Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
munster#1
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4518
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by munster#1 »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:02 pm
munster#1 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 6:42 pm
Pilotman123 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 6:22 pm

Thought that was the obvious, the pro14 is unchallenged for Leinster our academy starting 15 would probably win most games. You have to at least be playing well in European cup games to be considered for Ireland.
Baird, Keenan and Connors have 1 game a piece in the HC, and that was in a poor display against Saracens. Not sure what you make of that?
I thought Connors and Baird had good games and by virtue of them making the team it showed they were good enough to make it into a team that was good enough to play in a Heineken cup quarter final. They also played and won the playoffs in the Pro14, which is a step up from playing regular season games during the international window.

If you can’t prove you can make your provincal team when it counts why would you get capped? Let the likes of Harry Byrne earn his cap.

Would you disagree?
I am not trying to argue that these players shouldn’t be capped, just stating that applying the metric that you have to show “that you are playing well in European Cup games to be considered for Ireland ” and then stating that a single game or in 2 of the 3 examples less than one game is a bit off the wall.

Put it this way, If Connors hadn’t played those 53 mins should he have been discredited?

I agree with the sentiment that the European cup is the training ground for international players, but I disagree with the applied metrics.

User avatar
munster#1
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4518
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by munster#1 »

Pilotman123 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:05 pm
If you play well in games against Munster and knock out games I agree you probably deserve an Irish call up but not on games against the likes of Cardiff
Hey, come back here with those goal posts.

Pilotman123
Graduate
Posts: 660
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by Pilotman123 »

Keith wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:09 pm
Pilotman123 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:04 pm
Jonny tight lips wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:02 pm


I thought Connors and Baird had good games and by virtue of them making the team it showed they were good enough to make it into a team that was good enough to play in a Heineken cup quarter final. They also played and won the playoffs in the Pro14, which is a step up from playing regular season games during the international window.

If you can’t prove you can make your provincal team when it counts why would you get capped? Let the likes of Harry Byrne earn his cap.

Would you disagree?
Based off tonight I don’t think Harry Byrne is ready yet he needs more time there’s no need to rush him in
This is why Harry Byrne should be playing in a run of these games and not rotated with Hawkshaw just for the sake of it.

I think people are understating Baird's impact against Saracens off the bench. He was brilliant that day.
Well you don’t know if Hawkshaw at this level is better because you haven’t seen him start a game yet so by that logic your favouriting Harry Byrne. Every player deserves a start I’d start Michael Silvester next week he actually played very well he deserves a start. No player owns the jersey. By your logic why can’t Hawkshaw play a run of games? We need to see him start first to see what he’s like he’s played well when he’s come on and is a lot more physical than Byrne

Keith
Mullet
Posts: 1105
Joined: November 8th, 2012, 8:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by Keith »

Pilotman123 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:13 pm
Keith wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:09 pm
Pilotman123 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:04 pm

Based off tonight I don’t think Harry Byrne is ready yet he needs more time there’s no need to rush him in
This is why Harry Byrne should be playing in a run of these games and not rotated with Hawkshaw just for the sake of it.

I think people are understating Baird's impact against Saracens off the bench. He was brilliant that day.
Well you don’t know if Hawkshaw at this level is better because you haven’t seen him start a game yet so by that logic your favouriting Harry Byrne. Every player deserves a start I’d start Michael Silvester next week he actually played very well he deserves a start. No player owns the jersey. By your logic why can’t Hawkshaw play a run of games? We need to see him start first to see what he’s like he’s played well when he’s come on and is a lot more physical than Byrne
Because he is only back from a long term injury and needs to bed in slowly. In fact is Hawkshaw even fit? He wasn't on the bench...

Pilotman123
Graduate
Posts: 660
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by Pilotman123 »

I’m not saying Hawkshaw should start next week, maybe sub I’m just saying you can’t make a player start a run of games for the sake of it regardless of how he plays. That’s not fair logic. I understand you want H Byrne to develop confidence incase he gets called up to a European game but my point is nobody owns the jersey

Pilotman123
Graduate
Posts: 660
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by Pilotman123 »

Keith wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:20 pm
Pilotman123 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:13 pm
Keith wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:09 pm

This is why Harry Byrne should be playing in a run of these games and not rotated with Hawkshaw just for the sake of it.

