Champions Cup 1/4 Final: Exeter V Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Re: Champions Cup 1/4 Final: Exeter V Leinster

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Delighted for Vakh, hope to see him in the rainbow cup but disappointing to not even get an update on Ryan considering he would be expected back by now and it’s such a huge game. Don’t think even an initial date for ringer has been announced in theses “updates”, although I heard 4-6 weeks through other media.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Brain injury does not care about your (or my) disappointment.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

ronk wrote: April 5th, 2021, 2:35 pm Brain injury does not care about your (or my) disappointment.
I don’t really know what that has to do with it, all I’m saying is that for the senior players it would be nice to get an estimate of when they will return as you often see with the other provinces updates.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
ronk wrote: April 5th, 2021, 2:35 pm Brain injury does not care about your (or my) disappointment.
I don’t really know what that has to do with it, all I’m saying is that for the senior players it would be nice to get an estimate of when they will return as you often see with the other provinces updates.
It's up to the players, if there's not updates it's because they don't want there to be updates
I have Bumbleflex
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Dave Cahill wrote: April 5th, 2021, 2:47 pm
Jonny tight lips wrote:
It's up to the players, if there's not updates it's because they don't want there to be updates
Fair, hope he’s alright, out longer than expected.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Raynal announced as ref, scrum battle will be interesting. Breakdown will be a bit of a free for all
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Jack Dunne out for 16 weeks with a fractured ankle.

We really have been riddled with injuries this season. Every Monday update seems to bring a new injury.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

We've had Raynal ref us three times before. Two of them were heavy defeats to Wasps in 2015-16 while the other game was a win away to Bath in December 2018.

Ireland have a 100% record with Raynal including victories over South Africa, New Zealand, Argentina, Scotland, Wales (x2) and the recent win at home to England.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Paddy Power currently have both Leinster and Exeter at 10/11 with 22/1 for a draw.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

D4surfer wrote: April 5th, 2021, 5:14 pm Paddy Power currently have both Leinster and Exeter at 10/11 with 22/1 for a draw.
that's generous to us, me thinks. you never see a bookie on a bike, they say.

Baxter is a good coach...and he has a decent squad. Was impressed with hill last week...scored 2 tries I think. He just reached over and dotted down standing on the 22.

Lyon were poor, it has to be said. Started off great...but fell apart once the penalty count started rising.

I guess that's a lesson for us next saturday...i.e. keep our discipline and penalty count down to a minimum.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Both teams have changed quite a fair bit since we last met at Sandy Park. We won 18-8 that time with a dominant forwards display, and absolutely dominated every aspect of that game. We choked the life out of them in the second half in particular.

We also only conceded 6 penalties that day (but Cronin did concede a yellow for a high tackle I think, which was the period they crossed for their try).

Since then, Exeter have added a lot of quality to their side. Hogg, Gray and Vermeulen mainly. We’ve lost some of the quality we had on display that day, some of the greatest players to ever play for the province as it happens — Nacewa, Sean O’Brien, Rob Kearney and McFadden, and we’ll be without Ringrose and Ryan who both featured that day too.

I think that massively narrows the gap, and evens feels pretty fair from an odds point of view. Probably won’t be a game of the highest quality, but should be an intense and nerve wracking game.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ciano having had the last weekend off after the England and Munster matches with Tadhg Furlong hitting his stride after a long injury lay-off could be decisive for us in the battle of the front rows.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Am slightly worried abot Ryan and Doris not being available.

But JGP not being available could turn out to be a much bigger issue.

If McGrath goes down after 10 minutes we're done for.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

wixfjord wrote: April 5th, 2021, 8:47 pm Am slightly worried abot Ryan and Doris not being available.

If JGP is unavailable and McGrath goes down early, I think we could adjust by playing a very tight game - lots of kicking and one-pass phases, picks-and--goes, etc.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: April 5th, 2021, 8:47 pm Am slightly worried abot Ryan and Doris not being available.

Definitely worried about Ryan not being in there, I thought he would be. Doris would be a bit of a risky call, he hasn't played in months. Hopefully Josh Murphy is available for selection, I think he could be a good option on the bench. He has had a good season for us.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Don't worry son, we'll tear them a new one!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Ryan & Doris trained yesterday anyway..
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 6th, 2021, 9:21 am Ryan & Doris trained yesterday anyway..
That’s somewhat positive but Doris has trained for a good few weeks now. I’d love to see him on a pitch but would be happy to see Leinster adopt an overly cautious approach with both players.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

sounds like that's what they are doing, going by Felipe's comments in the media.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The pictures would suggest that Ryan is at Stage 5 of the RTP - as thats the first stage where contact is allowed and Stage 6 is available for selection.
I have Bumbleflex