Munster Away 26/12 19:35 Eir Sport 1

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Munster Away 26/12 19:35 Eir Sport 1

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

fourthirtythree wrote: January 24th, 2021, 12:21 pm I only watched it this morning, on TG4, and I clearly watched a different match to most here as the better team won, albeit making heavy work of it.

James Ryan back to his dominant self: pinching opposition lineouts, locking the winning scrum, and bullying Munster forwards in contact all day. That another lock, let alone the loser, got man of the match tells you more about the skew in the coverage than it does a out his performance.

With Cronin, Marshall, Ryan, and Kleyn on this was Munster's scrum team and I was a bit worried before the match. Leinster bested them comprehensively.

The only facet of the game they beat Leinster at was pressing the player in the air, not the ball, they never competed for it. We should have targeted the anonymous Earls. The centres are a well oiled machine and two big lads was never going to be the winning of that game. They looked, as Shane Horgan described one English back, like the kind of backs a forward would select.

Not a great game all round, but a win away is a win.
watched it again today.
I think you are correct. Munster were very blunt in attack. box kicking in the first few minutes, spilled by us, gave them the space to go 10-0 up.
And that was it. They tried to go through our forwards but were constantly pushed back...usually with double hits. the only time I think they were in our 22 in the second half was via a kick to touch.
Henshaw and ringrose were brilliant and could have been up for MOTM. nullified their centres.....their 12 and 13 are way too similar and didn't really get their bish bash bosh thing going against henshaw & ringers.
If we had of being a little more clinical with our two try line drives that were turned over, we would have comfortably won. As it turns out we made "heavy work of it" as you put it.
to come back from 10-0 down after the first 20 minutes away from home against munsters best selection, ending up with a scrum half on the wing (JGP) and not letting them score for 60 minutes speaks volumes for our lads. A class try to win the game. Not so sure if we really pinched that...munster had a lot of possession but did nothing with it and rarely looked threatening, other than via a box kick in the hope of our back three spilling it.

As an aside...the reaction of the premiersports commentators Toland and Morris after the Larmour try was priceless....both were utterly gutted and couldn't disguise it.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

wixfjord wrote: January 24th, 2021, 8:13 pm
Laighin Break wrote: January 24th, 2021, 7:54 pm In the perennial battle for who should be the starting openside, the stats have Connors down for 8/3 tackles made/missed in 60 minutes compared to VDF with 7/0 in 20.
And Connors down for 10 carries / 14 yards with VDF down for 1 carry / 2 yards.

Not sure what either of those stat breakdowns tell us!

Could be that both played very different roles, or that the game was different for the periods they were on.

I thought both played well. Connors had a few textbook big hits and carried well, JVDF had a lovely play for the try and led our line well.
Yeah could have been different roles alright, just surprised at Connors' low tackle count and high missed tackle percentage when he's particularly known for his tackling.
For comparison Rhys had twice as many attempted tackles (19/2) in 68 minutes.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Good post there from MylesNaGapoleen......

In particular your reference to Toland who I think had a wretch on air and puked when Larmour scored, he had already picked out Screamer (aka Tadhg Beirne) for his MOM and had his Munster passion pride and glory, spirit of 2006, tremejedjous, miracle match, only the faithful and the brave......yadda yadda yadda find a way to win, murray is the best player ever, munster r back, passsssssssion........post match speech ready to rock.

And then they lost again. Oh dear Liam.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Laighin Break wrote: January 24th, 2021, 9:42 pm
wixfjord wrote: January 24th, 2021, 8:13 pm
Laighin Break wrote: January 24th, 2021, 7:54 pm In the perennial battle for who should be the starting openside, the stats have Connors down for 8/3 tackles made/missed in 60 minutes compared to VDF with 7/0 in 20.
And Connors down for 10 carries / 14 yards with VDF down for 1 carry / 2 yards.

Not sure what either of those stat breakdowns tell us!

Could be that both played very different roles, or that the game was different for the periods they were on.

I thought both played well. Connors had a few textbook big hits and carried well, JVDF had a lovely play for the try and led our line well.
Yeah could have been different roles alright, just surprised at Connors' low tackle count and high missed tackle percentage when he's particularly known for his tackling.
For comparison Rhys had twice as many attempted tackles (19/2) in 68 minutes.
For me Connors nullified De Allande and Farrell, no mean feat, VDF was a game changer when he came on - he was everywhere. Two very different players and it has to be said the tactic worked really well.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Some Leinster supporters complain about Liam Toland, saying he favours the team he used to play for, Munster
Some Munster supporters complain about Liam Toland, saying he favours the team he used to captain, Leinster
I have Bumbleflex
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Endlessly entertainment is Liam !! Just added a fuisance of extra fun and enjoyment to the game last night !!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 24th, 2021, 11:02 pm Some Leinster supporters complain about Liam Toland, saying he favours the team he used to play for, Munster-Fact
Some Munster supporters complain about Liam Toland, saying he favours the team he used to captain, Leinster-Fake News
If you follow the match tread on Twitter, Toland is everything to all men.
But I do hope Joy Neville told her parents about being 4 months up the duff before Liam did.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

blockhead wrote: January 24th, 2021, 12:08 am One of the panelists on RTE Radio post-match made no bones about the fact that he was absolutley gutted by the result.
In his opinion, Munster man for man have a better squad than Leinster.
I thought that that was an interesting comment.
Deluded
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Scrum was a bit of a mess with parity overall. Lineout similar; I think Ryan is a great defensive jumper and we need to get him in the air more often.
Munster won the kicking game; more accurate kicks, better chase and they fielded our kicks more effectively.
Munster slightly better on the deck, for me Connors lacks a presence at the ruck and Van der Flyer is a much better player.
Leinster backline much sharper, more ambitious and ultimately that ambition was rewarded.
Overall, the better team, the side that tried to play some rugby, won.
Need to fix Larmour’s fielding as he looked great with ball in hand.
One other point, pick and go around the fringe of the ruck has been an area of rich returns for us in the opposition red zone but would we be better off looking to go out wide? Twice we conceded penalties right on their line. I wonder if we might have tried to spread it if Lowe was playing?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: January 24th, 2021, 6:43 am Very happy with that win. I always enjoy watching Leinster beat Munster, it's something that never gets old for me.

Obviously it was just a regular season game, but there was quite a bit of hype around it. Munster are better than they have been in a good few years and had a lot of momentum going into that match. You could see where journalists were coming from with regards to the 'final trial' angle: the proximity of the Six Nations, no national squad announced, two strong teams selected, and a dearth of European rugby from which to judge the performance level of individual players.
And what did we learn for that?

Beirne has a good game but doesn’t bother Ryan or Henderson. Cronin is form hooker but won’t be recalled anyway. I’d be surprised if Ruddock makes the 23. VDF or POM at 7?

All we saw is positive game time for returning incumbents, and a mixed bag from Larmour.

We should expect Keenan and Stockdale to play, then it’s down to Larmour vs Earls when really it’s Kearney as the form player.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 24th, 2021, 11:02 pm Some Leinster supporters complain about Liam Toland, saying he favours the team he used to play for, Munster
Some Munster supporters complain about Liam Toland, saying he favours the team he used to captain, Leinster
Had a couple of Munster lads around to watch the match on Saturday and I was shocked when one of them (before the game) said that Toland is biased towards Leinster :lol:
We all gave out about him throughout the game anyway
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

ronk wrote: January 24th, 2021, 4:03 pm Back 3 struggled in kick defence
Don't agree with that statement at all. I thought Keenan was excellent, as was McGrath, when he was in back field. JOB didn't have much fielding to do but it was clear he was unsure of his role on the wing.
You could have played the Benny Hill tune when a kick was sent anywhere near Larmour though. Murray kicked well, but it wasn't solely down to that.

Haley, a guy I have always thought was just injury prone and average, was very solid I thought. I think Keenan would give Ireland a bit more going forward, but Haley's influence was so reassuring from a Munster perspective. He got away two or three excellent positional kicks, indirectly into touch in our 22. The Munster faithful salivate over kicking the ball out of play on the bounce in the same way we do about an intricate back move that cuts open a defence. In those conditions, and with the previous form of our lineout, they were great plays though.

That said, Farrell appears to have dug himself right into a bunker with Stockdale at 15, so probably neither Keenan nor Haley will make the 23.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

If Farrell starts Stockdale at FB over Keenan he needs to be purchased a one way ticket on any airline still flying. Keenan is a natural FB, Stockdale isn't.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Blueberry wrote: January 25th, 2021, 9:10 am If Farrell starts Stockdale at FB over Keenan he needs to be purchased a one way ticket on any airline still flying. Keenan is a natural FB, Stockdale isn't.
I totally agree. I've also always thought Keenan was such a natural 15.
That said, at u20 Ireland, Stockdale was 15 and Keenan wing; and I think at Blackrock, Carbery was 15 and Keenan was wing.
But, as we also saw with Schmidt, sometimes coaches get a bee in their bonnets, and ignore evidence to the contrary.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

alanair wrote: January 24th, 2021, 11:57 am
wixfjord wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 10:02 pm Pretty clear that the lineout for our try was crooked imo.

But Marshall got away with another in the first half.

Also not sure how Brace didn't give a pen for that late hit on Daly. No malice in it but clear contact with the face.

I thought the Cronin 'on arms' was fine personally, he made an attempt. Marshall could've been yellowed but he did slip too.
I disagree with the Cronin no arms one... he clearly went very low , shoulder first , with an afterthought of an attempted grasp... and the outcome was a dangerous tackle...
whether he meant it or not is irrelevant ... I think Brace’s call on that was wrong
Daly left the elbow in, it was a clear penalty and a yellow card at least.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

A munster branch ref and a munster branch TMO. enough said.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 24th, 2021, 11:02 pm Some Leinster supporters complain about Liam Toland, saying he favours the team he used to play for, Munster
I'd just prefer a Shane Jennings type of analyst, someone who actually adds to the viewing experience rather than detracts from it.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Fairly typical derby game, not much in it and one moment of magic from Jordan won it - which kind of made up for a pretty awful display in the air from him. James Ryan and Andrew Porter both made more than 20 tackles which is some shift.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

the spoofer wrote: January 25th, 2021, 9:44 am
I'd just prefer a Shane Jennings type of analyst, someone who actually adds to the viewing experience rather than detracts from it.
Toland doesn't work for me as a co-comm because he lacks brevity - I like him as a studio pundit/analyst, but as a co-comm he's just too prolix.
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 25th, 2021, 9:42 am A munster branch ref and a munster branch TMO. enough said.
That seems to be standard now.
If we play Munster, they bring their own officials.
The head hit on Keenan was blatantly obvious for anyone who dosen't want to ignore it.
Neville needs to be taken to task for that.
Brace gets the "nothing to see here" reply from the TMO so maybe his hands are tied but the blood on Keenan's face must have made him curious at least.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!