Ulster, Away, March 6th, 7.35pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ulster, Away, March 6th, 7.35pm

Post by mildlyinterested »

With a 6 point lead, this game is no longer a must win which is good as the injury list is huge and the team isn't exactly in the best of form..

Will Frawley or Harry B be available to start at 10?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Ulster, Away, March 6th, 7.35pm

Post by wixfjord »

Hopefully we'll get a few guys back from national squad like Ed, Ross, Rhys etc. None of those played at the weekend and are unlikely to be involved (from the start at least) against France.

Frawley didn't look great at the start.

Harry looked ok at the end of the game. 6 day turnaround may be too tight for him albeit.

Could see something like:

Dooley, Tracy, Bent, Molony, Toner, Murphy, Penny, Rhys, Luke, Ross, DK, ROL, Osborne, CK, JOB
Cronin, Byrne, Clarkson, Fardy, VDF, Osborne, Hawkshaw, MOR

Would be a bit worried about our centre partnership against McCloskey & Hume, but at least there's a bit more impact to bring off the bench.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

I’d be tempted to keep DS on the bench, particularly now we’re 6 points clear, it would be a good step up for him. Also I imagine we get Baird back so not sure where he comes in but probably on the bench. Seems odd with VDF on the bench but Penny HAS to start this one.

Will need to see the injury update before seeing how 10-12-13 looks but the centres looked anything but sound defensively yesterday so needs to be looked at.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jonny tight lips wrote: March 1st, 2021, 10:53 am I’d be tempted to keep DS on the bench, particularly now we’re 6 points clear, it would be a good step up for him. Also I imagine we get Baird back so not sure where he comes in but probably on the bench. Seems odd with VDF on the bench but Penny HAS to start this one.

Will need to see the injury update before seeing how 10-12-13 looks but the centres looked anything but sound defensively yesterday so needs to be looked at.
Do you reckon we'll get guys who came on in Rome back?

If so Conan & Baird would certainly be welcome additions!
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Ireland releases for inter-pro derbies this w'end:

Connacht - Bundee Aki, Ultan Dillane, Dave Heffernan

Leinster - Ed Byrne, Ross Byrne, Rhys Ruddock, Josh van der Flier

Munster - Craig Casey, Andrew Conway, Shane Daly, Chris Farrell

Ulster - Stuart McCloskey, Tom O’Toole.

No Conan but Ruddock & Ross back is big
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

No Burns for Ulster then I assume?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

So...

1. Dooley
2. Cronin
3. Bent
4. Molony
5. Fardy
6. Ruddock
7. JVDF
8. Penny?
9. Luke
10. RB
11. Kearney
12. ROL
13. Osborne
14. Kelleher
15. JOB
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 1st, 2021, 12:29 pm So...

1. Dooley
2. Cronin
3. Bent
4. Molony
5. Fardy
6. Ruddock
7. JVDF
8. Penny?
9. Luke
10. RB
11. Kearney
12. ROL
13. Osborne
14. Kelleher
15. JOB
Personally, only that it was so late in the day I don't think you would have seen Osbourne at 13 and unlikely they'd repeat it with advanced notice. They seem to to have more faith in MOR so I'd think more along the lines of:

Dooley, Treacy, Bent
Moloney, Fardy/Dev
Murphy, Ruddock. JVDF (Penny to bench)
Luke, Ross
ROL, JOB
Kearney, MOR, Kelleher

Not saying it would be my choice but going on guys they seem to favor at the moment this is what I think they'd go for.

Surprised we're not getting Conan back. Unlikely to start against Scotland and could really do with some minutes.

Hugely surprised we're not getting Ryan Baird back :shock:
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 1st, 2021, 12:45 pm
Personally, only that it was so late in the day I don't think you would have seen Osbourne at 13 and unlikely they'd repeat it with advanced notice. They seem to to have more faith in MOR so I'd think more along the lines of:

Dooley, Treacy, Bent
Moloney, Fardy/Dev
Luke, Ross
ROL, JOB
Kearney, MOR, Kelleher

Not saying it would be my choice but going on guys they seem to favor at the moment this is what I think they'd go for.

Surprised we're not getting Conan back. Unlikely to start against Scotland and could really do with some minutes.

Do they?

The only reason he came on at all yesterday was because of a Kelleher HIA and he didn't feature at all after half time.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

arsebiscuits1 wrote: March 1st, 2021, 12:50 pm

Dooley, Treacy, Bent
Moloney, Fardy/Dev
Luke, Ross
ROL, JOB
Kearney, MOR, Kelleher

Do they?

The only reason he came on at all yesterday was because of a Kelleher HIA and he didn't feature at all after half time.
Ah I think so. There may not be a whole lot in it but they could have started Osbourne at 15e once or twice in the last few weeks and decided to go with MOR. Obviosity could be wrong about this and they definitely rate Osbourne, but I just think if it comes down to a straight choice between starting Orbourne at 13 and MOR at 15 that they'll go with MOR. Hopefully, they have other options open to them though with better injury news during the week.

Edited:
Last edited by LeinsterLeader on March 1st, 2021, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 1st, 2021, 1:10 pm
arsebiscuits1 wrote: March 1st, 2021, 12:50 pm

Dooley, Treacy, Bent
Moloney, Fardy/Dev
Luke, Ross
ROL, JOB
Kearney, MOR, Kelleher

Do they?

