Heineken Cup 2020/21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Heineken Cup 2020/21

Post by riocard911 »

Dunno is it more a reflection on their Lyon counterparts, but the Exeter replacement front row have won at least three scrum penalties, one of which resulted in a penalty try.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

FT Exeter 47 Lyon 25. We'll need to be at our best next week.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Really good day of rugby today.

Munster played pretty well overall, de Allende showed up for the first time this season, but only really in the first half. Munster without Beirne are poor, they really rely on his breakdown work to be effective. Carbery was a bit of a turnstile again in this game, I think I counted 5 times where someone smashed through him barely breaking stride, including one try, but I think he’s still building his confidence in fairness.

Toulouse don’t look like a great team — outrageously good going forward, but a pretty poor defence. Pack was weak until Tekori came on, he made such a difference. I wouldn’t be worried about facing them should we end up against them later in the tournament.

Lyon weren’t much of a challenge for Exeter, not sure what to make of Exeter really after this one. They were good, took their chances, have quality all over the pitch. Will be a very tough test for us.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Twist wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:08 pm This is one of the maddest comments Ive ever seen on MF;

“Kidney could get us back on the road if given support.
The task is now too big for an O Gara / Young coach.”

:O
No- but definitely if 26,000 fans were there they would have won :roll: ......definitely
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Exeter looked very strong. With gray in their 2nd row along with hill it’s a very strong pack and we will want to have our penalty count very low to get through them. Do get the feeling that who wins next week is favourite for the cup this year
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

John23 wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 5:29 pm
CiaranIrl wrote:I can't find the answer to this for some reason: What semi final faces the winner of our quarter final?
I think that draw has yet to be made. I could be entirely wrong.
I didn’t see anything at the draw that implied it was set decided but they have a full knockout bracket on the Wikipedia page. Yes I know the Wikipedia page isn't official and can be changed by anybody but I’m just saying somebody seemed to think it was decided and put it up.
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

From the EPC press release after the round of 16/quarter final draw

"The draw for the quarter-finals was open allowing for the possibility of matches between clubs from the same league, and a further draw for the semi-finals will take place following the quarter-finals."

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Has the day and kickoff time been confirmed for the Exeter game?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
John23 wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 5:29 pm
CiaranIrl wrote:I can't find the answer to this for some reason: What semi final faces the winner of our quarter final?
I think that draw has yet to be made. I could be entirely wrong.
I didn’t see anything at the draw that implied it was set decided but they have a full knockout bracket on the Wikipedia page. Yes I know the Wikipedia page isn't official and can be changed by anybody but I’m just saying somebody seemed to think it was decided and put it up.
Somebody was wrong... "Citation needed"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

blockhead wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 10:16 pm Has the day and kickoff time been confirmed for the Exeter game?
Not yet but I heard in an interview someone referring to the game being on the Saturday, but that could have been a mistake
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

OTT wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 6:45 pm
Show Spoiler:
I hate Ben Whitehouse
:oops:
From sections of the game I saw I wasn't impressed with him.

Letting breakdowns be a mess and seemed more lenient towards Exeter. Not winning them the game but frustrating to watch.

Slade's back of the hand offload into touch was a mile forward too - no idea why he overruled his AR to say it wasn't. :?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

alanair wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:29 pm
Twist wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:08 pm This is one of the maddest comments Ive ever seen on MF;

“Kidney could get us back on the road if given support.
The task is now too big for an O Gara / Young coach.”

:O
No- but definitely if 26,000 fans were there they would have won :roll: ......definitely
They’re gas down there
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Rob Baxter sounds confident about Sam and Joe Simmonds being available next week

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/rugby/r ... en-5262180

“Both men left the field in apparent discomfort with the forward getting his ankle strapped by medical staff before going off in the 61st minute while the back was helped off the pitch by support staff five minutes later.

Discussing the status of his two key men, Baxter said: “It was only crampy stuff.

“There were a lot of points scored and there were a lot of metres run.”

“I spoke to Joe in the changing room after the game and he said he is okay and already feeling good.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I’d be shocked if that’s true about Joe Simmonds. I noticed it live that he tried to kick out of a tackle and it looked like his body went one way and his ankle went another so wasn’t surprised to see that he was injured. He was clearly in agony then when he was walking off.

He might be okay to play but I bet he’s got a swollen ankle this morning.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Someone mentioned it that our discipline needs to be really good next week. Exeter are similar to us in that they rarely leave the 22 without points.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 4th, 2021, 10:16 am I’d be shocked if that’s true about Joe Simmonds. I noticed it live that he tried to kick out of a tackle and it looked like his body went one way and his ankle went another so wasn’t surprised to see that he was injured. He was clearly in agony then when he was walking off.

He might be okay to play but I bet he’s got a swollen ankle this morning.
I would be astonished if he was fit
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

So the Top 14 form guide is accurate with each of the top five qualified for the quarter finals. Bristol (Prem 1st) have lost out but Exeter(2nd Prem), favourite of the English commentators, fly the flag of St George whilst Scarlets and Sale (currently 3rd in Prem) fight for last slot alongside Leinster.

It would be good to see Scarlets qualify beside Leinster but in truth the winners this weekend have been those with most forward power and that looks like Sale in the early encounters.

Although it is almost a surfeit of rugby for one weekend, there's little doubt that rugby games of this calibre are well suited to knock-out format and there has been plenty of points and lots of high quality attacking and finishing.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Not a good weekend for the Pro14.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

wixfjord wrote: April 4th, 2021, 6:07 pm Not a good weekend for the Pro14.
Fair play to ulster at least they have shown some form. Scarlets are a disgrace, you’d think with the possibility of 4 games and euro cup glory they would have put on a better showing
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Maybe they’re saving their powder for the Rainbow Cup. They don’t play any Irish provinces. So in one sense they have a much better shot.