Heineken Cup 2020/21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Blue not red blood
Mullet

Heineken Cup 2020/21

Post by Blue not red blood »

Ok time to look forward as am sure we are so disappointed with they way we lost last Saturday.

But it is how we respond as a team will be the most important thing. So having said that it is time to look at the possible opponents for this seasons competition.

Looking at the Top 14 Table I see Toulouse have moved within a point of 6th.

Am I correct in thinking that they will finish their season so the 7th and 8th places are not decided yet ? The last thing we need is Toulouse in a 3 team group.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Heineken Cup 2020/21

Post by neill_m »

The French took the positions of 2019/20 season when things stopped in March for the purposes of the 2020/21 H Cup. Leinster will have Toulouse/Montpellier home and away.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

neill_m wrote: September 21st, 2020, 12:28 pm The French took the positions of 2019/20 season when things stopped in March for the purposes of the 2020/21 H Cup. Leinster will have Toulouse/Montpellier home and away.
Grand. That'll have us battle-hardened for the knock-out stages so!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Draw is to be made at the end of the month according to GT.

We will be in a group with either Toulouse/Montpellier and Northampton/Glos.

Munster will be in a group with either Clermont/La Rochelle or Sale/Quins.

I think easiest for us would be Mont & Glos, but I sort of want us to get Toulouse to test ourselves.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

wixfjord wrote: October 7th, 2020, 11:17 am
Munster will be in a group with ... Sale....
Not if Sale don't get their sh!t together they won't
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think it's because Sale haven't gotten their sh!t together that they're in that bracket.
As things stand, Munster's English opposition would be either Harlequins or Sale, although the latter could move into the Premiership’s top four at Bath’s expense if their controversial rearranged game against Worcester goes ahead today and they win it. In that case, Munster would face Harlequins or Bath.
Their game with Worcester has been called off this morning.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

wixfjord wrote: October 7th, 2020, 11:57 am I think it's because Sale haven't gotten their sh!t together that they're in that bracket.
As things stand, Munster's English opposition would be either Harlequins or Sale, although the latter could move into the Premiership’s top four at Bath’s expense if their controversial rearranged game against Worcester goes ahead today and they win it. In that case, Munster would face Harlequins or Bath.
Yeah I know - a further 6 positive tests yesterday. So they seem to be losing control of it. When do the Euro games start? Assuming they have to quarrantine until after they test negative, have they any chance of being in shape as a squad for Europe
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The Doc wrote: October 7th, 2020, 1:59 pm
wixfjord wrote: October 7th, 2020, 11:57 am I think it's because Sale haven't gotten their sh!t together that they're in that bracket.
Yeah I know - a further 6 positive tests yesterday. So they seem to be losing control of it. When do the Euro games start? Assuming they have to quarrantine until after they test negative, have they any chance of being in shape as a squad for Europe
Ah Euro games aren't until December aren't they?

Their season is finished now for a few weeks anyway.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

2nd weekend in December
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

wixfjord wrote: October 7th, 2020, 2:10 pm
Ah Euro games aren't until December aren't they?

Their season is finished now for a few weeks anyway.
Yeah but even if they have no more cases and even if everyone clears up immediately - they are still looking at early November start to contact.

But if they get more cases or any existing cases drag on / get worse - who knows when they are back training
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

cormac wrote:
2nd weekend in December
Ah December, I can't wait. This has been the longest month of March I can recall.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Peg Leg wrote:
cormac wrote:
The Doc wrote: October 7th, 2020, 1:59 pm Yeah I know - a further 6 positive tests yesterday. So they seem to be losing control of it. When do the Euro games start? Assuming they have to quarrantine until after they test negative, have they any chance of being in shape as a squad for Europe
2nd weekend in December
Ah December, I can't wait. This has been the longest month of March I can recall.
It feels like Paddy's Day will never come
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Draw announcement at 3pm Irish time today. Apparently being done behind closed doors.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

neill_m wrote: October 28th, 2020, 11:16 am Draw announcement at 3pm Irish time today. Apparently being done behind closed doors.
There's not a lot of surprise in it though is there? My understanding is we get one of MontP or Toulouse and one of Glouc or Northampton. And whoever we don't get Ulster gets. Is that right?
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

LeinsterLeader wrote: October 28th, 2020, 11:33 am
neill_m wrote: October 28th, 2020, 11:16 am Draw announcement at 3pm Irish time today. Apparently being done behind closed doors.
There's not a lot of surprise in it though is there? My understanding is we get one of MontP or Toulouse and one of Glouc or Northampton. And whoever we don't get Ulster gets. Is that right?
Spot on. Sure they will rig the draw for the Premiership sides where possible 😉
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

neill_m wrote: October 28th, 2020, 11:36 am
LeinsterLeader wrote: October 28th, 2020, 11:33 am
Spot on. Sure they will rig the draw for the Premiership sides where possible 😉
Yep. My money is still on Saracens :lol:
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Oh, to be planning these European trips again....the scramble for hotels and flights before the prices went through the roof....the bit if inside information that gave you the edge....
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinster Rugby will face Northampton Saints and Montpellier in the Pool stage of the 2020/21 Heineken Champions Cup.

The draw was conducted today in Lausanne with Leinster drawn into Pool A as a Tier 1 seeded team.

As the non-PRO14 Tier 4 teams in Pool A, Leinster will face Northampton Saints of the Premiership, familiar foes having also met in the Pool stage of the 2019/20 season, and Montpellier, who the province met in the 2017/18 Champions Cup round robin phase.

The games will be played in December 2020 and January 2021 with fixture details to be announced in due course.
leinsterblueyellow
Learner

Post by leinsterblueyellow »

Brilliant. That's as good as can be expected. I am glad we avoided Toulouse.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

What is going on with those pools?
Northampton don't seem to be playing Montpellier.
Who actually qualifies and how?