Ulster, Away, March 6th, 7.35pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ulster, Away, March 6th, 7.35pm

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

blockhead wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:36 pm
You need neutral refs and TMOs. Not some D4 sectarian ringers.
Comment about Frank Murphy on UAFC.
I’ve seen a lot of comments about him ruining the game. It’s not his fault the players were so ill disciplined and I’ve no issue with anything that he looked at. IMO the penalty that ruled out the try is only seen as fussy because it would have been such a great try. McCloskey initiated contact with Ruddock so I don’t see the issue and it’s different to the two dummy runners for MOR’s break because they weren’t as close to the Ulster defenders.

I think he’s a poor ref but tonight is mainly on the players and if anything he could have given out a lot more penalties and cards for both sides. If anything he let too much go at the breakdown which led to players taking the law into their own hands.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:50 pm
I’ve seen a lot of comments about him ruining the game. It’s not his fault the players were so ill disciplined and I’ve no issue with anything that he looked at. IMO the penalty that ruled out the try is only seen as fussy because it would have been such a great try. McCloskey initiated contact with Ruddock so I don’t see the issue and it’s different to the two dummy runners for MOR’s break because they weren’t as close to the Ulster defenders.

I think he’s a poor ref but tonight is mainly on the players and if anything he could have given out a lot more penalties and cards for both sides. If anything he let too much go at the breakdown which led to players taking the law into their own hands.
That's fair. I'll repeat again but you can't really complain about the ref when beaten by 20 odd points. They have to take responsibility.
Dont Panic!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

So Gerry actually writes the blurb as well as the article?
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I'm kinda annoyed about the red card, because I'm very confident that we would have won anyway. Ulster's inability to do anything meaningful when they were 15 vs 13 made it obvious to me that they just don't have the belief that they can beat us. The Warwick hit looked bad on slow motion, but in real time it's a push more than anything. No more than a yellow for me. I also disliked the pushiness of the TMO.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:48 am
The Leinster team from 1-10 is comparable to any other Pro14 team with a healthy supply of international players. However it is in the roles that Leinster's Game Plan assigns to our players 11-15 and 16-23 that the Leinster 'system' will get it's sternest analysis.

If Leinster do come through this evening, it will be the loudest shout to the other Irish Provinces just how much harder they must try. Really looking forward to see how Leocaster sets up our 11-15.
I was fairly confident that from 1-10 we'd be all right. But from 11-15 tonight they were great, especially Max O'Reilly and Jimmy O'Brien.

The Ulster pack are technically good but underpowered in the front five. When they match-up against a good technical pack with power & experience, they have no answers. Once it was clear that Coeteze was carrying a leg, they were unable to win any man-on-man contest. Marty at LHP even conceded a penalty to Clarkson. Our pack were hungry and ruthless. Even with 8 they rarely matched us and were unable to defend our pick and drive at any point.

Luke & Ross were superb in every aspect and controlled the tempo and tactics really well. MO'R, JO'B, RO'L with Dave & Cian defended really well and chose lots of good options.

That was the most enjoyable game of the season and the refereeing / TMO decisions didn't spoil it for this watcher, although I'd have preferred 30 players on the pitch throughout. The sad reality is we'll have that less often until all playeers recognise that contact above the chest has lethal risks for all concerned.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Congratulations on the win and becoming the second team to secure a spot in the league final.

I am looking forward to a cracking final, which I suspect that Leinster will win.
However, the last two games of the six nations could decide the margin depending on injuries, and players ability to slot back into their club teams.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Jesus the comments on the Ulster forum are awful. More than one saying Frank Murphy is corrupt and on the take, blaming the ex-Leinster players in the Ulster squad, saying the officials are sectarian. Really ugly stuff
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Twist wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:27 pm Jesus the comments on the Ulster forum are awful. More than one saying Frank Murphy is corrupt and on the take, blaming the ex-Leinster players in the Ulster squad, saying the officials are sectarian. Really ugly stuff
Leave em stew......
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:50 pm

Think it was Berch mentioned Ulster were just doing whatever they could to disrupt the ruck in their own 22 when they had 13.
Can't blame them. It's a really tough decision for a ref to give another yellow for repeated low to moderate infringements against 13.

