Ulster, Away, March 6th, 7.35pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

D4surfer
Mullet

Re: Ulster, Away, March 6th, 7.35pm

Post by D4surfer »

Jonny tight lips wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 4:08 pm I just checked out the Ulster boards site. They use the same set up as this only it’s a lighter blue... it’s almost spooky like you got transferred to an alternate reality
FFS first they poach our players, now they're poaching our forum posters.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

limecat wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 4:22 pm
Jonny tight lips wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 4:08 pm I just checked out the Ulster boards site. They use the same set up as this only it’s a lighter blue... it’s almost spooky like you got transferred to an alternate reality
If it spooks you out too much, you could always switch to our dark theme - viewtopic.php?p=768037#p768037
Oh God no, that hurt my old eyes!

I like the Light blue look of the 'prosilver' though. I'll shall now use that for weeks of European matches :D
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 4:35 pm
If it spooks you out too much, you could always switch to our dark theme - viewtopic.php?p=768037#p768037
Oh God no, that hurt my old eyes!

I like the Light blue look of the 'prosilver' though. I'll shall now use that for weeks of European matches :D
Is there a unicorn jizz version or a version where all the lines inexplicably don't meet in the middle?
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

D4surfer wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 4:25 pm
FFS first they poach our players, now they're poaching our forum posters.
They even have their own D4surfer giving out betting odds
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

wixfjord wrote: March 1st, 2021, 12:24 pm No Burns for Ulster then I assume?
That's a negative for us......Burns is pants
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 2:00 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 1:52 pm yeah can't see us winning tbh
Oh I could see us winning alright .......cause we have an amazing squad of players, but I don't think it's the most likely outcome and I certainly wouldn't make us favourites.

If we can stop the 5-0 I'll be happy. Anything better and I'll be delirah! :D
I think we will win.....Ruddock, VDF, Luke are in such good form they will be the three best players on the pitch. Our midfield is the main area of concern especially with the Ulster lumps there.

I can see why we are favourites.....
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Blueberry wrote: March 4th, 2021, 12:14 am
LeinsterLeader wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 2:00 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 1:52 pm yeah can't see us winning tbh
Oh I could see us winning alright .......cause we have an amazing squad of players, but I don't think it's the most likely outcome and I certainly wouldn't make us favourites.

If we can stop the 5-0 I'll be happy. Anything better and I'll be delirah! :D
I think we will win.....Ruddock, VDF, Luke are in such good form they will be the three best players on the pitch. Our midfield is the main area of concern especially with the Ulster lumps there.

I can see why we are favourites.....
I like your optimism BB. We don't get a lot of it round these parts so keep it coming :D
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

It will be interesting to see how Ulster approach this game.
Taking it as a given that they require the 5 points and preventing us from a LBP, Then should they go for the corner early or take the 3 points.

They also know that if we go down big early we will not roll over and let them score tries at will.

We have so many more options in the final result. A win is the optimum result obviously but we should be able to manage a possible defeat with the objective of a 4-1 split at worst.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Surely they should change their theme
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Based on nothing more than gut instinct and aware of Leocaster's outlook to ALWAYS pick his team to win, but conscious that Farrell may have offered a few suggestions as to who he would like to have game time, I think we might select:

1. Ed Byrne;
2. James Treacy;
3. Ml Bent;
4. Ross Molony;
5. Dev;
6. Josh Murphy;
7. JVdF;
8. Rhys;
9. Luke McG;
10. Ross Byrne;
11. Dave Kearney;
12. Hawkshaw / Frawley (fitness test);
13. RO'L;
14. Cian Kelleher;
15. Jimmy O'Brien.

Bench
16. Sean Cronin;
17. Peter Dooley;
18. Tom Clarkson;
19. Fardy
20. Penny
21. Osborne / O'Sullivan;
22. 23. Hawkshaw / Frawley / J Osborne / Max O'Reilly

If we could field this Squad, I think we would be justified as favourites.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Leaving Penny out of 15? Oof! :shock:
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Morf wrote: March 4th, 2021, 7:06 pm Leaving Penny out of 15? Oof! :shock:
If he doesn't start here we may as well just drive him down to Munster who are on the lookout for a 7. He should be one of the first names on the team sheet after recent weeks.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Penny at 8, VDF at 7 and Ruddock at 6?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The choice is between VDF and Penny unless you want to unduly unbalance your backrow.

Murphy is a pure blindside and Rhys is a solid 8.

Don't think it's mad to say VDF could/should start ahead of Scott in that case.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Penny had a blinder at 8 - would have no issue with Ruddock, Penny and VDF all starting.

They would eat Ulster alive.....
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Blueberry wrote: March 4th, 2021, 9:25 pm Penny had a blinder at 8 - would have no issue with Ruddock, Penny and VDF all starting.

He did, but that doesn't mean he should start at 8 against Ulster, particularly with Coetzee. He's a makeshift, Ruddock is far more comfortable there.

I'm not saying i'd have an issue with it, but equally it's fair enough to suggest we go with Murphy, VDF and Rhys.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

wixfjord wrote: March 4th, 2021, 9:30 pm
Blueberry wrote: March 4th, 2021, 9:25 pm Penny had a blinder at 8 - would have no issue with Ruddock, Penny and VDF all starting.

He did, but that doesn't mean he should start at 8 against Ulster, particularly with Coetzee. He's a makeshift, Ruddock is far more comfortable there.

I'm not saying i'd have an issue with it, but equally it's fair enough to suggest we go with Murphy, VDF and Rhys.
Think Penny is the form backrow, he’s earned a start ahead of VDF or Rhys who other than this year hasn’t played a whole lot of 8 when you look at it. If he played like he has recently and gets dropped it’s a bit nuts. Need to reward form
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Jonny tight lips wrote: March 4th, 2021, 9:58 pm
wixfjord wrote: March 4th, 2021, 9:30 pm

Think Penny is the form backrow, he’s earned a start ahead of VDF or Rhys who other than this year hasn’t played a whole lot of 8 when you look at it. If he played like he has recently and gets dropped it’s a bit nuts. Need to reward form
I agree with you here - I understand about backrow balance but sometimes getting your best 3 on the pitch is just more important.

Look either way it's fine but leaving Penny out after his last performance is a toughie. I thought he was exceptional.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

That depends who you think your best three are for the game. Horses for courses - penny is actually the only natural ball carrier of the 4 being discussed. Dont get me wrong Rhys never shys from taking the ball but it’s not his forte, he does his damage off the ball. JVF is trying to improve on this area and Murphy uses his strength to get over the line, but all three are not close to penny’s amazing ability to get distance on his carries - his size helps. To have our best and most balanced back row having josh 7 penny 8 and Rhys 6 would be the best, plus we then have Murphy on the bench to cover the whole back 5 in the pack
Jcahill1
Bookworm

Post by Jcahill1 »

Theleinsterlad wrote: March 4th, 2021, 10:45 pm That depends who you think your best three are for the game. Horses for courses - penny is actually the only natural ball carrier of the 4 being discussed. Dont get me wrong Rhys never shys from taking the ball but it’s not his forte, he does his damage off the ball. JVF is trying to improve on this area and Murphy uses his strength to get over the line, but all three are not close to penny’s amazing ability to get distance on his carries - his size helps. To have our best and most balanced back row having josh 7 penny 8 and Rhys 6 would be the best, plus we then have Murphy on the bench to cover the whole back 5 in the pack
I'd say carrying is a big strength of Ruddocks at his best. Just because he uses his bulk rather than explosive twitch muscles doesn't make it less effective!