Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Post Reply
Jonny tight lips
Graduate
Posts: 593
Joined: February 27th, 2017, 12:48 pm

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by Jonny tight lips »

curates_egg wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 4:25 pm
blockhead wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 4:04 pm
curates_egg wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 3:56 pm


Possibly.
But if the EPCR told them they were ok to travel. And all players subsequently tested negative. And the EPCR statement then talks about a decision being made with the input of the Irish health authorities today... It is also not a big not to jump to that conclusion.

Regardless of how the decision was taken that the match could not go ahead in Dublin today, if the match is simply forfeited, I would also definitely not think it is a big leap to imagine Toulon will look to challenge the decision legally.

Apart from all that, I would like this match to go ahead, for various reasons. Hopefully, some solution can be found.
The solution is that the Match Result Resolution Committee will meet to decide that Leinster have won and will procede to the QFs.
Seems most likely.
But also likely to lead to a legal challenge, and an asterisk against the result of the tournament.
Why would there be an asterisk as a result of this fixture being canceled. More than 50% of the games have already being canceled and many teams eliminated as a result so this is nothing new. What absolute tripe

User avatar
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4311
Joined: October 2nd, 2007, 1:20 pm
Location: D24

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by Logorrhea »

There is going to be a massive asterix against the result of this tournament regardless of who wins it

User avatar
curates_egg
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2665
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 3:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by curates_egg »

Logorrhea wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 5:29 pm
There is going to be a massive asterix against the result of this tournament regardless of who wins it
That's certainly true.

However, so far, no team that has been excluded/knocked out has contested it.

Blueberry
Graduate
Posts: 711
Joined: April 4th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by Blueberry »

Logorrhea wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 5:29 pm
There is going to be a massive asterix against the result of this tournament regardless of who wins it
Agree entirely - doesn't mean we don't follow it, love it or go mental over it and of course we want to win it but anyone who takes this year too seriously is just in denial. Assuming Toulon do have to forfeit this we have a multiple former champion exiting because one of their players failed a PCR test for a virus, that's it.

If we have a Covid positive test next week we may have to forfeit our qtr final (meanwhile I'm touching all bits of wood here) and let's say Exeter in the semi final then have the same problem and tomorrow Toulouse have to forfeit against Munster......and Munster end up winning it....I certainly won't be taking it too seriously.....

Bottom line is the competition has become the best team in Europe at playing rugby while not catching covid cup...........

Better than nothing and it's great entertainment and breaks up the motony......but let's not take it too seriously this year.

Hopefully it will be back to normal in 2021-2022.

User avatar
bluemagic
Enlightened
Posts: 850
Joined: February 26th, 2011, 11:29 am

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by bluemagic »

Logorrhea wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 5:29 pm
There is going to be a massive asterix against the result of this tournament regardless of who wins it
As long as it’s us who gets the star on our jersey I don’t really care about asterix.
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****

User avatar
curates_egg
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2665
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 3:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 4:30 pm
There will be no legal challenge outside the tournament's judicial process
What does that mean in practice?
Can they contest a possible decision on them having to forfeit the game and get some kind of injunction-esque measure to postpone the quarter final?

I guess everything depends on whether the decision was fully in line with the agreed EPCR protocol.

I know for certain that a Top14 game would have gone ahead in similar circumstances.

User avatar
curates_egg
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2665
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 3:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by curates_egg »

"EPCR confirms that Leinster will progress to the Heineken Champions Cup quarter-finals on the weekend of 9/10/11 April.

They will face the winner of the clash between Exeter and Lyon."

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... 2392631297

Official statement https://www.epcrugby.com/2021/04/02/lei ... -decision/

Blueberry
Graduate
Posts: 711
Joined: April 4th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by Blueberry »

bluemagic wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:07 pm
Logorrhea wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 5:29 pm
There is going to be a massive asterix against the result of this tournament regardless of who wins it
As long as it’s us who gets the star on our jersey I don’t really care about asterix.
Five stars and an Asterix - will look good and we'll all have to get new shirts so Leinster will make some cash outta it.

On a serious note staying in this tournament has to have some serious financial benefits so let's just win it even if we don't have to play another game. All the lads round to James Tracy's house until this tournament is over and form a bubble, Deliveroo can keep the Nando's coming and a kick about in the back garden should keep em all match fit.

User avatar
Twist
Mullet
Posts: 1495
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 2:33 am

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by Twist »

Hooray, I suppose!

Blueberry
Graduate
Posts: 711
Joined: April 4th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by Blueberry »

Twist wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:27 pm
Hooray, I suppose!
Solid performance all round, onwards and upwards.........

User avatar
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner
Posts: 23035
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 3:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business
Contact:

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by Dave Cahill »

curates_egg wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:09 pm
Dave Cahill wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 4:30 pm
There will be no legal challenge outside the tournament's judicial process
What does that mean in practice?
Can they contest a possible decision on them having to forfeit the game and get some kind of injunction-esque measure to postpone the quarter final?

I guess everything depends on whether the decision was fully in line with the agreed EPCR protocol.

I know for certain that a Top14 game would have gone ahead in similar circumstances.
France had 50k+ new cases yesterday, their infection rate is nearly double that of ireland, using them as an example is like using Gary Glitter as an example of good childcare.

Teams in the EPCR competitions can only resort to the EPCR judicial process and the CAS as a court of last resort - so any club who attempts to go outside this is in breach of the participation agreement and subject to expulsion and suspension. The legality of this is well established in European Law through a number of cases (FC SIon vs CAS being one of the more high profile ones)
I have Bumbleflex

D4surfer
Graduate
Posts: 714
Joined: May 13th, 2009, 11:34 am

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by D4surfer »

Blueberry wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:30 pm
Twist wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:27 pm
Hooray, I suppose!
Solid performance all round, onwards and upwards.........
Will all the media be about Toulon next week, like it was about last Saturday's opponents this week.
Last edited by D4surfer on April 2nd, 2021, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FLIP
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2094
Joined: May 22nd, 2009, 1:00 am

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by FLIP »

Blueberry wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:30 pm
Twist wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:27 pm
Hooray, I suppose!
Solid performance all round, onwards and upwards.........
One for the purists, plenty of unseen work done out on the pitch
Anyone But New Zealand

User avatar
hugonaut
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5566
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by hugonaut »

Blueberry wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:05 pm
Logorrhea wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 5:29 pm
There is going to be a massive asterix against the result of this tournament regardless of who wins it
Agree entirely - doesn't mean we don't follow it, love it or go mental over it and of course we want to win it but anyone who takes this year too seriously is just in denial. Assuming Toulon do have to forfeit this we have a multiple former champion exiting because one of their players failed a PCR test for a virus, that's it.

If we have a Covid positive test next week we may have to forfeit our qtr final (meanwhile I'm touching all bits of wood here) and let's say Exeter in the semi final then have the same problem and tomorrow Toulouse have to forfeit against Munster......and Munster end up winning it....I certainly won't be taking it too seriously.....

Bottom line is the competition has become the best team in Europe at playing rugby while not catching covid cup...........

Better than nothing and it's great entertainment and breaks up the motony......but let's not take it too seriously this year.

Hopefully it will be back to normal in 2021-2022.
100%.

We're in it, so let's do our best to win the trophy. It's a weird, weird year though. We're into a quarterfinal [an way quarterfinal] having played two games and won both of them with something to spare.

User avatar
curates_egg
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2665
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 3:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:34 pm
curates_egg wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:09 pm
Dave Cahill wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 4:30 pm
There will be no legal challenge outside the tournament's judicial process
What does that mean in practice?
Can they contest a possible decision on them having to forfeit the game and get some kind of injunction-esque measure to postpone the quarter final?

I guess everything depends on whether the decision was fully in line with the agreed EPCR protocol.

I know for certain that a Top14 game would have gone ahead in similar circumstances.
France had 50k+ new cases yesterday, their infection rate is nearly double that of ireland, using them as an example is like using Gary Glitter as an example of good childcare.

Teams in the EPCR competitions can only resort to the EPCR judicial process and the CAS as a court of last resort - so any club who attempts to go outside this is in breach of the participation agreement and subject to expulsion and suspension. The legality of this is well established in European Law through a number of cases (FC SIon vs CAS being one of the more high profile ones)
Comparing countries' incidence rates at isolated points of time is silly (why not pick January?) and, anyway, way off topic.

I do not know the EPCR COVID-19 protocol. I do know the Top14 protocol (because they have been totally transparent with it). According to it, this game would have gone ahead. So, I can understand why Toulon - after being told to travel to Dublin for the game by the EPCR - are angry.