I think people are understating Baird's impact against Saracens off the bench. He was brilliant that day.
Well you don’t know if Hawkshaw at this level is better because you haven’t seen him start a game yet so by that logic your favouriting Harry Byrne. Every player deserves a start I’d start Michael Silvester next week he actually played very well he deserves a start. No player owns the jersey. By your logic why can’t Hawkshaw play a run of games? We need to see him start first to see what he’s like he’s played well when he’s come on and is a lot more physical than Byrne
Because he is only back from a long term injury and needs to bed in slowly. In fact is Hawkshaw even fit? He wasn't on the bench...
I know I’m talking about all players I’m just saying my point is that nobody owns the jersey

Pilotman123
Graduate
Posts: 660
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by Pilotman123 »

Keith wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:20 pm
Pilotman123 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:13 pm
Keith wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:09 pm

This is why Harry Byrne should be playing in a run of these games and not rotated with Hawkshaw just for the sake of it.

I think people are understating Baird's impact against Saracens off the bench. He was brilliant that day.
Well you don’t know if Hawkshaw at this level is better because you haven’t seen him start a game yet so by that logic your favouriting Harry Byrne. Every player deserves a start I’d start Michael Silvester next week he actually played very well he deserves a start. No player owns the jersey. By your logic why can’t Hawkshaw play a run of games? We need to see him start first to see what he’s like he’s played well when he’s come on and is a lot more physical than Byrne
Because he is only back from a long term injury and needs to bed in slowly. In fact is Hawkshaw even fit? He wasn't on the bench...
I agree with you and he was on the reserves

Pilotman123
Graduate
Posts: 660
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by Pilotman123 »

Good to see Silvester play well today

Blueberry
Graduate
Posts: 651
Joined: April 4th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by Blueberry »

Routine win despite spirited Cardiff effort at times....

Luke is playing some really solid rugby atm, Harry Byrne despite the mistakes is endlessly dangerous and a nightmare to defend against, Kearney as always close to perfect. Ruddock was once again immense. Tracy had a good game too and Scott P was incredible when he came on.

Training matches continue.....apace.......looking down the line the challenge for the coaches is getting the team balance right for Montpellier away....who will be a much more substantial physical challenge.

Pilotman123
Graduate
Posts: 660
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by Pilotman123 »

Apologies for speaking facts that some of you may have not been ready for yet it looks like I left a lot of you speechless

Keith
Mullet
Posts: 1105
Joined: November 8th, 2012, 8:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by Keith »

Pilotman123 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:22 pm
Keith wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:20 pm
Pilotman123 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:13 pm

Well you don’t know if Hawkshaw at this level is better because you haven’t seen him start a game yet so by that logic your favouriting Harry Byrne. Every player deserves a start I’d start Michael Silvester next week he actually played very well he deserves a start. No player owns the jersey. By your logic why can’t Hawkshaw play a run of games? We need to see him start first to see what he’s like he’s played well when he’s come on and is a lot more physical than Byrne
Because he is only back from a long term injury and needs to bed in slowly. In fact is Hawkshaw even fit? He wasn't on the bench...
I agree with you and he was on the reserves
Thanks, that's good to hear. Silvestre was good but the backs are currently having a free ride so it's hard to judge right now.

