Pro 16

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Pro 16

Post by fourthirtythree »

It's happening! Not sure about the format yet but the big teams joining has to be good for us. Hope the youth still get the opportunities though.

https://www.the42.ie/south-african-pro1 ... 6-Dec2020/
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Pro 16

Post by blockhead »

fourthirtythree wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 12:56 pm It's happening! Not sure about the format yet but the big teams joining has to be good for us. Hope the youth still get the opportunities though.

https://www.the42.ie/south-african-pro1 ... 6-Dec2020/
We'll still have the 6Ns and AIs so youth will get a chance for sure.
Very Exciting Indeed!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Can't wait!!!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Brilliant news. This will bring a real quality to our joke of a league.

Hopefully this results in some real upsets, and the possibility of fans getting to see clubs regularly fielding full strength teams.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Absolutely delighted to hear this, and the powers that be must be commended. Whats not to like. Will look forward to welcoming the wonderful South African people here for some quality Rugby! I know some South Africans were calling hard for a promotion/relegation theme, wonder if this might be a thing in the future?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Where do Italian, Scots, Irish and Welsh teams get "relegated" to? And who replaces them?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Personally I've never been sold on adding SA teams, but this at least is a bit of positive new news and excitement that the league really, really needs.

Interesting to see how big the Pro16 press release has gone on the 'international stars' angle. They're clearly expecting teams to play their big guns in this 'rainbow' cup.

Something to look forward to!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Personally I've no interest in relegation. There isn't a second tier capable of supporting it nor of nurturing teams for promotion. Just not a thing.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/pro14/gu ... uper-teams

The current season ends in with only the winners of each conference in a final on 27th. No semifinal so we need to win our conference.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Who's got the TV rights?
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

D4surfer wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 3:08 pm https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/pro14/gu ... uper-teams

The current season ends in with only the winners of each conference in a final on 27th. No semifinal so we need to win our conference.
This makes the upcoming Ulster game pretty important...
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

wixfjord wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 3:16 pm
D4surfer wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 3:08 pm https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/pro14/gu ... uper-teams

If there are only 16 rounds, then who do we play to the end of the season. Our next games are Munster (A), Connacht (H) and Ulster (H). We have the postponed game against Scarlets so that leaves 5 to play. If we just complete our conference fixtures that means at home to Glasgow and Ospreys and away to Dragons, Zebre and Ulster.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

D4surfer wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 3:48 pm

If there are only 16 rounds, then who do we play to the end of the season. Our next games are Munster (A), Connacht (H) and Ulster (H). We have the postponed game against Scarlets so that leaves 5 to play. If we just complete our conference fixtures that means at home to Glasgow and Ospreys and away to Dragons, Zebre and Ulster.
EDIT:

The 2020/21 Guinness PRO14 campaign will finish after 16 rounds with the Conference winners facing each other in a final in late March
Qualification for EPCR tournaments in 2021/22 will be decided by rankings after Round 16

Rounds 12 to 16 will take place from February 20 and conclude on March 20. A final will then take place at the home venue of the highest-ranked team. This abbreviated fixture list will aim to ensure home and away in-conference fixtures are completed and each team plays all of its cross-conference matches also. Further clarification will be available when fixtures are confirmed.

So basically they're going to try cram all games in? Is that what I'm reading there?
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

wixfjord wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 3:51 pm
D4surfer wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 3:48 pm

EDIT:

The 2020/21 Guinness PRO14 campaign will finish after 16 rounds with the Conference winners facing each other in a final in late March
Qualification for EPCR tournaments in 2021/22 will be decided by rankings after Round 16

Rounds 12 to 16 will take place from February 20 and conclude on March 20. A final will then take place at the home venue of the highest-ranked team. This abbreviated fixture list will aim to ensure home and away in-conference fixtures are completed and each team plays all of its cross-conference matches also. Further clarification will be available when fixtures are confirmed.

So basically they're going to try cram all games in? Is that what I'm reading there?
We finish our own conference and the only non-Irish team in the other conference to play is Scarlets. We don't play Munster at home or Connacht away.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Along with the latest news increasing the importance of the Ulster match, it also means the upcoming Tussle in Thomond could be a preview of the final..... COYBIB!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

So what’s the back up plan for this now over the next couple of months?

And who is responsible for the stupidity of arranging the Rainbow Cup for April?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: January 9th, 2021, 12:53 pm So what’s the back up plan for this now over the next couple of months?

And who is responsible for the stupidity of arranging the Rainbow Cup for April?
I presume Martin Anayi as Pro14 CEO holds the ultimate responsibility – he is tasked with executing the instructions of the board. Doubtless he came under significant pressure from the SARU, and I would imagine that the commercial relationships that they brought to the table was the biggest factor in getting the reps from the other nations [IRFU, SRU etc.] to row in.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

It's a disaster and shouldn't go ahead.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote: January 9th, 2021, 1:25 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: January 9th, 2021, 12:53 pm So what’s the back up plan for this now over the next couple of months?

I presume Martin Anayi as Pro14 CEO holds the ultimate responsibility – he is tasked with executing the instructions of the board. Doubtless he came under significant pressure from the SARU, and I would imagine that the commercial relationships that they brought to the table was the biggest factor in getting the reps from the other nations [IRFU, SRU etc.] to row in.
If there isn't a plan B in place that everyone was aware of then everyone involved should resign. It's a difficult situation and the facts keep changing but anyone who thought that this would be a goer as early as April is not capable of running this league, and the idea that they've f%~ked up the current league season to make it happen is beyond belief. Maybe they could bring in someone more competent...John Delaney?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: January 9th, 2021, 4:15 pm
hugonaut wrote: January 9th, 2021, 1:25 pm

If there isn't a plan B in place that everyone was aware of then everyone involved should resign. It's a difficult situation and the facts keep changing but anyone who thought that this would be a goer as early as April is not capable of running this league, and the idea that they've f%~ked up the current league season to make it happen is beyond belief. Maybe they could bring in someone more competent...John Delaney?
I think 'Plan B' would be to return to the full-format Pro12, i.e. a regular season played out between the 12 teams from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Italy.

The biggest shock to the competition was announcing mid-season that they were completely changing the procedures, schedule, and format of the competition and launching a new competition that will likely only last one edition, to launch within a week of the league final. That was absolutely f*cking bonkers yet seemed to go down without so much as a hiccup. Returning to the previous status quo wouldn't even make the papers!
Last edited by hugonaut on January 9th, 2021, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.