is the Rainbow Cup still going ahead?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Re: is the Rainbow Cup still going ahead?

Post by Xanthippe »

So we’ve gone from two pools of 8 playing was each other once (so 1 derby, 2 v Welsh teams, 2 v SA teams, 1 v Scottish team and 1 v Italian team) to a single table where we play all 3 Irish team and 3 other games against as yet unknown opposition!

I know this is all being determined by need but it needs to be renamed the Capricious Cup!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

Flash Gordon wrote: March 24th, 2021, 4:10 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 24th, 2021, 4:03 pm
Theleinsterlad wrote: March 24th, 2021, 3:12 pm I’m surprised at the number of negative texts on here about this competition. Baring the semi and final stages as well as interpros, when have Leinster had a chance to really test themselves in the Pro14 other than in Europe. This is the first time as a club team we get to compete with the some powerhouses from the Southern Hemisphere and I can’t wait to see how we get on. This is extra special in that most of those players we play will then represent SA against the lions. I’m sure this will also give some of the Celts an opportunity to further impress Gatland before the tour (not sure when squad is named). I can’t wait, very excited to see how we do against them
It's because it ruined the Pro14 season and put the final at an awkward time before Europe and after the last week of the 6N, created more chaos and uncertainty at a time when everything was already affected by Covid and couldn't be planned properly anyway (how can you be excited when there's not even a fixture list?), and adds an unnecessarily complex tournament to organise that involves a big logistical effort during a pandemic.

For the sake of what? Getting excited about a future league with new teams when we can't even have fans (and probably have weakened teams) at the games? I've only just thought of this so maybe there is a plan for the future but is it meant to just be a once off this year? If so then it's even more pointless than I thought.

I honestly can't think of one redeeming feature. Negatively impacting established tournaments for the sake of a makey up one is just nonsense IMO.
The Pro 14 is not making us enough to survive without crowds. When Leinster don't survive the game of rugby doesn't survive. People saying that it doesn't matter, that it's meaningless and that we we shouldn't play it need to understand how vital any revenue stream is in the current environment.

Aside from that after 2 years of a competition in which we've only lost 1 game I'm looking forward to the competitive element.
2 games so far..
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

The Doc wrote: March 26th, 2021, 10:08 am vs Munster (RDS) weekend of 24th April
vs Connacht (Sportsground) w/e of 8th May
vs Ulster (RDS) w/e of 15th May

These "derbies" are starting to get too common

They really are, they used to be nice back when we weren't doing so well in terms of silverware for the auld local bragging rights. Now it's just like those radiant quests in RPGs "Oh FFS, not this again"
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

So how do europe and the rainbow cup match up:

3rd April: Euro R16
10th April: Euro QF
17th April: Rest week
24th April: RC 1
1st May: Euro SF
8th May: RC 2
15th May: RC 3
22nd May: Euro F
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 26th, 2021, 10:16 am Is it just me or does this have a ......."Here lads, youse just play amongst yourselves there for a few months, while we get this sorted out!" ......sort of feel about it! :D
It follows the Lions announcement as well, they obviously felt they had to announce SOMETHING. But I would assume that these fixtures were pencilled in once the rejig to the Pro14 was decided upon anyway so that they always had the cushion of local derbies. I know it's a bit different with Scotland and Italy because they've fewer teams but it's easy enough for the irish and Welsh teams to play together...rainbow cup my arse.

I didn't realise that the date has been pushed out by a week as well, why's that? Surely the TV companies had it pencilled in and it causes trouble for them now?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

eirsport hardly have a pressing schedule to maneuver
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

We didn't play Munster at home or Connacht away this season so It's only round 3 that's superfluous. Apart from the fact that it's AFTER the final....

But sure we are only having to travel as far as our sitting rooms so what harm. It's rugby to watch.

And rounds 4 5 and 6 willbe v the saffers no doubt.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 26th, 2021, 11:08 am eirsport hardly have a pressing schedule to maneuver
Eirpsort are the broadcasters for South Africa are they?

It causes a problem if they paid for more games than they're going to get anyway and then there's potential issues with advertising, contractors who lost out because they agreed to be there etc etc.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

Starting with derbies has been flagged in the media (south African) for some time now. It avoid us travelling there or them travelling here for as long as possible in the hope of minimising covid risk and vaccine boost as much as possible. Which seems reasonable to me. (cancelling altogether possibly even more reasonable)

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Auld Boy
Beginner

Post by Auld Boy »

Seems it’s a very cobbled together schedule after confirmation of the Lions tour being confirmed.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

johng wrote: March 26th, 2021, 11:33 am We didn't play Munster at home or Connacht away this season so It's only round 3 that's superfluous. Apart from the fact that it's AFTER the final....

But sure we are only having to travel as far as our sitting rooms so what harm. It's rugby to watch.

And rounds 4 5 and 6 willbe v the saffers no doubt.
Aren't you quite the ray of sunshine - Mister Brightside

:lol:
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

This will be the 5th time we’ve played Munster in 10 months. Not happy with that opening schedule at all. More boring interpros.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

I assume rounds 4-6 will be one game against a SA, one against a Welsh and one against an Italian/scottish?

harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

heno wrote: March 26th, 2021, 12:38 pm I assume rounds 4-6 will be one game against a SA, one against a Welsh and one against an Italian/scottish?

Yes, it's the 'derby cup', boring as f%~k? plus two boring fixtures against two boring Pro12 teams, plus one fixture against a South African team.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 25th, 2021, 5:20 pm
Lock9541 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 5:04 pm Can’t wait for the Rainbow Cup. Great way for the young lads to get game time and have a challenge. Great the way we’re playing South African teams as it will give us more competition.
We won't be playing the young lads save for injury or catastrophic loss of form - the internationals are back and available

Although it's organisation is shambolic, this is our main domestic competition now and a key part of our European preparation and the preparations for the Lions.
To be fair if we're still in Europe (50/50 chance at this stage) it's likely the first choice lads will be rested for that, just like they are in Pro14 seasons normally when we're in European semis and onwards.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

heno wrote: March 26th, 2021, 12:38 pm I assume rounds 4-6 will be one game against a SA, one against a Welsh and one against an Italian/scottish?

It'll probably be another round of interpros. :roll:
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Imagine if the final doesn't have a team from SA, or if it has two teams from SA :lol:
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Apologies if it's already been mentioned but we will be trialing some new Rules. 20 minutes red card for a start

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2021/032 ... ard-trial/
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

South Africa’s four franchises participating in the PRO14 Rainbow Cup are all set to be based in a bio bubble in Bristol

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/sa-teams-b ... xperience/
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

South African teams will not be travelling to Europe according to reports - more details will apparently follow
I have Bumbleflex