is the Rainbow Cup still going ahead?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

is the Rainbow Cup still going ahead?

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

googled far and wide to get a fixture list.
Due to start 17th April with final June19th...but no fixture list or news

anyone know the craic? seems easier to find hens teeth.

by "derbies" in April..does that mean we will meet ulster, munster and connacht again?
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: is the Rainbow Cup still going ahead?

Post by neill_m »

No fixtures yet. 2 x conferences of 8 teams. 2 x Irish, 2 x Welsh, 2 x South African, 1 x Scottish and 1 x Italian team/teams in each conference. No details of the conferences yet. 7 games for each side with a weekend of derbies on week 1 so Leinster v Ulster/Munster/Connacht.
Last edited by neill_m on March 23rd, 2021, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auld Boy
Beginner

Post by Auld Boy »

Any updates on the Rainbow cup?
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

I assume they are waiting on the formal announcement of the lions tour. The SA teams coming here is tied to that.
But what I've seen muted is the SA teams staying in SA for a few weeks playing derbies and then coming north for 8 to 10 weeks covering the end of the competition and the lions tour. They won't be going home in between so they don't want to come here for 3 months.
Exactly what format that will result in, I don't know. That might also be the reason for lack of info. Expect something like a dogs dinner anyway.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Well it appears that the Lions tour is going ahead in SA without fans so how the rainbow cup could still go ahead up here so soon is just beyond me.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 1:07 pm Well it appears that the Lions tour is going ahead in SA without fans so how the rainbow cup could still go ahead up here so soon is just beyond me.
Doesn’t seem like this competition was well planned.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

At no point did this ever not feel stupid.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

it's a ridiculous competition and should be treated as such.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 2:50 pm it's a ridiculous competition and should be treated as such.
With professional rugby teetering on the edge of insolvency in Ireland and by extension amateur rugby, I wouldn't be quite so dismissive.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ah the Rainbow Cup - the universe is getting it's own back. For so long the Rainbow Cup was vapourware - used by SARU to threaten the other Southern Hemisphere unions, and to gull the credulous in the North. Then, when it finally is born in reality, the universe says - nope, you've been misusing me for too long with this rainbow cup, I am going to piss on your chips.
I have Bumbleflex
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

It’s a good opportunity for the young lads to get game time at a high level tbf.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Call me delusional, but I'm massively looking forward to it!!!
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

riocard911 wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 4:41 pm Call me delusional, but I'm massively looking forward to it!!!
Same
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 2:50 pm it's a ridiculous competition and should be treated as such.
How?
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Well it appears that the Lions tour is going ahead in SA without fans so how the rainbow cup could still go ahead up here so soon is just beyond me.
Well that means it's back to the original ish plan which is the SA teams can come here for the rainbow Cup. And then head back to SA to prepare for the tour. So the original game schedule is back in play.

However, I still expect a dogs dinner to be unveiled.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

so any more info on this? really does seem to be made up on the hoof
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

I’m surprised at the number of negative texts on here about this competition. Baring the semi and final stages as well as interpros, when have Leinster had a chance to really test themselves in the Pro14 other than in Europe. This is the first time as a club team we get to compete with the some powerhouses from the Southern Hemisphere and I can’t wait to see how we get on. This is extra special in that most of those players we play will then represent SA against the lions. I’m sure this will also give some of the Celts an opportunity to further impress Gatland before the tour (not sure when squad is named). I can’t wait, very excited to see how we do against them
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Theleinsterlad wrote: March 24th, 2021, 3:12 pm I’m surprised at the number of negative texts on here about this competition. Baring the semi and final stages as well as interpros, when have Leinster had a chance to really test themselves in the Pro14 other than in Europe. This is the first time as a club team we get to compete with the some powerhouses from the Southern Hemisphere and I can’t wait to see how we get on. This is extra special in that most of those players we play will then represent SA against the lions. I’m sure this will also give some of the Celts an opportunity to further impress Gatland before the tour (not sure when squad is named). I can’t wait, very excited to see how we do against them
It's because it ruined the Pro14 season and put the final at an awkward time before Europe and after the last week of the 6N, created more chaos and uncertainty at a time when everything was already affected by Covid and couldn't be planned properly anyway (how can you be excited when there's not even a fixture list?), and adds an unnecessarily complex tournament to organise that involves a big logistical effort during a pandemic.

For the sake of what? Getting excited about a future league with new teams when we can't even have fans (and probably have weakened teams) at the games? I've only just thought of this so maybe there is a plan for the future but is it meant to just be a once off this year? If so then it's even more pointless than I thought.

I honestly can't think of one redeeming feature. Negatively impacting established tournaments for the sake of a makey up one is just nonsense IMO.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 24th, 2021, 4:03 pm
Theleinsterlad wrote: March 24th, 2021, 3:12 pm I’m surprised at the number of negative texts on here about this competition. Baring the semi and final stages as well as interpros, when have Leinster had a chance to really test themselves in the Pro14 other than in Europe. This is the first time as a club team we get to compete with the some powerhouses from the Southern Hemisphere and I can’t wait to see how we get on. This is extra special in that most of those players we play will then represent SA against the lions. I’m sure this will also give some of the Celts an opportunity to further impress Gatland before the tour (not sure when squad is named). I can’t wait, very excited to see how we do against them
It's because it ruined the Pro14 season and put the final at an awkward time before Europe and after the last week of the 6N, created more chaos and uncertainty at a time when everything was already affected by Covid and couldn't be planned properly anyway (how can you be excited when there's not even a fixture list?), and adds an unnecessarily complex tournament to organise that involves a big logistical effort during a pandemic.

For the sake of what? Getting excited about a future league with new teams when we can't even have fans (and probably have weakened teams) at the games? I've only just thought of this so maybe there is a plan for the future but is it meant to just be a once off this year? If so then it's even more pointless than I thought.

I honestly can't think of one redeeming feature. Negatively impacting established tournaments for the sake of a makey up one is just nonsense IMO.
The Pro 14 is not making us enough to survive without crowds. When Leinster don't survive the game of rugby doesn't survive. People saying that it doesn't matter, that it's meaningless and that we we shouldn't play it need to understand how vital any revenue stream is in the current environment.

Aside from that after 2 years of a competition in which we've only lost 1 game I'm looking forward to the competitive element.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Covid messed up a lot of things. The Pro14 was a pro12 anyway and the HC group stages were cut short. We had cancelled games in all competitions.

Half the Pro14 teams limped over the line at the end of the season having checked out mentally.

Even the damage to the Pro14 is minimal. Both teams in the final were there with weeks to spare. The semis rarely ever sell out. We actually had a more exciting run in by cutting the season.

The Rainbow Cup will have some dull interpros at the start then a good chance at strong squads from both ends for teams with skin in the Lions game. Unions really need this to be a success. This could end up being brilliant.