A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Leinster Vs Toulon 2021, Friday the 2nd of April, 5.30pm

Post by Oldschool »

Keith wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 3:24 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 2:58 pm
Keith wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 12:55 pm Pretty devastated tbh. The amount of rugby games being called off compared to football matches is puzzling to me.
Ever been in the front-row at a scrumming session? Normally 5 x 4 sets of the closest contact with the hardest of breathing / panting and lots of aerosol type exchanges. Other than being outdoors, it is probably the most acute "close contact" encounter. Absolutely no parallel with football.
That has absolutely no barring on whether to call matches off whatsoever.
And the most worrying bit for a SR is that it still hasn't been established yet that aerosol, commonly known as a fart, isn't infectious, which given that COVID has been detected in sewage samples should, as NPHET would put it, be a cause for concern.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

There's been numerous instances in European football of a couple of players in a team testing positive, being isolated, the rest of the team then re-testing as negative, and the match going ahead.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

neiliog93 wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 3:34 pm There's been numerous instances in European football of a couple of players in a team testing positive, being isolated, the rest of the team then re-testing as negative, and the match going ahead.
That is precisely the protocol for the Top14 too.
If there are only 1/2 positive tests and all other players test negative ahead of the game, it goes ahead.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

neiliog93 wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 3:34 pm There's been numerous instances in European football of a couple of players in a team testing positive, being isolated, the rest of the team then re-testing as negative, and the match going ahead.
Ah cheers. But not in the 26 counties, right?
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

I'm not saying no matches have been called off or rescheduled but they have been fairly rare when you consider there are way, way more pro football games being played across the globe with a lot more travelling. Anyway it doesn't really matter now and I could be way off there.
Last edited by Keith on April 2nd, 2021, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

There have been at least five Premier League matches cancelled this season so far
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

So, are any of the currently injured players likely to be in contention for next week?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

cormac wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 3:41 pm So, are any of the currently injured players likely to be in contention for next week?
Doris or Ryan coming back would be a huge boost.

Likewise Ringrose.
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 3:41 pm
There have been at least five Premier League matches cancelled this season so far
Is that all? They've been lucky so.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Keith wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 12:55 pm Pretty devastated tbh. The amount of rugby games being called off compared to football matches is puzzling to me.
Ever been in the front-row at a scrumming session? Normally 5 x 4 sets of the closest contact with the hardest of breathing / panting and lots of aerosol type exchanges. Other than being outdoors, it is probably the most acute "close contact" encounter. Absolutely no parallel with football.
Why the mention of the "six front line players" in the RCT press release then?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 3:14 pm
wixfjord wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 2:40 pm
curates_egg wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 2:39 pm Comparing both those statements, this will end up in court if not rescheduled.
Reading through the lines, it seems like EPCR said go ahead and travel, and the Irish health authorities pulled the plug.
Where exactly are you getting that from?
Reading through the lines of the Toulon statement and the EPCR statement, in particular, which someone has posted above.

I’m guessing that the match would have gone ahead if it were between two French sides. Certainly, it would have in the Top14, if all players tested negative.*

We’ll find out soon enough.

* If there are 1/2 cases, and they are isolated, and the other players subsequently test negative ahead of the match, it goes ahead. Only after three cases, does a more thorough review come into place.
So confirmation bias to blame Irish health authorities then?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 3:52 pm
curates_egg wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 3:14 pm
wixfjord wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 2:40 pm

Where exactly are you getting that from?
Reading through the lines of the Toulon statement and the EPCR statement, in particular, which someone has posted above.

I’m guessing that the match would have gone ahead if it were between two French sides. Certainly, it would have in the Top14, if all players tested negative.*

* If there are 1/2 cases, and they are isolated, and the other players subsequently test negative ahead of the match, it goes ahead. Only after three cases, does a more thorough review come into place.
Possibly.
But if the EPCR told them they were ok to travel. And all players subsequently tested negative. And the EPCR statement then talks about a decision being made with the input of the Irish health authorities today... It is also not a big not to jump to that conclusion.

Regardless of how the decision was taken that the match could not go ahead in Dublin today, if the match is simply forfeited, I would also definitely not think it is a big leap to imagine Toulon will look to challenge the decision legally.

Apart from all that, I would like this match to go ahead, for various reasons. Hopefully, some solution can be found.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

fourthirtythree wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 3:47 pm

Why the mention of the "six front line players" in the RCT press release then?
Presumably, because the positive test was of a front row player (it says this in the statement) and all six front row players in the squad were deemed as close contacts.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

curates_egg wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 3:56 pm
curates_egg wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 3:14 pm Reading through the lines of the Toulon statement and the EPCR statement, in particular, which someone has posted above.

Possibly.
But if the EPCR told them they were ok to travel. And all players subsequently tested negative. And the EPCR statement then talks about a decision being made with the input of the Irish health authorities today... It is also not a big not to jump to that conclusion.

Regardless of how the decision was taken that the match could not go ahead in Dublin today, if the match is simply forfeited, I would also definitely not think it is a big leap to imagine Toulon will look to challenge the decision legally.

Apart from all that, I would like this match to go ahead, for various reasons. Hopefully, some solution can be found.
The solution is that the Match Result Resolution Committee will meet to decide that Leinster have won and will procede to the QFs.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
It's the EPCR who called it off. Not the Irish authorities.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

ROC (bitchy tweet aside) is reporting that Toulon were offered a re-scheduled game on Sunday if they could replace all their front rowers but they couldn't do that.

The more I think about it the more I'd rather our lads get rest rather than more game time
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

blockhead wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:04 pm
curates_egg wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 3:56 pm

Possibly.

The solution is that the Match Result Resolution Committee will meet to decide that Leinster have won and will procede to the QFs.
Seems most likely.
But also likely to lead to a legal challenge, and an asterisk against the result of the tournament.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

There will be no legal challenge outside the tournament's judicial process
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

The Doc wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:14 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
It's the EPCR who called it off. Not the Irish authorities.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yeah I got that, but I’m assuming it was at least partially based on local medical advice
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Irish authorities have had a fair involvement so far this weekend - elstadt deemed not able to play for Toulouse and now our game cancelled