp. player has to go off for a HIA and the offending team get to go back to 15 in 20 minutes time.

This all stems from the All Blacks getting 2 red cards last year and John Kirwan kicking up a massive fuss saying that red cards ruin games. Time for WR to stand up for themselves and double down on removing high tackles from the game.

I think there has been a clear improvement in high tackles since they started to crack down on them in the NH.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

They're not trying to penalise the attacking team from getting held up. The point seems to be encouraging the attacking team to try and exploit space to get over the line rather than pick/latch/drive.

There is so little risk to an attacking team 5m from the line when the options are either pick and go for 20 phases or get a 5m scrum.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

When I first heard of the goal-line drop-out I thought it would just be where the ball is held up. Don't think I like that it will replace 22m drop-outs from a ball touched down in goal. It will remove the part of the game where the defender waits for the opposition to get close before touching the ball down, and then legs it up to the 22/throws it forward to a teammate for a quick drop-out
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Laighin Break wrote: April 15th, 2021, 2:29 pm When I first heard of the goal-line drop-out I thought it would just be where the ball is held up. Don't think I like that it will replace 22m drop-outs from a ball touched down in goal. It will remove the part of the game where the defender waits for the opposition to get close before touching the ball down, and then legs it up to the 22/throws it forward to a teammate for a quick drop-out
I initially was a bit against that touch in goal rule too but thinking about it I think it's beneficial.

It will encourage defending teams to have a bit more cover in the backfield meaning more space for the attacking team.

It will also encourage teams to try the more speculative chips through as the reward is now greater as if the defending team gets there first, the attacking team still gets the ball back in the opposition third
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

I know I'm being pedantic but a cockerel is a bird and Richard Cockerill never coached Harlequins. Dean Richards perhaps?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Hay like for a horse or a cow? Cockerrill has no association whasoever with Whelans or Quins.

In stepping thru the hypotehical there. THat doesn't make much sense as you still end up with out the "real" player for over 20 minutes and likely more 30-40 before the "dumby" player executes vicious match ending assault on key player. They'd still be subject to disciplinary hearing too I'd imagine.

I think it's worth trying to see how it goes and especially in a nothing tournament like this. It might make refs more inclined to issue red cards(until they've given out a certain number) or it might make players more reckless because it's only a red.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Is it time to gamble a little with half an eye on the HCC S/F the following week.
Munster were very flat in the Pro final so it's resonable to assume that they will up it significantly for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Gamble number one, start HOS with LMcG on the bench if JGP isn't available.
Gamble number two, start H Byrne with Sexton and R Byrne on the bench.
So backs bench trio is LMcG, Sexton and RByrne always assuming Sexton is available.
Assuming we took those gambles could we still beat Munster?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

arsebiscuits1 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 2:43 pm
Laighin Break wrote: April 15th, 2021, 2:29 pm When I first heard of the goal-line drop-out I thought it would just be where the ball is held up. Don't think I like that it will replace 22m drop-outs from a ball touched down in goal. It will remove the part of the game where the defender waits for the opposition to get close before touching the ball down, and then legs it up to the 22/throws it forward to a teammate for a quick drop-out
I initially was a bit against that touch in goal rule too but thinking about it I think it's beneficial.

It will encourage defending teams to have a bit more cover in the backfield meaning more space for the attacking team.

It will also encourage teams to try the more speculative chips through as the reward is now greater as if the defending team gets there first, the attacking team still gets the ball back in the opposition third
Grubber kicks in behind the defence to trap them inside their in-goal area sounds an awful lot like league