Champions Cup 1/4 Final: Exeter V Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Champions Cup 1/4 Final: Exeter V Leinster

Post by Dave Cahill »

bluemagic wrote: April 9th, 2021, 2:26 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: April 9th, 2021, 2:21 pm Not starting Dave a big mistake IMO.
Agreed, will be very worried about Lowe's defence for the entirety of this game. Exeter will have a clear target on his back now.
yeah, but he's not playing for Ireland, he's playing for a good, well organised, team who's system he's familiar with.
I have Bumbleflex
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

That was a let down!

Leinster Rugby versus RC Toulon was going to kick-off the long Easter weekend and I'm sure I wasn't the only Leinster fan to have made special arrangements to be ready to watch the game at the early 5:30pm kick-off. Instead we had to make do with London Irish versus Cardiff in the Challenge Cup (which did turn out to be a bit of a classic in fairness complete with a late Sean O'Brien cameo). The positive COVID-19 test which led to Toulon effectively conceding the game was unfortunate and it leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth. It's a horrible way to lose a game but also not a great way to win either. But unfortunately these are the times we're living in and you just hope that the remaining seven fixtures are won and lost on the pitch.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 9th, 2021, 2:21 pm Not starting Dave a big mistake IMO.
+1
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Flash Gordon wrote: April 9th, 2021, 1:48 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: April 9th, 2021, 12:21 pm
Leinster Lout wrote: April 9th, 2021, 12:16 pm

Would they actually?!

Wouldnt have thought West Country folk would be so minded (unless they dont get a say?)
Liverpool had to postpone their game the day after Diana died and that would be quite a republican city and she was no longer a member of the royal family
It's a European competition and we don't have a window to replay it. If they want to do their empire thing it's nothing to do with European rugby in my view. The hysteria around Diana was off the wall by the way.
They're holding a minutes silence at football matches and 2 minutes at Aintree. We're definitely on. Of all the royals, he's the only one I would have liked to have gone for a pint with.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 9th, 2021, 2:51 pm
Agreed, will be very worried about Lowe's defence for the entirety of this game. Exeter will have a clear target on his back now.
yeah, but he's not playing for Ireland, he's playing for a good, well organised, team who's system he's familiar with.
True but he does still have defensive frailities which a good team like Exeter will seek to exploit.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote: April 9th, 2021, 10:01 am
bluemagic wrote: April 9th, 2021, 9:48 am
mildlyinterested wrote: April 9th, 2021, 8:25 am https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 91083.html

Leinster are expected to opt for experience over youth in the one major selection dilemma ahead of Saturday’s mouth-watering Heineken Champions Cup quarter-final clash against Exeter Chiefs.

Leo Cullen is set to stick with almost the same XV he named to face Toulon in last weekend’s postponed game, with Scott Fardy pushing to get the nod ahead of Ryan Baird.
I think this makes sense, more from the perspective of having a strong bench to impact coming on. At least we'll have Baird and Porter providing some impact off the bench (not sure about the impact from Byrne, Tracey or Moloney...... would rather it was Dooley, Sheehan and Josh Murphy). JGP, RB and JL (whichever one it is!) would be good impact from the backs
Man Tracey gets a doing on here, I don't get it. He's way ahead of Sheehan for me.
Everyone always likes the shiny new thing
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: April 9th, 2021, 3:29 pm
bluemagic wrote: April 9th, 2021, 9:48 am

I think this makes sense, more from the perspective of having a strong bench to impact coming on. At least we'll have Baird and Porter providing some impact off the bench (not sure about the impact from Byrne, Tracey or Moloney...... would rather it was Dooley, Sheehan and Josh Murphy). JGP, RB and JL (whichever one it is!) would be good impact from the backs
Man Tracey gets a doing on here, I don't get it. He's way ahead of Sheehan for me.
often for good reason.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

D4surfer wrote: April 9th, 2021, 3:15 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: April 9th, 2021, 1:48 pm

Liverpool had to postpone their game the day after Diana died and that would be quite a republican city and she was no longer a member of the royal family
It's a European competition and we don't have a window to replay it. If they want to do their empire thing it's nothing to do with European rugby in my view. The hysteria around Diana was off the wall by the way.
They're holding a minutes silence at football matches and 2 minutes at Aintree. We're definitely on. Of all the royals, he's the only one I would have liked to have gone for a pint with.
Yeah but get Andrew or Margaret p!ssed enough and you might have heard a few stories to raise the hair on your head, always assuming you're not bald.
Wouldn't mind getting Megan on a polygraph either.
Last edited by Oldschool on April 9th, 2021, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 9th, 2021, 3:30 pm

often for good reason.
It’s often the shinyness
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave is EXTREMELY unlucky and I would have been happy if he'd been picked. That being said, not picking Lowe pre-6 nations would have been unimaginable. If you want to counter Exeter's game plan you definitely play Dave, if you want to impose our game plan on Exeter you play Lowe in my view. The selection shows belief in what we are about.We shall see!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Flash Gordon wrote: April 9th, 2021, 3:44 pm
Dave is EXTREMELY unlucky and I would have been happy if he'd been picked. That being said, not picking Lowe pre-6 nations would have been unimaginable. If you want to counter Exeter's game plan you definitely play Dave, if you want to impose our game plan on Exeter you play Lowe in my view. The selection shows belief in what we are about.We shall see!
Larmour is hardly un-dropable.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

It's Larmour I'm concerned about, not Lowe. They'll target him in the air, and he will need to hold his own there.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote: April 9th, 2021, 12:38 pm Thomas Francis starting is interesting. He's usually a bencher. Clearly they want a bit of beef to take on our front row.

That might be better for Byrne coming in.

On your point LRIP, I would imagine it's Byrne's carrying/footwork impact off the bench that swings it for him. But I agree I see Dooley as a far better scrummager and not far behind on the carrying piece.
I see what you're saying but I think Dooley offers that too, maybe that is what the coaches think though alright.

Dooley will be 27 by the start of next season, I think this was the time for him to kick on and even get in the Ireland squad but not sure it'll happen at this stage. I do think his game has kicked on (or at least he's been fit enough to show how good he is) but if he isn't being picked for games like this at this stage then I'm not sure it'll ever happen.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: April 9th, 2021, 3:31 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: April 9th, 2021, 3:30 pm

often for good reason.
It’s often the shinyness
:lol:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 9th, 2021, 3:48 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: April 9th, 2021, 3:44 pm

Larmour is hardly un-dropable.
Nope he isn't but again before he got injured he was a first choice selection for Ireland and was in conversations regarding the Lions. Dave has been outstanding but he's been doing that at a much lower level. Honestly, it's hard to know what the standard is for selection and how close players are getting to the standard given we haven't been playing good teams and Ireland selection has frankly damaged our plays with Mike Catt's game plan.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Flash Gordon wrote: April 9th, 2021, 3:58 pm

Nope he isn't but again before he got injured he was a first choice selection for Ireland and was in conversations regarding the Lions.
Agreed, I think a lot of people have forgotten that. Really unfortunate timing with that one.

That said he does make me nervous in the air, he can be really poor or really impressive and I'm never sure what way it's going to go. Famous last words but I don't think Exeter can target him as ruthlessly as Saracens at their best so I'm hopeful he'll be fine.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Leinster Lout wrote: April 9th, 2021, 12:16 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: April 9th, 2021, 12:05 pm Looks like another weekend off as Prince Phillip has died
Would they actually?!

Wouldnt have thought West Country folk would be so minded (unless they dont get a say?)
yeah, but theres no conspiracy theories about this one............................or is there ????????????????? :x :x
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

and O'Flaherty has a somewhat similar reputation for Exeter.....we'll just have to go all 'Kevin Keegan' on this one , and just score one more than our opposition...
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

alanair wrote: April 9th, 2021, 4:21 pm we'll just have to go all 'Kevin Keegan' on this one , and just score one more than our opposition...
I would love it...
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

alanair wrote: April 9th, 2021, 4:21 pm

and O'Flaherty has a somewhat similar reputation for Exeter.....we'll just have to go all 'Kevin Keegan' on this one , and just score one more than our opposition...
Was thinking the same, its going to be very hard to keep them out.
Dont Panic!