Pilotman123
Graduate
Posts: 660
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by Pilotman123 »

I agree Baird played very well when he came on against Saracens he had some really good strong carries

User avatar
munster#1
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4518
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by munster#1 »

Pilotman123 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:31 pm
Apologies for speaking facts that some of you may have not been ready for yet it looks like I left a lot of you speechless
Ha ha. Facts such as, you can’t be considered for Ireland unless you play well in HC games, well 1 game is ok, well actually a few mins in 1 HC game is probably ok, well do you know what, if a player has played against Munster or in a knockout league game, as long as it’s not if it’s against Cardiff or teams like them then they can play international rugby.

joooooe
Knowledgeable
Posts: 491
Joined: April 7th, 2009, 12:04 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by joooooe »

Serb wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 6:59 pm
munster#1 wrote:Good to know the metrics.
Stick around long enough and you’ll learn that some people are better off on your ignore list.
I have just implemented this tool for the first time in the decade I've been using this site and blocked one fellow Babbling Brooker. Let's just say about half this thread is now blocked from my view as a result. I'm still convinced the account is a wind up, though.

riocard911
Isa Nacewa
Posts: 2254
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by riocard911 »

Pilotman123 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 7:31 pm
Apologies for speaking facts that some of you may have not been ready for yet it looks like I left a lot of you speechless
Pipe down a bit, would you, in ainm Dé?

No one here is suggesting giving Harry a leg up at the expense of Hawkshaw. The suggestion inherent in your posts, that Leo Cullen and his coaching staff might be doing that, is unfounded, insulting and nonsensical.

Trying to portray your fellow interlocutors on this forum as dummies unwilling to accept your all-seeing wisdom is delusional to say the least. Most of us here have been following rugby since before you were even born. Productive and for all parties enjoyable conversation involves not just spouting off, but also listening. That is something you need to work on, IMO.

User avatar
blaker
Graduate
Posts: 737
Joined: January 14th, 2007, 12:43 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by blaker »

I’m not a regular visitor / poster here anymore - what’s the crack with the Pilot? Auto-block?
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!

Pilotman123
Graduate
Posts: 660
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by Pilotman123 »

blaker wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 8:00 pm
I’m not a regular visitor / poster here anymore - what’s the crack with the Pilot? Auto-block?
Last edited by Pilotman123 on November 22nd, 2020, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bunker101
Posts: 1
Joined: August 23rd, 2020, 8:17 am

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by bunker101 »

OTT wrote:
munster#1 wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 6:43 pm
OTT wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 6:28 pm
Because our first choice Furlong is injured
Our second choice Porter is with Ireland
Our 4th choice Abdeladze is injured
Our 5th choice Salanoa is with Munster
Our 6th choice Aungier is with Connacht
Our 7th choice Parker is injured
And our 8th choice Clarkson is a 20 year old getting game time off the bench because he’s been thrown in at the deep end.


(change around your ranking as you see fit)

Wouldn’t mind seeing Clarkson getting a start personally but him getting 20-30mins off the bench every other week is still good going at his age.
Fair enough, I was just thinking that Leinster have enough if a cushion at this stage to start experimenting a bit.

Given that 2 of those are no longer on the books, and Parker is a short term signing. it would probably be a good idea to try accelerate someone’s development, or look at a more permanent replacement for the 2 lads that have left?

Bent hasn’t too many seasons left, and Furlong and Porter are likely to be on the missing list for much of the next 8-number of seasons.
To be fair I think they were planning having at least one more of those players on the list so they didn’t have that much time to find a replacement :lol: Doubt there’s much in the kitty either. Parker has looked decent in what I’ve seen so far.

As I said I would probably give Clarkson a start but I’m not that worried either. Bent is our 3rd choice who does a fantastic job for us, our two first choices our international quality and younger Porter 24 Furlong 28. We can afford to try and not force a progression on Clarkson (well actually we are one injury away in reality at the minute) because Bent is so reliable, if Bent was our first choice and we didn’t have Porter and Furlong I could see why we might need to try and push through Clarkson but At the minute I’d say he’s ahead of where most 20 year old tight heads are in terms of senior rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
munster#1
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4518
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by munster#1 »

Yet another great win ladies and gents. To not only win all games, but to score 4 or more tries in each game is remarkable, especially considering how many players are missing.

I would not like to be the coach who has to thank this team for their remarkable performances, and then give them a few weekends off when the big guns return.

Pilotman123
Graduate
Posts: 660
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Re: Leinster vs Cardiff, Nov 22nd, 5.15pm

Post by Pilotman123 »

Last edited by Pilotman123 on November 22nd, 2020, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply