Champions Cup 1/4 Final: Exeter V Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

bluemagic
Enlightened

Champions Cup 1/4 Final: Exeter V Leinster

Post by bluemagic »

As we know our opponents know I thought it was tome to start the match day thread.

This is as tough of a game as any of our matches against Saracens over the last number of years (albeit it without the mental block). Exeter are absolutely ruthless once they get in your 22 and without any turnover experts in our team we’ll really struggle to stop them once they get there. A super disciplined performance is vital. The set piece which seems to have improved since Saracens last year is going to be really tested.

The return of Ryan, Ringrose or Doris for us (in that order) will make a huge difference if we can get them back
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Champions Cup 1/4 Final: Exeter V Leinster

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

They looked really really strong yesterday, I’m apprehensive about this one
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Didn’t see the game yesterday but from what I’ve read and from the scoreline it appears that we will have to play exceptionally well next weekend to win. I do feel that if we can finesse our way past Exeter we will have a good chance of winning the Cup.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Anybody else notice the countdown timer to the next match says 5days 11hrs in Sandy park on the Leinster app. Didnt see times officially announced yet but looks like Saturday
Last edited by Jonny tight lips on April 4th, 2021, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yep, this is going to be a mighty battle.

I think the winners of the competition may come from this game.

Side I'd go for, assuming we have Ryan back and JGP fit (fingers crossed). I assume Doris won't be back.

Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, Rhys, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, DK, Henshaw, ROL, Larmour, HK
Tracy, Byrne, Porter, Fardy, Baird, JGP, Byrne, Lowe

I don't think you can start Ryan/Baird against Exeter personally, and possibly would go with Dev for lineout security.

Lowe will be targeted defensively too, I'd start DK.
Last edited by wixfjord on April 4th, 2021, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Whoever has the lower penalty count will win this
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Theleinsterlad wrote: April 4th, 2021, 12:29 pm Whoever has the lower penalty count will win this
Whoever can keep Sexton on the pitch for 80 minutes will win this.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Go after them where they're strongest. Scrum and lineout. We have two of the best in winning oppositions ball at the lineout in Fardy and Ryan. Put them to work like Ireland did against Scotland.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

wixfjord wrote: April 4th, 2021, 12:27 pm Yep, this is going to be a mighty battle.

Side I'd go for, assuming we have Ryan back and JGP fit (fingers crossed). I assume Doris won't be back.

Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, Rhys, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, DK, Henshaw, ROL, Larmour, HK

I don't think you can start Ryan/Baird against Exeter personally, and possibly would go with Dev for lineout security.

I think we'll need a Scott Fardy type hard edge in the forwards, Exeter's line out was poor at times yesterday.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

outcast eddie wrote: April 4th, 2021, 1:42 pm
wixfjord wrote: April 4th, 2021, 12:27 pm Yep, this is going to be a mighty battle.

I think we'll need a Scott Fardy type hard edge in the forwards, Exeter's line out was poor at times yesterday.
Fardy and Ryan would be a great starting pair with impact from Baird off the bench. Would love to see DS in n the bench to give us another player to give huge impact coming on. Like the idea of DK starting maybe get Murphy back into the bench if available.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I watched the match vs Lyon yesterday. I'll tell yiz something for nothing: if we manage to beat that Exeter team on their home patch - and thereafter win the semi and final - there will be no bloomin' asterisk after the fifth star!!!!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

riocard911 wrote: April 4th, 2021, 3:25 pm I watched the match vs Lyon yesterday. I'll tell yiz something for nothing: if we manage to beat that Exeter team on their home patch - and thereafter win the semi and final - there will be no bloomin' asterisk after the fifth star!!!!
They are a serious team. Really well coached, really physical, lots of depth and they have some class operators in Slade, Hogg and the No8 of the brothers [who is greased f*cking lightening!]
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Exeter very good and play a not dissimilar game to Leinster. I’d play Toner and try to get a squeeze on them in set piece. Any chance of Ringer returning?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

outcast eddie wrote: April 4th, 2021, 1:42 pm

Yeah maybe so, and Fardy would have a greater ruck impact than Dev too. I just think Dev's lineout/maul/scrum capability might be useful against a side that prides itself on forward dominance.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Blue Man wrote: April 4th, 2021, 4:21 pm Exeter very good and play a not dissimilar game to Leinster. I’d play Toner and try to get a squeeze on them in set piece. Any chance of Ringer returning?
It was 4-6 weeks mentioned and the Scot game was three weeks ago I think.

So probably unlikely.
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

A win at Exeter, and a final win afterwards, would be the Harlequins/Clermont away signature European win for some of the younger members of this team.
Furlong ,Ringrose,Luke,Josh and James Ryan etc..were riding the crest of a wave in 18.
Grand Slam H Cup/League double and unbeaten run etc and they all have been great but this would put the subsequent Saracens losses to bed....for a while at least.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

This would be a huge win for us. Would definitely ease the pain of the back to back Saracens losses (something I suppose Exeter can probably empathise with).

On the other hand if we lose this team is going to start having the underperforming tag thrown at them, with some justification. A loss here wouldn't be unforgiveable but in conjunction with the last two years.

Anyway, I'm reasonably confident we can get it over the line. Definitely some flaws in the team but our set piece seems to have improved from last year and if we can get a slight edge there it could be the difference.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

huge game, a loss could be defining for this team, given previous results in europe.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 4th, 2021, 5:24 pm huge game, a loss could be defining for this team, given previous results in europe.
What do you mean by defining?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

backrower8 wrote: April 4th, 2021, 5:29 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: April 4th, 2021, 5:24 pm huge game, a loss could be defining for this team, given previous results in europe.
What do you mean by defining?
that this current leinster side would become more known for falling short at the highest level in europe than for successes it has had

if that would be fair or not is a separate discussion, but certainly the narrative would be that leinster when tested in europe would have fallen short 3 times in a row to the top english side.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on April 4th, 2021, 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.