Post by Twist »

mildlyinterested wrote:Full game on YouTube: https://youtu.be/QS23QtcTHkI
Cheers! That didnt show up on a normal search for some reason
leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: MNR: Glasgow away, 2nd Nov, 8.15pm

Post by leinsterforever »

hugonaut wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 11:59 am
wixfjord wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 9:04 am Matawalu always causes us problems.

Big job for Kelleher to keep him quiet.

Also, interesting to see Kelleher at 14 and DK at 11. I wonder is that an Andy Farrell request?
Interesting idea.

I never played in the back three [even as a nipper] and it's part of the game where some nuances are lost on me. I understand – I think I understand – what is expected of wingers in different defensive systems, but I mostly put their selection at either left or right wing down to getting them in the team, maybe sometimes whether they favour kicking the ball with left or right foot.

For example, Stockdale and James Lowe are both left-footed, but surely one of them can play right wing without his game going to pieces? And if a left-footed kicking option in defense has become a big requirement for us, surely you can just put your left-footed winger in at fullback for one phase to make that kick – for example, you could play Hugo Keenan at fullback with Lowe or Stockdale on the left wing and just swap positions when you need a left-footed defensive clearance.

I've generally come down more in favour of big wing/small wing, players who offer different threats; for example, Shane Williams and George North for Wales in 2011-12. Both guys have pace and can beat you in small spaces – one guy by sending you the wrong way, the other guy by going through you.

Would be keen to learn more and hear different opinions.
I always thought the quintessential right wing was sturdy player who was strong in the tackle and made good defensive reads, while typically maybe not having quite as much x-factor as the left wing. That's just what feels right to me, why I think Dave Kearney is more valuable at 14 than at 11 - his good defence is of more use at 14 but you'd be looking for someone who was more likely to pull out a piece of magic at 11. I hadn't thought too much about why that's the case, though.

I suppose there are a number of things that could contribute to needing a better defender at 14 and a better attacker at 11, although maybe they applied more in the past than they do now.

- Most players being more comfortable passing from right to left. I think I read Rassie Erasmus saying he couldn't pass off one side, presumably left to right. Keith Wood's pass for Maggs' try against France in the World Cup in 2003 was pretty wonky. Players are probably better now.

- The scrum is more likely to go forward on the loosehead side, which means attacking down the left was a bit easier. The opposition right wing then correspondingly had more defending to do. Obviously there were more scrums in the game in the 70s/80s than there are now.

- Most players are better tacklers on their right shoulder. The left wing would have the touchline as an extra defender on his possibly weaker side but the 14 would have to be able to tackle players cutting inside.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

In my head it’s Denis Hickie on the left and Shane Horgan on the right, but in other teams it was often the other way around, e.g. Lomu.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I played most of my rugby on the left wing.
For lower levels, and in the past with lower skill levels, most of your moves went right to left, since, for teams with right-handed players, they are far more likely to work, due to it being easier to pass that way.
Right wings would cut across and chase box kicks, as well as trying to stop the other team’s moves, when in defence. So that favoured bigger wingers. It’s a bit easier to “hide” poor defensive players on the left wing too.

Obviously, in the modern professional game, with vastly higher skills, it’s not that straightforward. But a lot of the logic holds.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Lowe, Stockdale have big left boots. I used to think that was more useful on the other side for kicking to touch. But for kicking when attacking 1:1 you really want to be using the outside boot. Lowe and Stockdale also are good at those more deft kicks.