Pro 14 Final vs Munster, March 27th. 5pm. @ The RDS.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Sugary tae
Bookworm

Re: Pro 14 Final vs Munster, March 27th. 5pm. @ The RDS.

Post by Sugary tae »

bluemagic wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 9:48 am
munster#1 wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 9:18 am
bluemagic wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 8:22 am So Stander hasn’t even left these shores yet and Munster have already signed a replacement back row from SA (yet to be announced). This is despite having Cloete already and talent coming through. Joke.

Desperate to win this but really can’t see how given the teams that have been floated and hunger from both teams.
Do elaborate. Hopefully it’s another World Cup winner.
My understanding is he’s a bit of an unknown.

Not 100% sure on this but my understanding is An agreement was made before zebo became available and Munster now don’t have the funds to go after him. IRFU refused to supplement.
Any idea of what province in saffer land this rumoured chap is coming from.

Haven’t heard it through my channels but we do love abit of saffer beef. I was going through the Leinster back row stocks and frankly I think most of them would be mad to leave. Ye have the right amount given how abrasive that position is. Look I’d rather an Irish man than a saffer but at least the project bs is pretty much closed at this stage.
Tod cj and Billy exiting with Ahern ready to step up. Hurley impressed me at the weekend and he can cover backrow. Kendellan looks a very sharp player but he’s not big enough for 8. JOS I feel is going to bea bloody good player but again does he have the size for 8. Cj is going to be a monumental loss.
Strangely if we win at the weekend I think the pressure is off jvg. I expect JJ will exit and the rumours online and around are that Marshall is leaving.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Sugary Tae: "Malcolm Marx would be nice".

LOL!!! Sure would alright. We're hoping we've our own MM 2.0 in Dan Sheehan!!!
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

riocard911 wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 2:10 pm Sugary Tae: "Malcolm Marx would be nice".

LOL!!! Sure would alright. We're hoping we've our own MM 2.0 in Dan Sheehan!!!
Irish rugby hat on so is everyone else.

Scott Buckley in the Munster academy is a similar bullock. I don’t rate any of our hookers if I’m honest.
The sooner we phase out Ryan archer scannell etc. They’re not at the level required sadly
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 9:45 am
wixfjord wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 9:35 am Well that's brilliant news on the full deck! Sorry for doubting you RTB!

I'd still expect some guys to be benched/rested, but it allows us a good bit of leeway in positions like backrow or centre where there are injuries. Having a full deck to pick from is a far bigger boost to us than Munster imo.

I'd still like to see the likes of Dooley, Frawley, Ross Byrne, Kearney start personally, but that also means our bench strength should be a big boost compared to Munster's.
Yeah, obviously it wouldn't be our best chance to win but I'd love to see guys who got us there (I'm thinking Harry Byrne, Dooley, Penny, Bent etc.) start and then by all means pack the bench. It just seems like the right thing to do. A bit sentimental I know, but they would deserve it for sure.
Not sentimental at all. Stu is a big advocate of the organisational culture and the importance of fairness in leadership. The people who have earned their shot at the title will get it.
That said, Kearney does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the others being discussed. The coaches have a seriously hard task in picking this squad, who plays 14 is a no brainer.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

wixfjord wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 12:11 pm There's one ex Munster and Ireland player who is leaving Racing at the end of the season that I would like to see Leinster sign.

And it ain't Zebo.
Now there's a thought! We came pretty close to signing him before he left Ireland from what I understand. He's 37 now so unlikely of course but always had massive respect for Ryan and his attitude and character.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

if we don't have money to re-sign Toner, we certainly don't have it to sign Ryan.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

munster#1 wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 1:28 pm The one player that I really hope will be rested for Leinster is Henshaw, he has been a great signing for Leinster, and is currently in the form of his life.

IMO he is the best centre in Europe right now, and his ability to switch between 12 and 13 will be a nightmare for Munster.

If I were to add another player it would be Furlong, who despite is long layoff, is in great form.
Think Porter might start and I'd be delighted with that. He's been in fantastic form for Leinster and Ireland and will want to prove a point. Loose head and hooker will be more interesting selections from our side.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Flash Gordon wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 3:18 pm
munster#1 wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 1:28 pm The one player that I really hope will be rested for Leinster is Henshaw, he has been a great signing for Leinster, and is currently in the form of his life.

IMO he is the best centre in Europe right now, and his ability to switch between 12 and 13 will be a nightmare for Munster.