If this decision was 100% in line with the EPCR protocol, then Toulon clearly have no case. Although, you would question why there were told to travel to Dublin with the players that are close contacts.
If there is a lack of clarity about the grounds for the decision, then I doubt they will just accept it, so thanks for clarifying the legal process: I wasn't aware of it.
Last edited by curates_egg on April 2nd, 2021, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner
Posts: 23035
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 3:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business
Contact:

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by Dave Cahill »

curates_egg wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:43 pm

Comparing countries' incidence rates at isolated points of time is silly (why not pick January?) and, anyway, way off topic.
The game was due to be played today, not in January, and its not being played due to a positive covid test, so it couldn't be more on topic if it were riding it with stirrups.
I have Bumbleflex

User avatar
Twist
Mullet
Posts: 1495
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 2:33 am

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by Twist »

hugonaut wrote:
Blueberry wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:05 pm
Logorrhea wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 5:29 pm
There is going to be a massive asterix against the result of this tournament regardless of who wins it
Agree entirely - doesn't mean we don't follow it, love it or go mental over it and of course we want to win it but anyone who takes this year too seriously is just in denial. Assuming Toulon do have to forfeit this we have a multiple former champion exiting because one of their players failed a PCR test for a virus, that's it.

If we have a Covid positive test next week we may have to forfeit our qtr final (meanwhile I'm touching all bits of wood here) and let's say Exeter in the semi final then have the same problem and tomorrow Toulouse have to forfeit against Munster......and Munster end up winning it....I certainly won't be taking it too seriously.....

Bottom line is the competition has become the best team in Europe at playing rugby while not catching covid cup...........

Better than nothing and it's great entertainment and breaks up the motony......but let's not take it too seriously this year.

Hopefully it will be back to normal in 2021-2022.
100%.

We're in it, so let's do our best to win the trophy. It's a weird, weird year though. We're into a quarterfinal [an way quarterfinal] having played two games and won both of them with something to spare.
In a normal year we'd be disappointed to have an away QF, especially to a team as highly ranked as Exeter

User avatar
curates_egg
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2665
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 3:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:45 pm
curates_egg wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:43 pm

Comparing countries' incidence rates at isolated points of time is silly (why not pick January?) and, anyway, way off topic.
The game was due to be played today, not in January, and its not being played due to a positive covid. test, so it couldn't be more on topic if it were riding it with stirrups.
It has relevance only if the incidence rate in the different countries is one of the criterion in the EPCR protocol for deciding what happens in the case of a solitary positive test. If the protocol doesn't include such a criterion, then it is a total straw man, in legal terms.
It may, however, have relevance to the Irish health authorities' "input" on the decision.

User avatar
fourthirtythree
Rob Kearney
Posts: 9618
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by fourthirtythree »

Oh well, we're through, no new injuries, rest for Cian, Ross, and Johnny in particular and maybe one or two might come into contention from our enormous injury list.

The team have the opportunity to make a lot of people happy in a miserable time. My Friday night being ruined is nothing!
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan

User avatar
LeinsterLeader
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2041
Joined: May 23rd, 2010, 8:51 pm

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by LeinsterLeader »

curates_egg wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:48 pm
Dave Cahill wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:45 pm
curates_egg wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 6:43 pm

Comparing countries' incidence rates at isolated points of time is silly (why not pick January?) and, anyway, way off topic.
The game was due to be played today, not in January, and its not being played due to a positive covid. test, so it couldn't be more on topic if it were riding it with stirrups.
It has relevance only if the incidence rate in the different countries is one of the criterion in the EPCR protocol for deciding what happens in the case of a solitary positive test. If the protocol doesn't include such a criterion, then it is a total straw man, in legal terms.
It may, however, have relevance to the Irish health authorities' "input" on the decision.
According to ROC on twitter, EPCR did (or could not) authorise RCT to travel:

Clarification from EPCR regarding the Toulon president's comments earlier: "EPCR does not authorise travel for participants in its tournaments and therefore, was not in a position to either authorise RC Toulon to travel to Ireland or to prevent them from doing so. (1/2)
Rúaidhrí O'Connor
@RuaidhriOC
·
1h
"All clubs in EPCR’s tournaments are responsible for complying with the terms of the agreed Covid-19 tournament protocol &quarantine exemptions, including the requirement to conduct thorough contact tracing in the event of a positive test result for C-19." (2/2)

Post Reply