Heineken Cup 2020/21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Heineken Cup 2020/21

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 4th, 2021, 8:46 pm You could be right MNG but this one has more clubs considering their position. All up in the air though

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 29420.html
didn't see that. interesting. Testing 3-days instead of 6-days before a game obviously makes sense..but.. I think Racings Lorenzetti is right when he says "So, no, I'm not sure we can get out of our commitments like that. I don't want to be mean, but those who want to boycott the European Cup are the worst performers."
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

I see Clermont lost their third home game in a row. Should make it more straightforward for Munster to qualify for the QFs.
Dont Panic!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

"Alexandre Ruiz will be the man in the middle for Leinster Rugby’s Heineken Champions Cup Pool A meeting with Northampton Saints at Franklin’s Gardens on Friday, 15 January (KO 5.30pm).

Ruiz was also in charge in when the two teams met at the same location in December 2019. On that day, seven tries propelled Leinster to a 16-43 victory.

The following Friday (22 January), Leinster will take on Montpellier again in the final pool game at the RDS Arena (KO 5.30pm), with England’s Christophe Ridley assigned to referee the game.

This will be Ridley’s first time as the lead official for a Leinster Rugby game.

Both games will be shown live on BT Sports."
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 6th, 2021, 11:50 am "Alexandre Ruiz will be the man in the middle for Leinster Rugby’s Heineken Champions Cup Pool A meeting with Northampton Saints at Franklin’s Gardens on Friday, 15 January (KO 5.30pm).

Ruiz was also in charge in when the two teams met at the same location in December 2019. On that day, seven tries propelled Leinster to a 16-43 victory.

The following Friday (22 January), Leinster will take on Montpellier again in the final pool game at the RDS Arena (KO 5.30pm), with England’s Christophe Ridley assigned to referee the game.

This will be Ridley’s first time as the lead official for a Leinster Rugby game.

Both games will be shown live on BT Sports."
Northampton have had their derby against Tigers this weekend cancelled due to cases of COVID in the squad: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55560884

At the very least it will disrupt preparations for the game against us. I could see the game being cancelled though.
Anyone But New Zealand
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Anyone else have a bad feeling that this years Cup might be cancelled altogether?

We have already seen a couple of big results due to matches being cancelled, so this years cup has a lot less credit anyway, but a few more games like that and it will have lost all credibility IMO.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Re "credibility" of current rugby competitions:

I'm sick and tired of hearing this. We are in the middle of a ****ing pandemic, with people dying, doctors and nurses stretched beyond their limits etc, etc. Under the circumstances I am thrilled to be able to watch a Leinster or Ireland rugby match at the weekends. Who knows how long it will last? When one considers the conditions the players and coaches are operating under, I will be the last one to question the "credibility" of this season's Pro14 and ERCC. Should the competitions be completed, whoever wins them will have worked possibly harder to do that than any champion team(s) in previous years - even if they finish top of the pile by virtue of one or other cancelled match. A bit of credit to all concerned, where credit is due, wouldn't go amiss, IMO.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Any and all games have merit, and the broadcasting money is required for the survival of the game.
Anyone But New Zealand
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

FLIP wrote: January 6th, 2021, 4:41 pm Any and all games have merit, and the broadcasting money is required for the survival of the game.
Absolutely! Personally I couldn't give a monkeys who wins what this year. I'm just glad to have any and all games to watch and as long as they can be done safely then long may it continue.

Yes, the competition has been a bit of a Joke but there has been some really great Rugby in their too. I'm grateful for all I can get and I don't mind telling yis, I really need it!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

munster#1 wrote: January 6th, 2021, 3:23 pm Anyone else have a bad feeling that this years Cup might be cancelled altogether?

We have already seen a couple of big results due to matches being cancelled, so this years cup has a lot less credit anyway, but a few more games like that and it will have lost all credibility IMO.
Could not care less if the winner is awarded a melted dildo at this stage. I am just happy to have something other than covid 19 to talk about!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I agree fully that it is great to see rugby back, and I have enjoyed more than any previous season given the break that rugby had, and the sh!t that we have all went through.

But at this stage it feels like it is purely for the entertainment of watching the games rather than the merit of actually supporting the best team, which is not a bad thing all considered, but I feel that whoever wins silverware this season is very irrelevant.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

munster#1 wrote: January 6th, 2021, 4:56 pm I agree fully that it is great to see rugby back, and I have enjoyed more than any previous season given the break that rugby had, and the sh!t that we have all went through.

But at this stage it feels like it is purely for the entertainment of watching the games rather than the merit of actually supporting the best team, which is not a bad thing all considered, but I feel that whoever wins silverware this season is very irrelevant.
I think most people do but look if Munster win something, you'll take it .....likewise if Leinster win something I'd take. People are always gonna hit you with the "oh there'll be an asterix beside it"..... so what!

Another way to look at it is that with the year that was in it, with all the obstacles teams had to overcome, with all the loss that people had to bare, it may end up meaning a more to some of the players (or fans).

