Ulster, Away, March 6th, 7.35pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ulster, Away, March 6th, 7.35pm

Post by Morf »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 5th, 2021, 3:48 pm What wouldn't I give to discover Noel Reid hidden behind a door in Clonkeagh today?
Very lightweight in mid-field / full-back and Lowry in particular will cause them problems
I think Joe Tomane is a real loss this season. Really grew into a solid option 11-14.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Laighin Break wrote: March 5th, 2021, 6:34 pm Big Mal O'Kelly, hands down
Surprisingly good footballer
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Before he goes, could we not try Sean Cronin in the centre? Think we missed a trick there over the years.
Cannonball Cronin has a nice ring to it.
Or, O' Bastareaud?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Since 2006, when Ulster last won this competition, Leinster have lifted the title six times, as well as collecting a quartet of European Cups.

Take nothing away from them. They have devised a system that works, not just for them but also Irish Rugby. The team they have selected for this evening’s game contains a World Cup finalist and 10 Irish internationals. But never mind the XV we’ll see tonight, look instead at this team of absentees: Keenan; Larmour, Ringrose, Henshaw, Lowe; Sexton, Gibson-Park; Healy, Kelleher, Furlong; Baird, Ryan; Leavy, Connors, Doris.

That’s why Ulster have to win this, not just to keep their hopes alive of reaching another Pro14 decider but because a defeat to a severely weakened Leinster would be a stain on their reputation.

You wouldn’t want to be the one telling Devin Toner or Scott Fardy about the idea that you fancy Ulster to edge things physically tonight, especially as the tight five is an area Leinster will probably shade. But this isn’t five versus five; it’s 23 versus 23 and there are more streetwise operators on the Ulster bench than there are on Leinster’s.

Beyond that factor, there’s another and it reminds you of an old boxing saying, to put your money on the kid who is fighting for his breakfast In other words, back the hungrier of the two participants.

That’s Ulster. They know if they lose tonight that they’re gone; that there’s no safety net. They also know they could conceivably win tonight, end the regular season with more points than Munster (and more wins than any other team in the championship) and still not make the final.

They need favours, if not from Zebre, then from Ospreys, Leinster’s last two opponents. More than favours, though, they need to get one over Leinster, something they failed to do in January, when they last met them.

But that Leinster team resembles this one solely in terms of the fact they both wear blue. In January, when Leinster schooled Ulster in the second half, Johnny Sexton was there. So was James Ryan, Cian Healy, Hugo Keenan, Jordan Larmour, Robbie Henshaw, Jamison Gibson-Park, Andrew Porter, Caelan Doris. They brought Jack Conan and Harry Byrne off the bench.

Those luxuries aren’t available tonight. Ulster, though, have a stronger team now than they had then. If they can’t beat them now, they never will.
https://www.the42.ie/ulster-leinster-3-5373612-Mar2021/
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

GT
Leinster, who hold a 31-8 win-loss record against Ulster in this competition, with two matches drawn.

Forecast: Ulster to win.
www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/ul ... -1.4502612
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 6th, 2021, 9:46 am GT
Leinster, who hold a 31-8 win-loss record against Ulster in this competition, with two matches drawn.

Good luck with that Gerry, will be tight but think we can just shade it.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Blueberry wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:35 am
mildlyinterested wrote: March 6th, 2021, 9:46 am GT

Disagree it's a must win for Ulster and a much bigger game for them. Think they'll win. Frankly if they don't win its a bad sign for irish rugby.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Ulster have 5 Leinster rejects in their starting team and one on the bench.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Lock9541 wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:22 am Ulster have 5 Leinster rejects in their starting team and one on the bench.
:? Use of the term rejects is a bit much.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Lock9541 wrote: March 6th, 2021, 11:22 am Ulster have 5 Leinster rejects in their starting team and one on the bench.
Wouldn't mind getting a few of those "rejects" back just the same.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:44 am
Blueberry wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:35 am
Disagree it's a must win for Ulster and a much bigger game for them. Think they'll win. Frankly if they don't win its a bad sign for irish rugby.
Whilst I understand where you coming from, I'm not convinced that's right. Leinster have set the benchmark in player development and tonight is the sort of test which can prove that assertion. The Leinster team from 1-10 is comparable to any other Pro14 team with a healthy supply of international players. However it is in the roles that Leinster's Game Plan assigns to our players 11-15 and 16-23 that the Leinster 'system' will get it's sternest analysis.

