Moderator: moderators

Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Pro 16

Post by Keith »

IanD wrote: February 21st, 2021, 8:07 pm
Keith wrote: February 21st, 2021, 6:00 pm
IanD wrote: February 21st, 2021, 5:51 pm

Brussels has a Red Light district too. And 24 hour drinking.

And best of all...... Belgian Waffles.
Really? :shock:
My Sister lived in Brussels for two summers when in college. I stayed on her floor for cheap holidays. She worked in an Irish Pub called the Wild Geese. That closed at 3am. From there we went to a pub called Herman's which opened at midnight and closed at 8am. It was in the basement of a pub called La Fontaine which opened at 7am. These three pubs were about 350 yards from each other. The Wild Geese would open for lunch but in fairness I never saw it.

Best part was you passed a bakery on the way and sitting on the kerb at 6am eating fresh bread and Pain de Chocolate after a night on the lash is amazing.
That sounds magnificent. Our pubs close way too early (although that's probably saved many of us).
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

blockhead wrote: February 20th, 2021, 10:14 pm An Argentinian side based is Bilbao? Could that work?
Someone else would have to be jettisoned I would assume, maybe the 2 Italian clubs merged into 1.
Can't see happening tbh.
Bilbao is a bit of a pain in the hole to get to with flights though.
Ryanair were running seasonal flights to Vittoria (45~ mins to Bilbao) and Aer Lingus were running pretty expensive seasonal flights direct March to October.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

blockhead wrote: February 21st, 2021, 12:23 am
IanD wrote: February 20th, 2021, 11:29 pm

I would love to see a Mongrel type team of Irish Italian Scottish and Welsh setup in Brussels. That would make 18.

Brussels has NATO and the EU so lots of expats living there. Plus what a destination for an Away Rugby Weekend.
Brilliant destination. Tell the bird that you're goin to Brussels for the Leinster game. Then when you get there, hop on a train and head straight to Amsterdam for you know what.

I was actually referring to the many Museum's in Amsterdam Ian.
But whatever you into my good man, who am I to judge.
Do you wave that big flag of your's about after you've scored?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Morf wrote: February 21st, 2021, 9:10 pm
blockhead wrote: February 20th, 2021, 10:14 pm An Argentinian side based is Bilbao? Could that work?
Someone else would have to be jettisoned I would assume, maybe the 2 Italian clubs merged into 1.
Can't see happening tbh.
Bilbao is a bit of a pain in the hole to get to with flights though.
Ryanair were running seasonal flights to Vittoria (45~ mins to Bilbao) and Aer Lingus were running pretty expensive seasonal flights direct March to October.
That’s a few years out of date. Aer Lingus now flies to Bilbao all year and Ryanair flies to Santander about an hour away. There’s also a Ferry there from Wexford. Not all that hard to get to...
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

True it is out of date.

Any assumptions that services will return to what you stated above could be quite premature too.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

IanD wrote: February 21st, 2021, 8:07 pm
Keith wrote: February 21st, 2021, 6:00 pm

Really? :shock:
My Sister lived in Brussels for two summers when in college. I stayed on her floor for cheap holidays. She worked in an Irish Pub called the Wild Geese. That closed at 3am. From there we went to a pub called Herman's which opened at midnight and closed at 8am. It was in the basement of a pub called La Fontaine which opened at 7am. These three pubs were about 350 yards from each other. The Wild Geese would open for lunch but in fairness I never saw it.

Best part was you passed a bakery on the way and sitting on the kerb at 6am eating fresh bread and Pain de Chocolate after a night on the lash is amazing.
Lived in Belgium for year, would take Antwerp over Brussels all day. Given the incredible array of amazing beers and bars the last place I'd want to be is an Irish pub with over priced average Guinness!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Can't see happening tbh.
You'd have to look at the Welsh teams. Tiny domestic market, badly supported, only the Scarlets have been competitive in the last decade. You also have the feeling that they'd much rather be with the English but the reality is that the English don't want them. They are the DUP of rugby.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Flash Gordon wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 12:18 pm
Can't see happening tbh.
You'd have to look at the Welsh teams. Tiny domestic market, badly supported, only the Scarlets have been competitive in the last decade. You also have the feeling that they'd much rather be with the English but the reality is that the English don't want them. They are the DUP of rugby.
Only if you forget that the reason for the Celtic League was to support professional rugby as a native professional entity in 3 or 4 of the 6N rather than having an exiled structure like soccer does.

As long as the teams continue to provide and nurture players for the international game then they can tolerate running at a loss, if necessary.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Tournai is a nice place to visit.
Has some nice restaurants and wait for it.
It's own Irish pub in a square full of pubs.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Anybody know if there’s a plan to play more Pro12 games if this rainbow cup dosent go ahead? I’d love to see us combine the conferences and play out the remaining games then have a final but other options could be play the inter pros and do a semi/ final set up. Anybody any thoughts?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

them seem intent on playing the rainbow cup.. somehow
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Rumour that 4 team base is being established in Jersey for 4/6 week period. Is that for SA Provinces?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Ruckedtobits wrote: February 26th, 2021, 2:01 pm Rumour that 4 team base is being established in Jersey for 4/6 week period. Is that for SA Provinces?
bonkers. :lol:
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 26th, 2021, 2:03 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: February 26th, 2021, 2:01 pm Rumour that 4 team base is being established in Jersey for 4/6 week period. Is that for SA Provinces?
bonkers. :lol:
Low community levels of Covid I assume
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you