Pro 14 Final vs Munster, March 27th. 5pm. @ The RDS.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Pro 14 Final vs Munster, March 27th.

Post by riocard911 »

Credit, where credit is due. CJ is a class act; that's a fabulous press statement:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rug ... 45200.html

The announcement of his impending retirement will give Munster added motivation to finish their Pro14 campaign with a victory against the Auld Enemy.....
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Confirmed: Sat 27th 5PM RDS :D
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

riocard911 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:29 am Credit, where credit is due. CJ is a class act; that's a fabulous press statement:

The announcement of his impending retirement will give Munster added motivation to finish their Pro14 campaign with a victory against the Auld Enemy.....
I am sure if they win it will be renamed the CJ Stander Memorial Trophy :roll:

The emotional reverence accorded to Stander (long before today's announcement) and the likes of POM, Earls and lately even Johnny, is OTT
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

backrower8 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 7:19 pm
riocard911 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:29 am Credit, where credit is due. CJ is a class act; that's a fabulous press statement:

I am sure if they win it will be renamed the CJ Stander Memorial Trophy :roll:

The emotional reverence accorded to Stander (long before today's announcement) and the likes of POM, Earls and lately even Johnny, is OTT
When you don't have silverware you need emotional reverence.
CJ is worth his weight in gold though.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

ronk wrote: March 15th, 2021, 8:39 pm We have 6 of the top 10 for carries. Other countries have at most 1. I think that shows how different a game we are playing.
Dumb? Unable to convert it into attacking opportunities?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Pro 14 Final vs Munster, March 27th. 5pm. @ The RDS.

Post by mildlyinterested »

Furlong, JVDF, Conan, Sexton, Henshaw and Keenan all start for Ireland.

Healy, Porter, Kelleher, Baird, JGP and Larmour on bench.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 18th, 2021, 3:25 pm Furlong, JVDF, Conan, Sexton, Henshaw and Keenan all start for Ireland.

Healy, Porter, Kelleher, Baird, JGP and Larmour on bench.
A Fair chance we'll have E.Byrne, Ross Byrne, RR for the final. Possibly Jlo and Will C? Outside chance of get the guys off the bench?

Delighted for JVDF but didn't see it coming. Though Connors was a cert

Edit: just hearing Will C has a knee injury
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Connors is injured according to the journos. Knee injury in training.

I'd assume we won't see any of the starters and or Ciano or JGP for the final, and maybe not Porter, but the other three should be fresh enough to start along with Lowe possibly.

Looks like Munster will be without Kilcoyne, Beirne, Stander, Earls, Murray then too. You'd imagine POM will play.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

wixfjord wrote: March 18th, 2021, 3:39 pm Connors is injured according to the journos. Knee injury in training.

I'd assume we won't see any of the starters and or Ciano or JGP for the final, and maybe not Porter, but the other three should be fresh enough to start along with Lowe possibly.

Looks like Munster will be without Kilcoyne, Beirne, Stander, Earls, Murray then too. You'd imagine POM will play.
i'd be surprised if Stander isn't playing, as he is retiring.

Murray too given he hasn't played much recently.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 18th, 2021, 3:46 pm
wixfjord wrote: March 18th, 2021, 3:39 pm Connors is injured according to the journos. Knee injury in training.

I think if there is a 'laissez faire' position on selection like that taken by the IRFU (anything's possible) then in all likelihood the IRFU will take a total "We'll leave it up to you" stance right across the board and in that case all of Munsters big players will play. JVG has shown in the past that he has no qualms about throwing players straight from international duty back into a starting team, even for big back to back games

Leocaster on the other hand are, in my opinion, unlikely to.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 18th, 2021, 4:14 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 18th, 2021, 3:46 pm

I think if there is a 'laissez faire' position on selection like that taken by the IRFU (anything's possible) then in all likelihood the IRFU will take a total "We'll leave it up to you" stance right across the board and in that case all of Munsters big players will play. JVG has shown in the past that he has no qualms about throwing players straight from international duty back into a starting team, even for big back to back games

Leocaster on the other hand are, in my opinion, unlikely to.
Munster will put out their strongest team (on paper) for this final. They have shown before (as you noted above) that they are willing to put Ireland players straight into the team the week after an international. There would be uproar down South if there was any indication from the IRFU that players might be rested for a final. I think a lot of people in Leinster underestimate the yearning in Munster for silverware.

Whether their strongest team on paper is actually their strongest team for the match (considerations include a bruising international calendar, re-acclimatising from Irish box-kick-chasing to Munster box-kick-chasing, and the effect on a squad where dirt-trackers are abandoned for the big games) is another question, and one with JVG is best-placed to consider, and ignore.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I wonder will we see Harry Byrne v Joey Carbery in a shootout to replace Sexton?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

johng wrote: March 18th, 2021, 5:01 pm I wonder will we see Harry Byrne v Joey Carbery in a shootout to replace Sexton?
That would be the dream scenario, IMO.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

With regards to the Munster players involved with Ireland, I don’t think it would be a stretch to say that there wouldn’t be a massive issue in staring the likes of killer, Murray and POM, those 3 have not had a massively taxing workload over the last few weeks.

POM has been training with Munster since his suspension, so he is probably well integrated.

I would be surprised to see Beirne or Earls start as they are likely to be in need of a break, and I am not really sure what they will do with Murray.

Stander for me has to start. It’s likely to be his last ever final in a Munster shirt, and he is more than likely no longer a concern for the IRFU.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Would it be safe to say that Lowe will prob now start this one ?
Love to see him in, and he should be nicely wound up ... :D
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

alanair wrote: March 18th, 2021, 6:40 pm Would it be safe to say that Lowe will prob now start this one ?
Love to see him in, and he should be nicely wound up ... :D
Start all the try machines: Sheehan, Penny, McGrath, Lowe and Kearney.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

I think we'll see a lot of our Irish contingent playing. I can see Sexton, Henshaw, Ryan & Healy rested. The rest I would imagine will play a role in the final.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Doris seems to be doing a lot more in training. Delighted to see it.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

the spoofer wrote: March 19th, 2021, 10:33 am Doris seems to be doing a lot more in training. Delighted to see it.
Doris should not be rushed / fast tracked in any way
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

We're going to have to patch together a team for next week. Frawley, Fardy and a few others who were unlikely to feature all went off.

We definitely need some power in the pack. Hopefully Baird, Porter & Rhys are available.

No idea who we're going to put in the centre if Frawley is unavailable.

Could be Harry, Ross and ROL at 10/12/13.