If Leinster do come through this evening, it will be the loudest shout to the other Irish Provinces just how much harder they must try. Really looking forward to see how Leocaster sets up our 11-15.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Blueberry wrote:Good luck with that Gerry, will be tight but think we can just shade it.
Just don’t see it. Ulster will win it. I think we’re so well coached that we’ll make more of a game of this than we have any right to, but when it comes down to it, Ulster are a good team with decent coaches and are barely missing any players and they’re facing a barebones Leinster team.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I feel like I’m seeing a different team sheet to the one that all the pessimistic people are talking about. We’ve a really good team out, doesn’t mean that we win, but we’ve a good side that’s well capable of winning.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 6th, 2021, 9:44 am
Since 2006, when Ulster last won this competition, Leinster have lifted the title six times, as well as collecting a quartet of European Cups.

Take nothing away from them. They have devised a system that works, not just for them but also Irish Rugby. The team they have selected for this evening’s game contains a World Cup finalist and 10 Irish internationals. But never mind the XV we’ll see tonight, look instead at this team of absentees: Keenan; Larmour, Ringrose, Henshaw, Lowe; Sexton, Gibson-Park; Healy, Kelleher, Furlong; Baird, Ryan; Leavy, Connors, Doris.

That’s why Ulster have to win this, not just to keep their hopes alive of reaching another Pro14 decider but because a defeat to a severely weakened Leinster would be a stain on their reputation.

You wouldn’t want to be the one telling Devin Toner or Scott Fardy about the idea that you fancy Ulster to edge things physically tonight, especially as the tight five is an area Leinster will probably shade. But this isn’t five versus five; it’s 23 versus 23 and there are more streetwise operators on the Ulster bench than there are on Leinster’s.

Beyond that factor, there’s another and it reminds you of an old boxing saying, to put your money on the kid who is fighting for his breakfast In other words, back the hungrier of the two participants.

That’s Ulster. They know if they lose tonight that they’re gone; that there’s no safety net. They also know they could conceivably win tonight, end the regular season with more points than Munster (and more wins than any other team in the championship) and still not make the final.

They need favours, if not from Zebre, then from Ospreys, Leinster’s last two opponents. More than favours, though, they need to get one over Leinster, something they failed to do in January, when they last met them.

But that Leinster team resembles this one solely in terms of the fact they both wear blue. In January, when Leinster schooled Ulster in the second half, Johnny Sexton was there. So was James Ryan, Cian Healy, Hugo Keenan, Jordan Larmour, Robbie Henshaw, Jamison Gibson-Park, Andrew Porter, Caelan Doris. They brought Jack Conan and Harry Byrne off the bench.

Those luxuries aren’t available tonight. Ulster, though, have a stronger team now than they had then. If they can’t beat them now, they never will.
https://www.the42.ie/ulster-leinster-3-5373612-Mar2021/
Once a champ, always a champ.

This isn’t a cup final for Ulster. A win still leaves it out of their hands and probably too little time left.

I’m sure they’ll produce a big game, they would even if they were mathematically out already. I wouldn’t be a fan of the closing narrative.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

It's absolutely a cup final for Ulster, albeit without the cup at the end.

It's last chance saloon for them. They have to win, ideally 5-0, or their season is over besides the Challenge Cup.

All they can focus on is this game, and when you combine that with the fact that on paper, their side looks stronger AND they're at home, they should be clear favourites.

This is a really good test for us, a win would be significant.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 6th, 2021, 12:59 pm I feel like I’m seeing a different team sheet to the one that all the pessimistic people are talking about. We’ve a really good team out, doesn’t mean that we win, but we’ve a good side that’s well capable of winning.
With the internationals back I think we have it. It’s not just the talent we got back, it’s where we got it. With Frawley, Harry Byrne and Hawkshaw all out we would have been in big trouble without Ross Byrne.

Ruddock and vdF change the backrow competitive situation and it also means we have a solid bench.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

ronk wrote: March 6th, 2021, 1:24 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 6th, 2021, 12:59 pm I feel like I’m seeing a different team sheet to the one that all the pessimistic people are talking about. We’ve a really good team out, doesn’t mean that we win, but we’ve a good side that’s well capable of winning.
With the internationals back I think we have it. It’s not just the talent we got back, it’s where we got it. With Frawley, Harry Byrne and Hawkshaw all out we would have been in big trouble without Ross Byrne.

Ruddock and vdF change the backrow competitive situation and it also means we have a solid bench.
Imagine how screwed we would of been if Ross Byrne wasn’t available for this game 😂😂 there’s literally no out halves left in the entire squad.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Sean Cronin has been ruled out with a back injury and is replaced on the bench by Dan Sheehan.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 6th, 2021, 6:26 pm Sean Cronin has been ruled out with a back injury and is replaced on the bench by Dan Sheehan.
While it’s great having exp. really excited to see if Dan gets more than 10-15 mins in the game
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 6th, 2021, 6:26 pm Sean Cronin has been ruled out with a back injury and is replaced on the bench by Dan Sheehan.
Is it just me or are we losing players between team announcements a d game starts more than anybody else?

At least it’s a position we actually have cover