is the Rainbow Cup still going ahead?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: is the Rainbow Cup still going ahead?

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Flash Gordon wrote: March 24th, 2021, 4:10 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 24th, 2021, 4:03 pm
Theleinsterlad wrote: March 24th, 2021, 3:12 pm I’m surprised at the number of negative texts on here about this competition. Baring the semi and final stages as well as interpros, when have Leinster had a chance to really test themselves in the Pro14 other than in Europe. This is the first time as a club team we get to compete with the some powerhouses from the Southern Hemisphere and I can’t wait to see how we get on. This is extra special in that most of those players we play will then represent SA against the lions. I’m sure this will also give some of the Celts an opportunity to further impress Gatland before the tour (not sure when squad is named). I can’t wait, very excited to see how we do against them
It's because it ruined the Pro14 season and put the final at an awkward time before Europe and after the last week of the 6N, created more chaos and uncertainty at a time when everything was already affected by Covid and couldn't be planned properly anyway (how can you be excited when there's not even a fixture list?), and adds an unnecessarily complex tournament to organise that involves a big logistical effort during a pandemic.

For the sake of what? Getting excited about a future league with new teams when we can't even have fans (and probably have weakened teams) at the games? I've only just thought of this so maybe there is a plan for the future but is it meant to just be a once off this year? If so then it's even more pointless than I thought.

I honestly can't think of one redeeming feature. Negatively impacting established tournaments for the sake of a makey up one is just nonsense IMO.
The Pro 14 is not making us enough to survive without crowds. When Leinster don't survive the game of rugby doesn't survive. People saying that it doesn't matter, that it's meaningless and that we we shouldn't play it need to understand how vital any revenue stream is in the current environment.

Aside from that after 2 years of a competition in which we've only lost 1 game I'm looking forward to the competitive element.
I do understand that money is important thanks, but you only have to look at the lack of fixtures to see how ridiculous this whole concept is. They couldn't plan it properly because of the pandemic and that was always going to be the case.

If Leinster and Munster lose their QFs because of this condensed fixture list then how much will the IRFU lose because of that? How much will travel and accommodation cost for the Rainbow Cup? SA is on the list of countries that needs to quarantine so what would that cost, at least half a million for that with flights to/from SA on top, plus all transport and hotel costs while they're here. What are the chances of no games being cancelled? How much scope is there to rearrange ones that are?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote: March 24th, 2021, 4:46 pm Covid messed up a lot of things. The Pro14 was a pro12 anyway and the HC group stages were cut short. We had cancelled games in all competitions.

Half the Pro14 teams limped over the line at the end of the season having checked out mentally.

Even the damage to the Pro14 is minimal. Both teams in the final were there with weeks to spare. The semis rarely ever sell out. We actually had a more exciting run in by cutting the season.

The Rainbow Cup will have some dull interpros at the start then a good chance at strong squads from both ends for teams with skin in the Lions game. Unions really need this to be a success. This could end up being brilliant.
It's apples and oranges to say that covid messed up things that already existed and compare it to a new competition that wasn't planned for at the start of the season. There was always going to be disruption but I cannot for the life of me understand why they would add to that instead of minimising it.

I think people forget the situation that we're currently in. The 6N won't actually finish until Friday because of a rearranged game and there's still the possibility that the final on Saturday could be called off if they return positive tests this week, and those positive tests may not even be accurate. That's how fragile the existing competitions are already.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Existing competition offers no competition for the Irish sides. The SA teams are a welcome addition that will benefit Irish rugby.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

The reason this tournament exists is the south Africans had paid to be in the pro whatever this year, and they needed some warm up games before the lions tour other than endless derbies between themselves. They actually want exposure to NH style etc.
So celtic rugby decided to accommodate them despite the disruption that it would cause. Which I've no problem with at all. On balance I'm for the pro 16 and this is a good way to be welcoming and accommodating to our new partners.
I think as rugby fans we are all aware of the fleeting nature of pro sport during covid and are willing to absorb a lot of uncertainty and changes that goes with the territory.
But the way we are being kept in the dark right up to the 11th hour in terms of what is happening, what options are being looked at, what is decided and what is still being looked at, I think is deserving of criticism.
As much as I'm not a huge fan of the lions, at least they have publicly nailed their colours to the mast a few months out that they are going for a SA tour.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Jackman saying they are trying to trial some new rules during the rainbow cup. Joke gets even bigger. :lol:
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I'll guess they'll be the same ones that are being trialed in New Zealand and Australia at the moment?

50:22 kick, 22 drop outs now from the goal-line, captain gets to request one TMO intervention?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Can’t wait for the Rainbow Cup. Great way for the young lads to get game time and have a challenge. Great the way we’re playing South African teams as it will give us more competition.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Lock9541 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 5:04 pm Can’t wait for the Rainbow Cup. Great way for the young lads to get game time and have a challenge. Great the way we’re playing South African teams as it will give us more competition.
We won't be playing the young lads save for injury or catastrophic loss of form - the internationals are back and available

Although it's organisation is shambolic, this is our main domestic competition now and a key part of our European preparation and the preparations for the Lions.
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 25th, 2021, 5:20 pm
Lock9541 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 5:04 pm Can’t wait for the Rainbow Cup. Great way for the young lads to get game time and have a challenge. Great the way we’re playing South African teams as it will give us more competition.
We won't be playing the young lads save for injury or catastrophic loss of form - the internationals are back and available

Although it's organisation is shambolic, this is our main domestic competition now and a key part of our European preparation and the preparations for the Lions.
Also an even money chance we'll be out of Europe by the time this competition starts.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

In fairness, I think a lot of the disarray surrounding this competition is a direct knock on from the delays in making a decision on the Lion’s tour. You would expect they have made plans based on each possible scenario.

