Ulster, Away, March 6th, 7.35pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Re: Ulster, Away, March 6th, 7.35pm

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Flash Gordon wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:24 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:10 pm Leaving injuries aside (from both teams), they're only short of Burns, Hendo and Herring.

We're missing Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Porter, Ryan, Baird, Connors, Conan, JGP, Sexton, Larmour, Henshaw, Ringrose, Lowe, Keenan.

If the selected team can do well, it'll be a landmark performance. Not even looking to a win, but a performance even in defeat will set down a marker.
Madigan instead of Burns actually makes them stronger in my view. Hendo is the only difference maker in the players they don't have. We have a good back row but so do they. Our backline vs theirs doesn't compare favourably, and that's putting it mildly....

Have to say that I'm glad this one is a dead rubber!
Herring is a loss for them too in fairness, anything less than a 5-0 and Ulster need to be having a serious look at themselves and the coaching ticket should be considering their positions. I’m sure you will still have a few idiots using an Ulster win here as a reason to get lads into the Ireland squad hahaha
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Jonny tight lips wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:37 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:10 pm Leaving injuries aside (from both teams), they're only short of Burns, Hendo and Herring.

We're missing Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Porter, Ryan, Baird, Connors, Conan, JGP, Sexton, Larmour, Henshaw, Ringrose, Lowe, Keenan.

If the selected team can do well, it'll be a landmark performance. Not even looking to a win, but a performance even in defeat will set down a marker.
Madigan instead of Burns actually makes them stronger in my view. Hendo is the only difference maker in the players they don't have. We have a good back row but so do they. Our backline vs theirs doesn't compare favourably, and that's putting it mildly....

Herring is a loss for them too in fairness, anything less than a 5-0 and Ulster need to be having a serious look at themselves and the coaching ticket should be considering their positions. I’m sure you will still have a few idiots using an Ulster win here as a reason to get lads into the Ireland squad hahaha
To your point, the competitive advantage we have is coaching. Big opportunity for lads to make a name for themselves this weekend!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jaysus relax a bit there! They're clearly a better side but that's a Euro level 1-10 we're putting out and we should be well able to compete.

Like from 1-14 we've a core of guys who have been there and done that, along with plenty of bench experience to come in.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

wixfjord wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:44 pm
Jaysus relax a bit there! They're clearly a better side but that's a Euro level 1-10 we're putting out and we should be well able to compete.

Like from 1-14 we've a core of guys who have been there and done that, along with plenty of bench experience to come in.
Fardy and Toner are on their last legs. I wouldn't be too confident of us winning a european game with them starting at lock and Byrne, Tracy and Bent starting in the front row.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Flash Gordon wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:42 pm

To your point, the competitive advantage we have is coaching. Big opportunity for lads to make a name for themselves this weekend!
I dunno Ulster are very well coached.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Is Hawkshaw injured?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

cormac wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:48 pm Is Hawkshaw injured?
yes.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:47 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:42 pm

I dunno Ulster are very well coached.
They are but I think our attack coaching is far superior. I've always felt that Ulster are pretty easy to defend against. Really looking forward to see those 2 back rows up against each other.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:46 pm

Fardy and Toner are on their last legs. I wouldn't be too confident of us winning a european game with them starting at lock and Byrne, Tracy and Bent starting in the front row.
That was the exact pack 5 that started in Montpellier but with Byrne instead of Dooley, who some would say is an upgrade.

In fact besides Doris for Penny and Dooley for Byrne this is the 1-10 who won in France. So I don't see it being blown away in Ravenhill.
Last edited by wixfjord on March 5th, 2021, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

One area we should be on top is lineout. Ulster don't tend to compete there and we have three good jumpers along with three more on the bench.

I would've started Ross M personally. He seems to enjoy derbies and is a better defensive jumper than the others.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

cormac wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:48 pm Is Hawkshaw injured?
He went off injured last game but was walking shaking hands after the match so doesn’t look too serious.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Yeah, gutted to see Moloney on the bench for this. You would suspect that they have picked Dev and Fardy for their heft at scrum time.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Peg Leg wrote: March 5th, 2021, 3:00 pm

Yeah, gutted to see Moloney on the bench for this. You would suspect that they have picked Dev and Fardy for their heft at scrum time.
Molony picked up an ankle knock last week during training so you'd wonder how fit he is.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

It's the big one, the winner-takes-all match to determine who tops group A and takes their place in the final!!!!

That is the line the poor souls at the Pro Rugby PR department were desperate to be writing this week. Unfortunately Ulster's failure to get a four try bonus point in both of their last two games has opened up a six point lead for Leinster. So Leinster could potentially afford a defeat tomorrow evening and still make the final with wins over Zebre and the Ospreys in their last two games.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

What wouldn't I give to discover Noel Reid hidden behind a door in Clonkeagh today?
Very lightweight in mid-field / full-back and Lowry in particular will cause them problems
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 5th, 2021, 3:48 pm What wouldn't I give to discover Noel Reid hidden behind a door in Clonkeagh today?
Very lightweight in mid-field / full-back and Lowry in particular will cause them problems
I'd rather if Conor O'Brien was available to be honest.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Tommy O'Brien for me.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Sean O'Brien would be my choice

( I wasn't sure what we doing. I just wanted to be part of it :shock:)
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Brian O’Driscoll for me
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Big Mal O'Kelly, hands down