Was disappointed we didn't see O'Toole's hit on O'Loughlin again. Left TO'T with a split lip and ROL mentioned it to Frank Murphy about 3 times after.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Twist wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:27 pm Jesus the comments on the Ulster forum are awful. More than one saying Frank Murphy is corrupt and on the take, blaming the ex-Leinster players in the Ulster squad, saying the officials are sectarian. Really ugly stuff
That's UAFC, that's just the way they are.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
leargas
Bookworm

Post by leargas »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:23 am
Lock9541 wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:22 am Ulster have 5 Leinster rejects in their starting team and one on the bench.
:? Use of the term rejects is a bit much.
Agreed. Are Sean Cronin and Rob Henshaw, respectively, Munster and Connacht rejects?
leargas
Bookworm

Post by leargas »

D4 West Brit ringers is the perception among the looper fringe of Shelbyville.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Ulster have some extremely good backs but jesus our pack ate them up and spat them out the other end! Seriously impressive. It's clear to see the change in style Leinster have gone through since our successive defeats to Saracens in '19 & '20. We are far more conservative and we look to build pressure on teams, ala Exeter. Hopefully it pays off against the bigger teams. This was our 2nd choice pack and just goes to show the gulf in class between the two teams.

Munsters' pack will be a lot better but I still think we'll win. Serious 5 weeks for our first choice team now though. Scotland, then England, then Pro14 final vs. Munster, then last 16 of Europe and finished off by the QF. The S&C staff & Leo's team selections will be put to the test now.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Jesus I wish Leinster had a wing like Balacoune come through the system..
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 7th, 2021, 9:57 am Jesus I wish Leinster had a wing like Balacoune come through the system..
I know he’s injured a lot and his defence is something he needs to work a lot on, but going forward Adam Byrne has the same attacking prowess as balacoune
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Theleinsterlad wrote: March 7th, 2021, 10:03 am
mildlyinterested wrote: March 7th, 2021, 9:57 am Jesus I wish Leinster had a wing like Balacoune come through the system..
I know he’s injured a lot and his defence is something he needs to work a lot on, but going forward Adam Byrne has the same attacking prowess as balacoune
Unfortunately I don't agree. Like AB as much as I do, but he doesn't have the pace/acceleration/step of Balacoune and he isn't as rounded a player.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:08 pm No comparison of half backs is valid when one pack annihilates the other and that's what this was. Luke & Ross were great in attack, tempo and defence. Top class performances.
I wish B Burns had been playing tonight, because Rosser and Luke looked like men out to prove a point which they did definitively.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:49 pm
FLIP wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:46 pm
Short of seasoning so you had to head to the salt mines blockhead?
Always good for a larf is the oul UAFC. Headbangers central.
Love when the Mexican's head up to Texas and f%~k the place up
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

Does anyone think that penny is probably going to be the best of all the 7s we have. He's in the SOB mold.
I would say we are going to have a big decision on which 7s we keep.
It's unlikely the IRFU will allow the 4 best opensides in the country be in the same set up. I'd say 1 will be moved on this summer.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The lead up to the MOR break and eventual try is well, well worth a watch.

Brilliant basics, hard carrying and a touch of magic.

Starts with a good kick from Luke which falls into Dev's arms.

Then a great carry from Bent who makes 3-4 yards and puts us on front foot.

Next is a crossfield garryowen from Ross that MOR claims above Stockdale and offloads to Kelleher.

Ball goes back inside to JVDF who barrels over Jordi and Tom O'Toole.

MOR has tracked all the way across the pitch and gets the pullback from Ross. He then makes the break and flicks that ridiculous offload.

Luke is scragged by Cooney just before the line and that leads to McCloskey card and eventually the try.

Absolutely fantastic skills and pressure on the opposition. Really aggressive stuff.