The decision is made now, we have three weeks to the start of this competition. They should now be confirming the logistics of the plan with the involved parties and an announcement of groups, fixtures and venues is imminent.

I’ll reserve judgement somewhat and assume we’ll hear something next week. If we’ve heard nothing by the end of next week then you’d have to feel like they’re winging it and have no idea what they’re at.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Serb wrote: March 25th, 2021, 6:08 pm In fairness, I think a lot of the disarray surrounding this competition is a direct knock on from the delays in making a decision on the Lion’s tour. You would expect they have made plans based on each possible scenario.

The decision is made now, we have three weeks to the start of this competition. They should now be confirming the logistics of the plan with the involved parties and an announcement of groups, fixtures and venues is imminent.

I’ll reserve judgement somewhat and assume we’ll hear something next week. If we’ve heard nothing by the end of next week then you’d have to feel like they’re winging it and have no idea what they’re at.
yep.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Serb wrote: March 25th, 2021, 6:08 pm In fairness, I think a lot of the disarray surrounding this competition is a direct knock on from the delays in making a decision on the Lion’s tour. You would expect they have made plans based on each possible scenario.

...which was always going to be the case and they didn't need to add to the uncertainty.

It reminds me of loads of weddings that friends of mine have either postponed or went ahead in small numbers etc. They were forced into dealing with the situation and okay it wasn't perfect or there's uncertainty around rearranged dates but sure what can you do? But if someone decided to start planning one in December and had an April date in mind then I'd think they were cracked and completely oblivious to the pandemic that was going on. If they then said it was a destination wedding and the guests didn't have any details three weeks from the big day then I would think they were too thick to even get married.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

That’s fair, except we’re not the guests in that analogy, we’re the folks hopping on the live stream or the Zoom call.

We don’t know what’s gone on behind the scenes. All the teams may already have total clarity on what’s happening, it just hasn’t been made public.

Let’s wait and see.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

RAINBOW CUP FIXTURES

ROUND 1

April 24, 2021

Ulster v Connacht
Leinster v Munster
Benetton v Glasgow Warriors
Edinburgh v Zebre Rugby Club
Ospreys v Cardiff Blues
Dragons v Scarlets
Vodacom Bulls v Emirates Lions
DHL Stormers v Cell C Sharks

ROUND 2

May 8, 2021

Connacht v Leinster
Munster v Ulster
Zebre v Benetton
Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh
Cardiff Blues v Dragons
Scarlets v Ospreys

May 1, 2021 (EPCR Semi-Final Weekend)

DHL Stormers v Vodacom Bulls
Cell C Sharks v Emirates Lions

ROUND 3

May 8, 2021

Vodacom Bulls v Cell C Sharks
Emirates Lions v DHL Stormers

May 15, 2021

Munster v Connacht
Leinster v Ulster
Benetton v Zebre
Edinburgh v Glasgow Warriors
Scarlets v Cardiff Blues
Dragons v Ospreys

Round 4: Weekend of May 29.
Round 5: Weekend of June 5.
Round 6: Weekend of June 12.
Final: Weekend of June 19.
https://supersport.com/rugby/news/21032 ... _confirmed
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

vs Munster (RDS) weekend of 24th April
vs Connacht (Sportsground) w/e of 8th May
vs Ulster (RDS) w/e of 15th May

These "derbies" are starting to get too common
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

The Doc wrote: March 26th, 2021, 10:08 am vs Munster (RDS) weekend of 24th April
vs Connacht (Sportsground) w/e of 8th May
vs Ulster (RDS) w/e of 15th May

These "derbies" are starting to get too common
they should be thankful there'll be no fans, be happy enough to lose to Munster in a month if we beat them tomorrow.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

So no kick off times/tv details for the first three rounds, no fixtures for rounds 4-6, and this brave new world begins with interpros...bullshit.

Interesting to see how the SA teams are spread over rounds 4-6 if they do go ahead. It’s not like we should only be playing them, there’s the other countries to think of as well.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Is it just me or does this have a ......."Here lads, youse just play amongst yourselves there for a few months, while we get this sorted out!" ......sort of feel about it! :D
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 26th, 2021, 10:16 am Is it just me or does this have a ......."Here lads, youse just play amongst yourselves there for a few months, while we get this sorted out!" ......sort of feel about it! :D
Of course it is. BS competition.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 26th, 2021, 10:16 am Is it just me or does this have a ......."Here lads, youse just play amongst yourselves there for a few months, while we get this sorted out!" ......sort of feel about it! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Let me turn on the cartoon network - now you stay there while I go for a little snooze. Behave yourself now"
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you