Munster Away 26/12 19:35 Eir Sport 1

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: Munster Away 26/12 19:35 Eir Sport 1

Post by Avenger »

blockhead wrote: January 25th, 2021, 9:57 am The head hit on Keenan was blatantly obvious for anyone who dosen't want to ignore it.
Neville needs to be taken to task for that.
She has form for ignoring foul play on Leinster players.
Her star seems to be on the rise but IMO she's a terrible official. Out of all the poor Irish refs, she's the one I hate seeing involved in our games.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Usual ‘balanced’ match report from Thornley - pointing out everything the ref team got wrong against munster , and nothing about incorrect / missed decisions against Leinster ... he really doesn’t try and hide his bias anymore .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irisht ... mode%3Damp
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Laighin Break wrote: January 25th, 2021, 8:17 am
Dave Cahill wrote: January 24th, 2021, 11:02 pm Some Leinster supporters complain about Liam Toland, saying he favours the team he used to play for, Munster
Some Munster supporters complain about Liam Toland, saying he favours the team he used to captain, Leinster
Had a couple of Munster lads around to watch the match on Saturday and I was shocked when one of them (before the game) said that Toland is biased towards Leinster :lol:
We all gave out about him throughout the game anyway
Toland , in his annoyingly favourite expression is ‘outrageous’ :D :D :D
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Well, I am absolutely gutted by that loss.

I won’t go into too much detail on my feelings on the game as I don’t think that they would be welcome.

For me that was Munster’s best chance of a win since 2018.
They unfortunately didn’t take their opportunities which cost them big time.
The first missed kick was a 6 point swing, and to miss the next kick made it a 9 point swing.

That is a big difference, and would have put Munster in a great position.
To lose based on this and a missed crooked throw into the lineout is hard to digest.

Saying all of that, this is sport, and we can’t work in what ifs. Every game is swung based on items like these, it’s just hard when you are on the receiving end.

There were however many positives from a Munster point of view, again I won’t go into too much detail for obvious reasons, but to get that close to a team like Leinster, and to be the first team this season to prevent them from scoring 4 tries cannot be overlooked.

Munster are not yet there, but they are on the right path.
Will this result in silverware this season? Probably not, but next season could be a big one.

Congratulations on the win.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Toland is massively annoying as co-commentator, particularly that rhetorical tic he has of framing nearly everything as a question. Is it just me or does anyone else find themself involuntarily and repeatedly answering "No, ffs!" - either out loud or in one's mind to his musings?
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

alanair wrote: January 25th, 2021, 10:33 am Usual ‘balanced’ match report from Thornley - pointing out everything the ref team got wrong against munster , and nothing about incorrect / missed decisions against Leinster ... he really doesn’t try and hide his bias anymore .

Thanks for posting that, absolute muck report from Thornley. Totally Munster dimensional. I think the problem here is that with all the guff during the week the Munster pundits had convinced themselves Munster were going to win and their disgust can't be contained. Shines through here.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

A strange feeling came over me when we took the lead with 11 minutes to go. I never thought we'd lose from that point. There was always a chance Munster would get a penalty and level it but I just couldn't see them getting a try from that point. That it not something I never feel normally when we play Munster. I thought without the ball Munster were awesome but when they had it they looked like they didn't want it.

Maybe JVG is playing the long game (i.e. get the defence right and the rest will follow). Times a' wastin' though!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 25th, 2021, 9:53 am Toland doesn't work for me as a co-comm because he lacks brevity - I like him as a studio pundit/analyst, but as a co-comm he's just too prolix.
So you're saying that mostly he talks a load of prolix? Or.... close enough.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

alanair wrote: January 25th, 2021, 10:33 am Usual ‘balanced’ match report from Thornley - pointing out everything the ref team got wrong against munster , and nothing about incorrect / missed decisions against Leinster ... he really doesn’t try and hide his bias anymore .

The Porter penalty was strange, he was no more offside than most of the rucks and had no influence on the play. Murray was 3 yards offside and tagged McGraths arm straight in front of the AR, like 2 yards away, and it was ignored.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

the spoofer wrote: January 25th, 2021, 11:20 am

The Porter penalty was strange, he was no more offside than most of the rucks and had no influence on the play. Murray was 3 yards offside and tagged McGraths arm straight in front of the AR, like 2 yards away, and it was ignored.
Think that was Ringrose, and yes was very blatant.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

munster#1 wrote: January 25th, 2021, 10:49 am Well, I am absolutely gutted by that loss.

I won’t go into too much detail on my feelings on the game as I don’t think that they would be welcome.

The first missed kick was a 6 point swing, and to miss the next kick made it a 9 point swing.

To lose based on this and a missed crooked throw into the lineout is hard to digest.

Saying all of that, this is sport, and we can’t work in what ifs. Every game is swung based on items like these, it’s just hard when you are on the receiving end.

There were however many positives from a Munster point of view, again I won’t go into too much detail for obvious reasons, but to get that close to a team like Leinster, and to be the first team this season to prevent them from scoring 4 tries cannot be overlooked.

Will this result in silverware this season? Probably not, but next season could be a big one.

Trying to be constructive I think Munster are improving this year but it is largely down to a couple of players being in good form. Murray is heading back to his best, DDA is giving you some go forward and obvious how well Beirne is playing. Problem is I don't think as a team there is much evolution, look at what you did v Leinster....everything good came from dropped box kicks. If Larmour had held a few more you arguably wouldn't have scored anything and Leinster could easily with a touch more ambition got over for a couple more tries without the Beirne line steals and won by 15 or more. Not much went Leinsters way and they still snuck home. Considering the mess of many decisions over focusing on one lineout call is clutching at straws.

The biggest single thing I see as a difference though in coaching and mindset is a very simple thing. Leinster players try and see and are coached to look for space and step all the time, Munster forwards and to a lesser extent backs seem to relish contact and try to overpower in the carry. Just watch Stander....or Farrell or Kilcoyne. It is a different mindset and coaching. This needs to evolve and barring bringing in more and more lumps you have reached a ceiling which is hard to go past without a shift in mindset. If you watch the game back Leinster made serious yards with carries where players are constantly stepping, moving into space and looking to offload. Munster made some progress with kicking the ball and Larmour missing catches but very very little progress going forward with ball in hand. Leinster did not play well yet were comfortable everywhere bar the scoreboard and fielding high balls.
lotmc
Learner

Post by lotmc »

For me that was a cracker of a game - went through all of the emotions watching it. Great to get the win, and also to learn a lot about where we need to improve.
Lots of one-eyed retrospective refeering going on, with Thornley being forensic and biased in equal measure. On balance I thought the officials tried to keep the game flowing and they probably let more go than they should, but sterner officiating would have produced a different game; same winner.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Shame to have to block anyone, particularly as it’s nice to be confronted with alternative views, but a Munster fan coming on here to claim “we wuz robbed” by a decision, after a pretty shambolically anti-Leinster bias from those Munster branch officials, is the final straw.

I didn’t even want to mention the embarrassingly biased refereeing until I saw that.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Blueberry wrote: January 25th, 2021, 11:29 am

Trying to be constructive I think Munster are improving this year but it is largely down to a couple of players being in good form. Murray is heading back to his best, DDA is giving you some go forward and obvious how well Beirne is playing. Problem is I don't think as a team there is much evolution, look at what you did v Leinster....everything good came from dropped box kicks. If Larmour had held a few more you arguably wouldn't have scored anything and Leinster could easily with a touch more ambition got over for a couple more tries without the Beirne line steals and won by 15 or more. Not much went Leinsters way and they still snuck home. Considering the mess of many decisions over focusing on one lineout call is clutching at straws.

The biggest single thing I see as a difference though in coaching and mindset is a very simple thing. Leinster players try and see and are coached to look for space and step all the time, Munster forwards and to a lesser extent backs seem to relish contact and try to overpower in the carry. Just watch Stander....or Farrell or Kilcoyne. It is a different mindset and coaching. This needs to evolve and barring bringing in more and more lumps you have reached a ceiling which is hard to go past without a shift in mindset. If you watch the game back Leinster made serious yards with carries where players are constantly stepping, moving into space and looking to offload. Munster made some progress with kicking the ball and Larmour missing catches but very very little progress going forward with ball in hand. Leinster did not play well yet were comfortable everywhere bar the scoreboard and fielding high balls.
Munster do appear to have improved and they play like a well coached side. Beirne’s performance at the breakdown covered up for some of the lack of a natural open side, but only some.

Their back 3 played well but with the 2 centres they have they really need a distributor at fullback, at least against the better sides. They have the best one of those in the country but there’s no chance they’ll use him there when he’s back.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

munster#1 wrote: January 25th, 2021, 10:49 am Well, I am absolutely gutted by that loss.

:D :D :D

Every 50/50 decision went Munster's way.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

If Saracens didn’t take their chances against us and we took all our chances against Saracens we would have beaten Saracens. Word!
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

ronk wrote: January 25th, 2021, 12:53 pm

Munster do appear to have improved and they play like a well coached side. Beirne’s performance at the breakdown covered up for some of the lack of a natural open side, but only some.

Their back 3 played well but with the 2 centres they have they really need a distributor at fullback, at least against the better sides. They have the best one of those in the country but there’s no chance they’ll use him there when he’s back.
I thought Munster were poor enough. Our errors gave them all their entries into the game. Most of the knock ons from kicks should have been simple enough takes. They created very little, the passing phase where POM got the ball out wide was one of the few times they moved the ball.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

curates_egg wrote: January 25th, 2021, 12:51 pm Shame to have to block anyone, particularly as it’s nice to be confronted with alternative views, but a Munster fan coming on here to claim “we wuz robbed” by a decision, after a pretty shambolically anti-Leinster bias from those Munster branch officials, is the final straw.

I didn’t even want to mention the embarrassingly biased refereeing until I saw that.
But curates_egg, “we wuz robbed” is the go to explanation after every defeat .
#stopthesteal
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

I dunno, to be perfectly honest I don't they posed much of an attacking threat. Every time we play them they front up physically alright but we often seem comfortable defending against them. Given the season that's in it and the strength of the Munster team I thought they might beat us but they didn't really ask a lot of questions.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Flash Gordon wrote: January 25th, 2021, 1:36 pm

I dunno, to be perfectly honest I don't they posed much of an attacking threat. Every time we play them they front up physically alright but we often seem comfortable defending against them. Given the season that's in it and the strength of the Munster team I thought they might beat us but they didn't really ask a lot of questions.
Edited: Congratulations on the win and best of luck with the remainder of the season.
Last edited by munster#1 on January 25th, 2021, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.