Either way, for me anyway, keep it coming...... for as long as possible!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

munster#1 wrote: January 6th, 2021, 4:56 pmBut at this stage it feels like it is purely for the entertainment of watching the games rather than the merit of actually supporting the best team
So what's different for a Munster supporter?
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

FLIP wrote: January 6th, 2021, 7:49 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 6th, 2021, 4:56 pmBut at this stage it feels like it is purely for the entertainment of watching the games rather than the merit of actually supporting the best team
just in case you need it M#1
Show Spoiler:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 6th, 2021, 7:58 pm
FLIP wrote: January 6th, 2021, 7:49 pm
just in case you need it M#1
Show Spoiler:
Ha ha. I walked right into that one.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Northampton have another game postponed due to positive SARS-CoV-2 tests and close contact isolation.

Hopefully they get it under control by next week.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Have to agree with my Munster friend - it's all a load of nonsense this year in a purely competitive meaningful rugby sense, just a case of it's the best team at avoiding Covid Cup but as others say hey ho at least we all get to watch something and spend hours talking sh!te on this forum..............as many of us have little else to be doing and it's certainly better than listening to George Lee raking over the doom and gloom of the day.

Suspect yes the competition is at risk as who knows what is next on the agenda as let's face a few weeks back no one could have predicted the Full Monty Lockdown x 2 being back.

So many moving parts and things way outside of Irish Control that anything could happen. Don't be surprised if some French teams suddenly pull out....for example as they can't be bothered.

Anything is a bonus but a little like the nuts reaction from some Leinster fans to losing to Connacht despite obvious external factors at play maybe we shouldn't take it all too seriously for the remainder of this season, whatever that is..............

Look on the brightside - if we win a cup this year it's a win down to utter brilliance from Leinster . If we get knocked out, it was due to Covid cases and Johnnie having a sore throat from too many swab tests. If Munster win something that entire tournament is a farce and they only won it as everyone else had Covid.

It really is a win win.

On a serious note hats off to all of the players for keeping it trundling along - it can't me much fun turning out in front of two ballboys, a covid marshall and a security guy week in week out.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Blueberry wrote: January 7th, 2021, 2:04 am Johnnie having a sore throat from too many swab tests.
The swab isn't from the throat - in most of the tests currently used anyway - but down the nose.

Having had four in the past month, I do really feel for health workers, but also rugby players and others in regularly tested sectors. It isn't pleasant and can't be great for your nasal passage to have that done so regularly.

Baxter was criticised for calling it into question in October. While it is clear (and regular outbreaks confirm that) that regular testing is essential for pro sports, I do find it a bit wild that, a year into the pandemic, we are still sticking long cotton buds down people's noses, to scrape around their sinuses...on a daily basis for some sectors.
I mean, they had hard-wired RNA to work as a vaccine in March. Surely there must be an easier way to test, without compromising accuracy?

Anyway, fingers crossed that Northampton get their outbreak under control (and that we do), and the show can go on.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Thanks for correction on testing !! At least you speak from practical experience !! - either way it's probably p*ssing J10 off and sure we can use that an excuse if we lose anything !!

My understanding is that the PCR swab tests currently being utilised, are being used as for the volumes of people being tested they are the only practical option. It's being used as it's quick and easy.

My understanding is that they are reliable at picking up genetic material from the virus in a swab but it of course doesn't and can't prove is the virus intact or infectious - it's just spotting and identifying genetic material that come from the virus. It doesn't mean someone is ill and infectious with it, just that they have some of genetic material from the virus in them so may well be infectious and caution required. The absolute gold standard would then go on and culture the virus further in a lab to prove it was live and active but that takes time and not practical with the volumes of tests being carried out.

Some of the criticism for the PCR test (Baxter I assume was part of this but don't know) is focusing on the fact that you can fail a PCR test but not actually have the live virus or be infectious and my understanding is this is true but of course without a much more complex and impractical lab testing method what a failed PCR test is saying is you could be infectious hence caution. I don't think there is anyway of easily figuring out how likely it is you are an active infection and infectious if you fail a PCR test but perhaps some boffin is figuring that out in a small room somewhere. I don't think it will change anything though as failed PCR test = possibly or likely to be infectious hence caution.

There are better methods but the volumes needing testing it's the only practical and best option. That is my understanding anyway.

Anyway let's hope we have a game v Northampton.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Could all be immaterial.
The French government could cause the European season to collapse.
The EPRC is proposing measures to try to keep it going, but I think the French are still spooked by the UK variant.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2021/010 ... ment-call/
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

curates_egg wrote: January 8th, 2021, 2:58 pm Could all be immaterial.
The French government could cause the European season to collapse.
The EPRC is proposing measures to try to keep it going, but I think the French are still spooked by the UK variant.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2021/010 ... ment-call/
I predict we'll beat Munster in the Final by 2 COVID close contacts to 3 (after extra time)