If I were to add another player it would be Furlong, who despite is long layoff, is in great form.
Think Porter might start and I'd be delighted with that. He's been in fantastic form for Leinster and Ireland and will want to prove a point. Loose head and hooker will be more interesting selections from our side.
Porter is a great player, and would make most international squads, but IMO there is still a considerable gap between himself and Furlong, especially in the loose.

At the risk of jinxing it, I think Munster should achieve parity in the scrum, and I’d be surprised if either scrum is considerably better than the other, which is why I think Furlong would be a loss for Leinster, and Leinster would be losing his influence around the field.

However, with Leinster having a 6 day turnaround compared to Munster’s 7, before the last 16 games, I think the logical move would be to rest a few of the big guns who may be a bit tired.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

how many of the previous 5 wins did leinster need furlong?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Sugary tae wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 1:44 pm Strangely if we win at the weekend I think the pressure is off jvg. I expect JJ will exit and the rumours online and around are that Marshall is leaving.
:lol: If ye win at the weekend they'll chisel his face into the north face of Carrauntoohil, write a new play and rename that big river of yours The Johannon!

In 20 years every man in Munster will swear blind he was at the game, despite Covid.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

jesus imagine the crowing from thornley et al. if they win :lol:

they've already anointed Joey off one kick return in a meaningless pro 14 game.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 12:34 pm Mike Adamson to ref
Will make a change from the Munster branch bringing the ref with them.

Adamson reffed the semi-final in 2019 that we won 24-9.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 3:17 pm if we don't have money to re-sign Toner, we certainly don't have it to sign Ryan.
Donnacha Ryan off to Vannes in Pro D2.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

blockhead wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 3:50 pm
Sugary tae wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 1:44 pm Strangely if we win at the weekend I think the pressure is off jvg. I expect JJ will exit and the rumours online and around are that Marshall is leaving.
:lol: If ye win at the weekend they'll chisel his face into the north face of Carrauntoohil, write a new play and rename that big river of yours The Johannon!

In 20 years every man in Munster will swear blind he was at the game, despite Covid.
I wish that were true, but to be honest it seems like there is very little buzz around for this game.

The league still seems to be of little significance, so much so, I think if Munster were playing anyone bar Leinster, many wouldn’t be too bothered about the game at all.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

There's a rumoured team on planet rugby forum with Cronin benching. Not sure he offers more than Sheehan at this stage. The concern with Sheehan would be his scrummaging, but that's Cronin's Achilles' heel too.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Jonny tight lips wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 1:08 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 1:03 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 12:34 pm Mike Adamson to ref
Joy neville to TMO
You’d think for the final they could look find Refs not from any of the teams involved .... maybe we should be grateful there are no former players. And before people go on about covid we just had a six nations with neutral refs. It’s the final for god sake
eh... Joy Neville played for Munster .........
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

blockhead wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 3:50 pm

Steady Block ... you know 'ye' is not a word we use .....
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

munster#1 wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 3:38 pm

Porter is a great player, and would make most international squads, but IMO there is still a considerable gap between himself and Furlong, especially in the loose.

At the risk of jinxing it, I think Munster should achieve parity in the scrum, and I’d be surprised if either scrum is considerably better than the other, which is why I think Furlong would be a loss for Leinster, and Leinster would be losing his influence around the field.

However, with Leinster having a 6 day turnaround compared to Munster’s 7, before the last 16 games, I think the logical move would be to rest a few of the big guns who may be a bit tired.
Porter does more around the park for me and is a better athlete. Furlong for brute force and scrummaging is better. I think, given his age and attitude, Porter could be one of our greatest every frontrowers. Trick for Leo is rotation, i think Munster will be stiffer opposition than Toulon. Given the draw, the chances of Munster winning in Europe are low so i suspect it will be balls out for this game. I'd be surprised if Porter doesn't start given rotation but either option is ok by me, great to have the best 2 tightheads in Ireland available. Bit more worried about hooker (lineout) and loosehead.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Hmmm I'm biased, but I would heartily argue that Furlong is better in the loose and a better athlete than Porter personally!

But not a bad position to be in!
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

munster#1 wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 3:38 pm

There’s been little difference in the scrum in pretty much every O’classico in recent years and generally the lineouts tend to be so so........but there’s clear daylight between what Any of the Munster tightheads achieve in terms of carrying and ruck clearances etcetc. Same for Kelleher versus scannell.
The funny thing is salanoa and Knox and jwycherley appear to be handy in the loose. Unfortunately young Wycherley is injured currently