Ah I think so. There may not be a whole lot in it but they could have started Cosgrove at 15e once or twice in the last few weeks and decided to go with MOR. Obviosity could be wrong about this and they definitely rate Cosgrove, but I just think if it comes down to a straight choice between starting Cosgrove at 13 and MOR at 15 that they'll go with MOR. Hopefully, they have other options open to them though with better injury news during the week.
you mean Osborne when you say Cosgrove.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I would probably prefer Osborne at 13 to MOR at 15. With another week to prepare alongside ROL he should be more comfortable positionally and he's a much bigger specimen so should be able to cope with Hume/McCloskey running straight.

I also think moving JOB to 13 limits the option to use his left boot.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ed Byrne may get the nod ahead of Dooley (possibly with encouragement from National Coach). Byrne going up first against Marty Moore may give Dooley a big opportunity in last 30 mins as Marty rarely lasts beyond 50 mins. Dev & Ross in the row with Fardy benching.

Hawkshaw and RO'L may be our centre partnership outside Ross Byrne with Kelleher, Kearney and JO'B our back three.

JVdF, Rhys & Josh Murphy for back-row start with Penny to join at 50 mins to close it out.

Playing Ulster lasts 80 minutes and we must ensure our Squad are in command in final quarter.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 1st, 2021, 1:20 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: March 1st, 2021, 1:10 pm
Ah I think so. There may not be a whole lot in it but they could have started Cosgrove at 15e once or twice in the last few weeks and decided to go with MOR. Obviosity could be wrong about this and they definitely rate Cosgrove, but I just think if it comes down to a straight choice between starting Cosgrove at 13 and MOR at 15 that they'll go with MOR. Hopefully, they have other options open to them though with better injury news during the week.
you mean Osborne when you say Cosgrove.
I do! You're right MI, apologies!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: March 1st, 2021, 1:32 pm I would probably prefer Osborne at 13 to MOR at 15. With another week to prepare alongside ROL he should be more comfortable positionally and he's a much bigger specimen so should be able to cope with Hume/McCloskey running straight.

I also think moving JOB to 13 limits the option to use his left boot.
All good points actually!

Suppose we'll have to see what's available. I'd assume they won't train today after match yesterday?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Penny looked to be carrying a hip/glute knock when he came off.
So might mean he benches.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 1st, 2021, 2:04 pm Ed Byrne may get the nod ahead of Dooley (possibly with encouragement from National Coach). Byrne going up first against Marty Moore may give Dooley a big opportunity in last 30 mins as Marty rarely lasts beyond 50 mins. Dev & Ross in the row with Fardy benching.

Said this a while ago but I really noticed it in the last two games, Marty has gotten fitter and is playing much better around the park, but I think it's been at the expense of his scrummaging. He's emptied guys in a few tackles but doesn't seem to have that power when it comes to scrum time.

He turns 30 today so will only be 32 for the next World Cup. I think I've probably said this four or five times at this stage but I'd love him to get it together and get back playing for Ireland. He's shown a fairly consistent improvement at this stage and is in a really good environment so maybe he can keep it up until 2023 and get the balance right between fitness and strength, it's certainly a great target to aim for.

I don't think it'll happen and there's more competition than ever before (even if Porter moves across) but I do think he's been working harder and getting the rewards.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 1st, 2021, 2:52 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: March 1st, 2021, 2:04 pm Ed Byrne may get the nod ahead of Dooley (possibly with encouragement from National Coach). Byrne going up first against Marty Moore may give Dooley a big opportunity in last 30 mins as Marty rarely lasts beyond 50 mins. Dev & Ross in the row with Fardy benching.

Said this a while ago but I really noticed it in the last two games, Marty has gotten fitter and is playing much better around the park, but I think it's been at the expense of his scrummaging. He's emptied guys in a few tackles but doesn't seem to have that power when it comes to scrum time.

He turns 30 today so will only be 32 for the next World Cup. I think I've probably said this four or five times at this stage but I'd love him to get it together and get back playing for Ireland. He's shown a fairly consistent improvement at this stage and is in a really good environment so maybe he can keep it up until 2023 and get the balance right between fitness and strength, it's certainly a great target to aim for.

I don't think it'll happen and there's more competition than ever before (even if Porter moves across) but I do think he's been working harder and getting the rewards.
Must be doing a few webex sessions with the great Dai Young
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Three players will require further assessment this week before a final decision will be made on their involvement.

Ciarán Frawley injured his shoulder in the warm-up against Glasgow Warriors and will be further assessed as will Cian Kelleher who received stitches to a facial injury in the first half.

Finally, Harry Byrne was removed for a Head Injury Assessment against Glasgow Warriors and will now follow the Graduated Return to Play Protocols this week.

There was no new injury update on the following players who remain unavailable for selection:

Tommy O’Brien (ankle), Adam Byrne (quad), Caelan Doris (concussive symptoms), Dan Leavy (knee), Conor O’Brien (knee), Max Deegan (knee) and Vakh Abdaladze (back).

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/cullen-inj ... d-belfast/
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster possibly missing the following senior squad players this week:

Cian Healy
Ronan Kelleher
Tadhg Furlong
Andrew Porter
Vakh Abdaladze(inj)
James Ryan