Ulster, Away, March 6th, 7.35pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Ulster, Away, March 6th, 7.35pm

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruddock has started at 8 more often than Penny has started.

Its a tricky one, Penny certainly played very well against Glasgow - Ruddock has probably been the form irish forward this season.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Against a pack like Ulster's, the effect of introducing an explosive open-side carrier like Penny, at about 55 mins, having coped with / survived the bullocking strength of Ruddock and Murphy could be devastating. Our line-out and scrum should ensure that we'll have a good supply of first phase ball to establish the tempo of the game and JVdF and RB should be able to pressurise Mads and McCluskey sufficiently to make McCluskey only get the ball fairly deep, rather than on the gainline.

Ulster enter the game under pressure for a result. We start the game in the box seat, playing to maintain our dominance in the league but with some fragility in our mid-field. We need to be able to play for 60 mins with pack and half-backs without giving them a sniff. ( If Frawley is fit, the pattern might be very different).

Looking forward to it. The Leinster element in their pack in particular will be really up for it and Jordi, Timoney & Greg Jones will certainly be looking to lay down markers. I don't think they'll be successful.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Jcahill1 wrote: March 4th, 2021, 11:05 pm
Theleinsterlad wrote: March 4th, 2021, 10:45 pm That depends who you think your best three are for the game. Horses for courses - penny is actually the only natural ball carrier of the 4 being discussed. Dont get me wrong Rhys never shys from taking the ball but it’s not his forte, he does his damage off the ball. JVF is trying to improve on this area and Murphy uses his strength to get over the line, but all three are not close to penny’s amazing ability to get distance on his carries - his size helps. To have our best and most balanced back row having josh 7 penny 8 and Rhys 6 would be the best, plus we then have Murphy on the bench to cover the whole back 5 in the pack
I'd say carrying is a big strength of Ruddocks at his best. Just because he uses his bulk rather than explosive twitch muscles doesn't make it less effective!
I’m a big fan of Rhys but he admits it himself that carrying and making yards is a weakness in his overall game. The guy fronts up and regularly takes the huge hits to keep our phases going but he doesn’t have the same movement out of tackle like some others. That said I would have his nam e down on the team sheet before anyone else and if it meant putting him 8 I’d happily see that
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Rhys is one of our highest carriers both in terms of total carries and overall yards this season.

I think it's absolutely his 'forte' to be honest!

You need different types of carriers in your side, not just guys with fast twitch speed.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Tasty pack. But no ten cover makes me nervous
Anyone But New Zealand
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

There's a whiff of bare-bones about that selection
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:00 pm There's a whiff of bare-bones about that selection
reality is they are down to the bare bones in the backs.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ulster team to play Leinster Rugby, Guinness PRO14 Round 14, Saturday 6 March at Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 7.35pm, live on Premier Sports):

(15-9) Michael Lowry, Robert Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Ian Madigan, John Cooney.

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, John Andrew, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor, Kieran Treadwell, Nick Timoney, Jordi Murphy (Capt.), Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Andrew Warwick, Marty Moore, Cormac Izuchukwu, Sean Reidy, Alby Mathewson, Stewart Moore, Rob Lyttle.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

If that Ulster side can't beat that Leinster side..
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Presume thats Jack Dunne listed at 24?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Leaving injuries aside (from both teams), they're only short of Burns, Hendo and Herring.

We're missing Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Porter, Ryan, Baird, Connors, Conan, JGP, Sexton, Larmour, Henshaw, Ringrose, Lowe, Keenan.

If the selected team can do well, it'll be a landmark performance. Not even looking to a win, but a performance even in defeat will set down a marker.
I have Bumbleflex
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Why don’t they give injury updates on academy players?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Lock9541 wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:13 pm Why don’t they give injury updates on academy players?

I'd guess that one of the major reasons, considering the level of education in professional sport younger players get, is that they aren't allowed.

Each player will be different and have a different approach, but if I were an agent I would have any player I represent refuse permission for the sharing of their injury status
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Lock9541 wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:13 pm Why don’t they give injury updates on academy players?
They just dont
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jaysus this will be tough! Big test for our centre partnership and MOR in particular.

There is a little bit of experience and impact on the bench to come in at least. Molony, Murphy, Dooley, Cronin should add a bit.

This feels like that time we beat Munster in Thomond with a load of kids. Could be a real 'coming of age' opportunity for a few guys.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:16 pm
They just dont
Strange
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Team looks really good to me. 1-10 is really strong, midfield far from first choice and I’d prefer if they’d played together more often recently (and JOB hasn’t been as good before his injury) but they’re still quality players, and both wings are in good form aside from Kelleher’s penalties last week that he can’t repeat tomorrow. MOR is a bit of a worry but I’m not sure that Ulster are the team to expose him with their kicking game.

Madigan had a complete nightmare last week, hope we get into him early. Wouldn’t be surprised if Coetzee is still injured and not as effective as usual.

Really surprised to see Penny at 8 and Rhys at 6 but I guess it makes sense. Also a massive opportunity for Penny to lay down another marker. If he shows himself to be a real contender at 8 then he makes himself far more valuable to our 23 and massively improve his chances of getting into the next Ireland squad as well.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:02 pm If that Ulster side can't beat that Leinster side..
At home
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 5th, 2021, 12:10 pm Leaving injuries aside (from both teams), they're only short of Burns, Hendo and Herring.

We're missing Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Porter, Ryan, Baird, Connors, Conan, JGP, Sexton, Larmour, Henshaw, Ringrose, Lowe, Keenan.

If the selected team can do well, it'll be a landmark performance. Not even looking to a win, but a performance even in defeat will set down a marker.
Madigan instead of Burns actually makes them stronger in my view. Hendo is the only difference maker in the players they don't have. We have a good back row but so do they. Our backline vs theirs doesn't compare favourably, and that's putting it mildly....

Have to say that I'm glad this one is a dead rubber!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us