Away to Scarlets, 30/01, Saturday @ 7.35pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Jcahill1
Bookworm

Re: Away to Scarlets, 30/01, Saturday @ 7.35pm

Post by Jcahill1 »

Can't believe Conan made 79 metres? Feel like I need a rewatch because that's pretty incredible.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Lots of very positive reports on this match her and in the media, and looking at the score line alone one might think they’re merited. However, I’m a contrarian here, this was a poor performance against a terrible side. Leinster had total physical dominance and a vastly superior set piece which was well exploited. But, the Leinster attacking game was limited, unable to read and react to the opposition defense and poorly executed.
There were two options; 1) bully maul and bosh - this worked well but won’t cut it against the top sides in Europe 2) go wide fast with a flat backline - this was a disaster as we didn’t fix the opposition midfield and the rush defense was picking off our 3/4s man and ball every time. What’s really frustrating is the inability or unwillingness to read and react. Why didn’t we use a deeper alignment (Hawkshaw try the only time I saw it) or use the inside pass off 10 or 12 to look for gaps and keep the opposition defense honest? Harry had a decent 6/10 game, I like that he took responsibility rather than forcing the pass on a number of occasions but would like to have seen him preside over a varying of tactics.
Something that has frustrated me for years about Leinster and indeed Ireland is the inability of the back three to counter attack as a unit. Kelleher, O’Reilly and Kearney, along with McGrath who often defends the back field, all made errors in kick returns.
The Scarlets backline lived off scraps but scored three tries by attacking with depth, crisp passing, running onto the ball and exploiting poor defending.
I appreciate the 14 changes and international call ups (worth noting that Scarlets were down 11 internationals) but I think we need to keep aiming higher and developing our young players to compete against the best; for me, this wasn’t evident last night.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Why would you vary tactics when you're comprehensively beating a side using one particular tactic?!

Scarlets clearly wanted the game to open up and be fast and loose. That's the way they started. That would've been the totally wrong approach for us to allow it. We did that against Connacht.

The tactical approach last night was reminiscent of how we played in Montpellier and for some of last week's game too. It was spot on. We made use of our strengths and the pack took them apart. A lot of 'tiger' calls (forwards carrying hard off 9) and Luke controlling things well, then only going wide if we'd gotten plenty of momentum.

Scarlets scored one try from a beautiful line and some poor defending. The other two scores were scrappy tries from errors by us and forwards getting stood up by backs.
Leinster had total physical dominance and a vastly superior set piece which was well exploited.
That's all you need to say really. We scored 50 in Wales by killing them up front and taking our chances.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Have a look at Hawkshaws try again and admire how he accelerates off his step, he comes out of the change of direction faster than he went into it, a basic skill but well executed
I have Bumbleflex
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

curates_egg wrote: January 31st, 2021, 10:40 am Thought Frawley always looked class and confident, but one of his problems was overconfidence: trying passes and breaks that weren’t on.

Surprised not to see more people mention Dooley, who I thought was very good.

Lots to like but it is really a shocking competition this season. Beyond the interpros, we’ve got a 50 burger in almost every game.
Even Europe was the same though. That Montpellier side were one of the worst side we've faced this season (outside of the interpros), at least other teams have scored or looked like scoring tries against us.

Special mention for Jamie Osborne who is starting to put a sting of performances together. He was impressive for the As when everyone else was struggling and is already impressing at this level. Exciting talent.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Anyone have inside info on whether any of Tommy O'Brien, Jimmy O'Brien or Rory O'Loughlin are likely to be fit for the next game against the Dragons on Feb 19th?

Liam Turner went off with what looked like a arm/shoulder injury last night which means we now have 7 centres unavailable between injury and international committments.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I saw Frawley nursing his shoulder a few minutes before he was replaced too.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

cormac wrote: January 31st, 2021, 3:31 pm Anyone have inside info on whether any of Tommy O'Brien, Jimmy O'Brien or Rory O'Loughlin are likely to be fit for the next game against the Dragons on Feb 19th?

