Rainbow Cup Rd 1: Saturday, 24 April: Leinster v Munster – KO 7.35pm, RDS Arena

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Rainbow Cup Rd 1: Saturday, 24 April: Leinster v Munster – KO 7.35pm, RDS Arena

Post by Twist »

Oldschool wrote: April 15th, 2021, 3:10 pm Is it time to gamble a little with half an eye on the HCC S/F the following week.
Munster were very flat in the Pro final so it's resonable to assume that they will up it significantly for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Gamble number one, start HOS with LMcG on the bench if JGP isn't available.
Gamble number two, start H Byrne with Sexton and R Byrne on the bench.
So backs bench trio is LMcG, Sexton and RByrne always assuming Sexton is available.
Assuming we took those gambles could we still beat Munster?
I suppose it depends on what you consider gambling. I think we'd all sacrifice the Rainbow Cup for a win in La Rochelle.

Now that we know there's an 8 day gap to the SF the calculation changes a little. Anyone who is rested for Munster will have gone 22 days (minumum) without a game by the time we play La Rochelle.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Re: Rainbow Cup Rd 1: Saturday, 24 April: Leinster v Munster – KO 7.35pm, RDS Arena

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 15th, 2021, 3:29 pm
Grubber kicks in behind the defence to trap them inside their in-goal area sounds an awful lot like league
If it benefits the game of Union in the long run I don't mind
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
odyboody
Knowledgeable

Post by odyboody »

paddyor wrote: April 15th, 2021, 2:54 pm
odyboody wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:15 pm not sure about the red card rule.
send out low grade player to take out key opposition player. he gets sidelined for 20 while key player is out of match.
replace sidelined player with your real player you intended for the match and you have 60 minutes to come good.
Cynical I know, but Hay Richard Cockerel's Quinns, say no more
Hay like for a horse or a cow? Cockerrill has no association whasoever with Whelans or Quins.

In stepping thru the hypotehical there. THat doesn't make much sense as you still end up with out the "real" player for over 20 minutes and likely more 30-40 before the "dumby" player executes vicious match ending assault on key player. They'd still be subject to disciplinary hearing too I'd imagine.

I think it's worth trying to see how it goes and especially in a nothing tournament like this. It might make refs more inclined to issue red cards(until they've given out a certain number) or it might make players more reckless because it's only a red.
3 mistakes in 4 words, I win today's screw up award
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

We will probably select a team comparable to team versus La Rochelle minus players with high mileage this season. Key is getting playing assessment on Ringer, JGP (if available), James Ryan, Caelan Doris and any other long-term injuries.

Picking Frawley at 12 might make sense only if they are considering Henshaw at 13 v La Rochelle. However, that might be a risk as Botia is their key midfielder IMO. Mark him tightly and you reduce LAR to West's grubber kicks and double skip passes to full-back or wingers. Doumeroux (?) is not the threat he was.

Relevance of Munster as opponents is minimal. The objective is prep for EPCR semi-final.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Rainbow Cup will be shown live in Australia on @StanSportAU
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I agree with the above that with an 8 day turnaround to LAR we'll probably go pretty full for this.

I definitely wouldn't be risking the likes of Healy, Henshaw or any of the backrow personally, but we may want to get the combinations going.

If JGP is going to be out for the semi, then we need HOS to get at least half an hour here to bring him up to speed a bit. I'd nearly bench him with Ross & Robbie to bring on together, as that's could will happen in last 20-30 against LAR.

Definitely wouldn't be going hell for leather for this though. It's a pretty meaningless warmup game for the week after.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Training photos and injury update expected today should give a good indication of where we're at for both this and more importantly the LAR games.

Hopefully JGP, Ringer, Ryan, Doris are all out on the paddock.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I don't think seeing Ryan or Doris in the paddock this week is any firm indicator of availability for LAR - they were 'training' pre Exeter.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster Rugby Head Coach Leo Cullen has issued an injury update ahead of the Guinness Rainbow Cup game against Munster Rugby this Saturday in the RDS Arena (Kick Off: 7.35pm – live on Eir Sport & RTÉ Radio).

Scott Penny has recovered from a hand injury, while Tommy O’Brien has also recovered from an ankle injury and both will train fully this week and will be available for selection.

There was also positive news for four other players who have been on the injured list for a few months.

Will Connors (knee), Garry Ringrose (ankle), Calean Doris (concussion) and James Ryan (concussion) are all due to increase their involvement in training this week and will be further assessed as the week continues before final selection is made.

Jamison Gibson-Park, who sustained a hamstring injury in the build up to the cancelled Toulon game, will also require further assessment this week ahead of selection.

Johnny Sexton is unavailable for selection this week. Sexton entered the Graduated Return to Play Protocols after the Exeter game and is having further assessment and once complete and all information is to hand, a further update will be given.

There was no new injury update on the following players:

Jack Dunne (ankle), Jimmy O’Brien (hamstring), Rowan Osborne (hand), Adam Byrne (quad), Dan Leavy (knee), Conor O’Brien (knee) and Max Deegan (knee)
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

That sounds promising for Ryan, Doris, Ringrose and Connors with regard to La Rochelle, at least.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Twist wrote: April 19th, 2021, 2:11 pm That sounds promising for Ryan, Doris, Ringrose and Connors with regard to La Rochelle, at least.
I wouldn’t count on it
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

yeah... does sound hopeful alright. I think Ringer of them all is the one we could do with most. ROL hasn't let us down; but Ringer is a big step up. After that it's Ryan for me, then Doris or Connors.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ah that's brilliant news overall!

Hopefully JGP isn't too bad, he's the big one now.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote: April 19th, 2021, 2:16 pm Ah that's brilliant news overall!

Hopefully JGP isn't too bad, he's the big one now.
only need him for la rochelle.. id he doesn't make this week we will survive..
CollapsedMaul
Beginner

Post by CollapsedMaul »

You’d like to see it :
O’Reilly, TOB, Garry, Frawley, DaveK, Ross, JGP
Byrne, Tracey, Porter, Baird, Ryan, Connors, Penny, Doris
/// Sheehan, Dooley, vakh, Moloney, murphy, HOS, Harry, jamie Os.
🌈💪🏽
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Delighted Tommy O’Brien is fully fit again.

He sustained that ankle injury against Ospreys on November 8 so he’s been out for 5 months.

He was one of our best players before he got injured. Looks a terrific player and can do a job on the wing if required.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/2104060/

JSex, Doris, Ryan, Ringrose and Penny all visible in training photos.

Although in the case of the first three I'm not sure how much that means given Doris & Ryan have been training for weeks.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Great to hear that Dorris is on the mend. I must say that I was getting worried by the lack of news regarding his concussion issues.

Hopefully the rest has given him the chance to get right, and it will not be a reoccurring problem.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

elephantman wrote: April 19th, 2021, 3:28 pm Delighted Tommy O’Brien is fully fit again.

He sustained that ankle injury against Ospreys on November 8 so he’s been out for 5 months.

He was one of our best players before he got injured. Looks a terrific player and can do a job on the wing if required.
He suffered a hamstring injury in training some time in February just as he was coming back from that ankle injury.

https://m.facebook.com/leinsterrugby/ph ... &source=57
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

elephantman wrote: April 19th, 2021, 3:28 pm Delighted Tommy O’Brien is fully fit again.

think Tommy has a huge future on the wing for Leinster if he can stay injury free