Liam Turner went off with what looked like a arm/shoulder injury last night which means we now have 7 centres unavailable between injury and international committments.
Jimmy O'B went from a serious hamstring injury to a knee ligament injury. Doubt we'll see him any time soon.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

They could call Gavin Mullin back in. I saw he was training with the 7s a few months ago.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

leinsterforever wrote: January 31st, 2021, 6:47 pm They could call Gavin Mullin back in. I saw he was training with the 7s a few months ago.
Yeah thought he was very unlucky to not stay on. Rated him higher than Turner.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 31st, 2021, 1:24 pm Have a look at Hawkshaws try again and admire how he accelerates off his step, he comes out of the change of direction faster than he went into it, a basic skill but well executed
agreed. quite like the look of hawkshaw. he's impressive. do you see him as a potential 10 or more in the outside channels?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 31st, 2021, 1:24 pm Have a look at Hawkshaws try again and admire how he accelerates off his step, he comes out of the change of direction faster than he went into it, a basic skill but well executed
It's great that he can do that after his knee injury as well, I've heard plenty of reports of people who did their ACL and didn't quite get back to being as sharp as they were before it. That pace and footwork is his USP IMO so it's really encouraging that he looks so lively.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Leinster invested a lot of patience and expertise in David Hawkshaw's rehabilitation and it now looks totally justified. Very happy for the young man as, even when he emerged from the medical recovery, there were a couple of periods where it was uncertain would he make the step-up from age grade rugby.

A bright guy and a very intelligent player, I look forward to seeing him and McCarthy in the senior squad for many years to come.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

I was looking at the Max OReilly try again because of the finish. He looked to be over striding and his balance was off. Small point which may have been caused by inexperience and the white line. Did anyone else notice or have I completely vanished up my own......
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Fireworks wrote: February 1st, 2021, 2:31 pm I was looking at the Max OReilly try again because of the finish. He looked to be over striding and his balance was off. Small point which may have been caused by inexperience and the white line. Did anyone else notice or have I completely vanished up my own......
In the same manner that a player can be described as "deceptively quick," he looked "deceptively slow." His limbs were moving fast enough and he was leaving players falling in his wake, but he just didn't appear to be covering the ground fast enough. It reminded of Felix Jones at the same age, when he used to do his head-nod running. Like a pigeon on speed.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Fireworks wrote: February 1st, 2021, 2:31 pm I was looking at the Max OReilly try again because of the finish. He looked to be over striding and his balance was off. Small point which may have been caused by inexperience and the white line. Did anyone else notice or have I completely vanished up my own......
To me he looked tentative throughout the game, same as Connacht match.

Both he and DK followed a kick at one stage and he left the whole backfield open, he fell off a few tackles and for their second last he was AWOL.

But the try was a nice piece of individualism and he's clearly got something about him.

And of course he's a feckin first year academy player so that's the big caveat behind all of this! He looked absolutely wrecked by the end which is totally understandable.

Thought it was noticeable how impressive Osborne looked physically when he came in though.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Quick question - did anyone actually hear the TMO at any point during Saturday's match?

There were a couple of times the referee could/should have checked with him (around possible tries and forward passes) but didn't and there were also a couple of times he should have called the ref's attention to incidents but didn't so I'm wondering if something happened and he wasn't actually in attendance
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

joooooe wrote: February 1st, 2021, 3:02 pm
In the same manner that a player can be described as "deceptively quick," he looked "deceptively slow." His limbs were moving fast enough and he was leaving players falling in his wake, but he just didn't appear to be covering the ground fast enough. It reminded of Felix Jones at the same age, when he used to do his head-nod running. Like a pigeon on speed.
The standard of coaching has improved a bit since Felix was at that stage. He has something or he would not be in the academy but I think he needs to work with the/a sprints coach to sort out a few issues.

So few kids are ever taught to run properly.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We’re too used to only seeing kids at this level when they have developed patiently or are unusual talents.

O’Reilly was called into action earlier than he would have without injuries. Leo didn’t ask him for much just to survive and let everyone else win the game. He did that. We didn’t want him taking risks or trying to impress. It helped that Scarlets had a young outhalf with his first start. Carty had had a point to prove to international selectors and knew how to do it.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Fireworks wrote: February 1st, 2021, 8:16 pmThe standard of coaching has improved a bit since Felix was at that stage. He has something or he would not be in the academy but I think he needs to work with the/a sprints coach to sort out a few issues.

So few kids are ever taught to run properly.
From regional dev squads they'll have S&C with some sprint mechanics included.
Just because it doesn't look that pleasing to the eye means you should change their gait.

Example a: