Replacing Leinster's older generation over next 12 to 24 months

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Replacing Leinster's older generation over next 12 to 24 months

Post by neiliog93 »

I remember reading that when he left it was made clear to him that he would be welcome back to Leinster rugby...
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 6:53 pm Or just imagine Israel Folau without the homophobia.

Interesting stuff Hugo, last time I checked up on he seemed to be doing well although I don't know a thing about AFL. I think one of our coaches mentioned that we were still in touch with him didn't they? Can't remember the details and it must be at least a year ago.

Definitely worth a phone call anyway.
He had a pretty good 2019 season [14 appearances] but only played in 2 of 18 games in 2020. Hawthorn were very poor this year and finished 15th of 18.

He signed a two year deal in August 2018, but I haven't heard any news of an updated contract. The AFL [like the IRFU] is in a really difficult financial situation, so I'd imagine a lot of contracts are up in the air.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

hugonaut wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 7:56 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 6:53 pm Or just imagine Israel Folau without the homophobia.

Interesting stuff Hugo, last time I checked up on he seemed to be doing well although I don't know a thing about AFL. I think one of our coaches mentioned that we were still in touch with him didn't they? Can't remember the details and it must be at least a year ago.

He had a pretty good 2019 season [14 appearances] but only played in 2 of 18 games in 2020. Hawthorn were very poor this year and finished 15th of 18.

He signed a two year deal in August 2018, but I haven't heard any news of an updated contract. The AFL [like the IRFU] is in a really difficult financial situation, so I'd imagine a lot of contracts are up in the air.
The AFL season kicks off on 20th March and I'll be keeping an eye out for Hawthorn to see how Nash gets on. He had shoulder reconstruction in October of last year [source: https://www.news-mail.com.au/news/brown ... e/4115174/ ] but going from the information in that report he should be fit to start the season.

I get the feeling that his AFL career is not really working out as either he or Hawthorn had envisaged. For example, his bio write-up on the Hawthorn website is very matter-of-fact and not particularly enthusiastic:

"Conor Nash made a modest two appearances at AFL level in 2020. His two senior outings came in the Round 11 and 12 losses to Fremantle and West Coast respectively. Brought into the side to provide his versatility and aggression, the Irishman struggled to have much of an impact playing predominantly forward. Entering his fifth year in the brown and gold, Nash’s athletic traits are up there with some of the most formidable at the club.The 22-year-old will be hopeful he can find some consistency at senior level in 2021. Keep your eyes on the Irishman, Hawks fans."
[source: https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/players/1302/conor-nash ]

That's his own club, not a third party source. It's hardly ringing with praise. This is probably the first sporting endeavour which the lad hasn't immediately found himself top of the pile, so it must be a very different experience with him. I realise that I return to this topic time and time again, but it sort of fascinates me. I've never really understood his decision to pursue an AFL career, to take up a new sport to play as a professional, when he already had the option of going professional in a sport he already played.

According to this website [here: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/to-hawthorn-hawks ] his contract is up at the end of the 2021 season; at that stage he will have spent five years with Hawthorn. He's the same age-grade as Doris and Ronan Kelleher [b.1998].
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

hugonaut wrote: March 11th, 2021, 6:24 am

The AFL season kicks off on 20th March and I'll be keeping an eye out for Hawthorn to see how Nash gets on. He had shoulder reconstruction in October of last year [source: https://www.news-mail.com.au/news/brown ... e/4115174/ ] but going from the information in that report he should be fit to start the season.

I get the feeling that his AFL career is not really working out as either he or Hawthorn had envisaged. For example, his bio write-up on the Hawthorn website is very matter-of-fact and not particularly enthusiastic:

"Conor Nash made a modest two appearances at AFL level in 2020. His two senior outings came in the Round 11 and 12 losses to Fremantle and West Coast respectively. Brought into the side to provide his versatility and aggression, the Irishman struggled to have much of an impact playing predominantly forward. Entering his fifth year in the brown and gold, Nash’s athletic traits are up there with some of the most formidable at the club.The 22-year-old will be hopeful he can find some consistency at senior level in 2021. Keep your eyes on the Irishman, Hawks fans."

That's his own club, not a third party source. It's hardly ringing with praise. This is probably the first sporting endeavour which the lad hasn't immediately found himself top of the pile, so it must be a very different experience with him. I realise that I return to this topic time and time again, but it sort of fascinates me. I've never really understood his decision to pursue an AFL career, to take up a new sport to play as a professional, when he already had the option of going professional in a sport he already played.

According to this website [here: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/to-hawthorn-hawks ] his contract is up at the end of the 2021 season; at that stage he will have spent five years with Hawthorn. He's the same age-grade as Doris and Ronan Kelleher [b.1998].
I think the contract offer was pretty enticing.. when compared to an academy contract. He had been fairly engaged by AFL from early on too, was scouted/recruited by them for 2+ years.

He looks fairly settled in Australia going by social media. I'm not going to get my hopes up on him returning to leinster rugby. :lol:

But if I was Nucifora I'd be trying to organize a meeting with Nash while I'm in Australia and letting him know that if he was interested there was a contract there for him if he was interested.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 11th, 2021, 6:36 am But if I was Nucifora I'd be trying to organise a meeting with Nash while I'm in Australia.
That is a great point. Make yourself useful, Lucifora.

From my perspective, and putting aside all pleasantries, he is having a mediocre career in the AFL. He's an amazing athlete who has an ideal make-up for the game, so it is sort of surprising ... but it's his third field sport and he only took it up in his late teens, so from that side of the argument it's not surprising. Either way, it's disappointing. If he's going to stick with it, I want to see him excel, not struggle.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

hugonaut wrote: March 11th, 2021, 6:24 am

I read an article about Tadhg Kennelly's work in this regard a couple of years back and he had agreed a minimum requirement that AFL clubs must offer when bringing young Irish lads over. I can't remember the exact package but it certainly included $100k AUD, 2 trips home a year and 2 trips out for their family, and I think it probably included accommodation. Compare that to what he was being offered to join the Leinster Academy/Sub-Academy, his combination of football & rugby skills, and I can easily understand his decision.
I've no idea how much rugby players make on average in Ireland but the average AFL salary is $370k AUD (€240k equiv)
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Laighin Break wrote: March 11th, 2021, 8:31 am
I read an article about Tadhg Kennelly's work in this regard a couple of years back and he had agreed a minimum requirement that AFL clubs must offer when bringing young Irish lads over. I can't remember the exact package but it certainly included $100k AUD, 2 trips home a year and 2 trips out for their family, and I think it probably included accommodation. Compare that to what he was being offered to join the Leinster Academy/Sub-Academy, his combination of football & rugby skills, and I can easily understand his decision.
I've no idea how much rugby players make on average in Ireland but the average AFL salary is $370k AUD (€240k equiv)
I think this is the Kennelly article you're referring to: https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/the-salary ... fter-21483
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

hugonaut wrote: March 11th, 2021, 8:27 am
mildlyinterested wrote: March 11th, 2021, 6:36 am But if I was Nucifora I'd be trying to organise a meeting with Nash while I'm in Australia.

From my perspective, and putting aside all pleasantries, he is having a mediocre career in the AFL. He's an amazing athlete who has an ideal make-up for the game, so it is sort of surprising ... but it's his third field sport and he only took it up in his late teens, so from that side of the argument it's not surprising. Either way, it's disappointing. If he's going to stick with it, I want to see him excel, not struggle.
Do you honestly think if Nucifora went to the bother of enticing this lad back to Ireland that he would be coming to play for Leinster? :lol:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

I think, this season will sort of make or break it for him. Although I can see why he might be reluctant to return to Ireland given current circumstances.

ARU could do worse than to tap him up.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

hugonaut wrote: March 11th, 2021, 8:40 am
Laighin Break wrote: March 11th, 2021, 8:31 am
I think this is the Kennelly article you're referring to: https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/the-salary ... fter-21483
Close enough :lol:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

There is always the risk.
He might have been deemed to have been a great player had he not played.
Injuries being a factor. AFL is a tough, physical game but rugby is probably more risky injury wise.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I’m all for your interest in this Hugo!

I’m sure I’d see a post saying this if I looked back but my memory of his decision to go is that Gaelic football was his first love and if that was professional then there wouldn’t have been a decision to make. He wasn’t mad about rugby but would have signed to be a pro if the Aussie rules deal hadn’t been on the table. They really pushed the boat out for him too, IIRC he travelled down to Oz the summer before 6th year.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

The hardcore GAA in Meath probably preferred to see him head to the AFL than spurn them for rugby too.
decob
Beginner

Post by decob »

Dunno about that! - I'd have preferred him to stay and play for Leinster than go to Oz.... and then after winning all he could in rugby come back and play county for meath and lead us to an all Ireland!! :D
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

decob wrote: March 11th, 2021, 12:12 pm Dunno about that! - I'd have preferred him to stay and play for Leinster than go to Oz.... and then after winning all he could in rugby come back and play county for meath and lead us to an all Ireland!! :D
Now I heard he was a very good footballer but hardly a miracle worker :lol:
Last edited by Laighin Break on April 14th, 2021, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Four games [of 22] into the AFL season and Hawthorn are second last of 18 teams, with one win. They play second placed Melbourne this weekend. Conor Nash has not played thus far.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Box Hill Hawks [Hawthorn's second string] will start their season on Sunday 18 April in the VFL. I presume that Nash will be involved in that game, rather than the Melbourne game in the AFL.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

To partially answer a question earlier in the thread, I've been told by people who would know that a big part of Nash's reason for going to the AFL was that Hawthorne made special arrangements for him to further his education. He orignally intended to study medicine but switched to undenominated science. Maybe he still has plans to go back to medicine, he's young enough.

AFL is a hugely attritional game. It's not always the obvious injuries, of the type you would also get in rugby, that end careers. Players have to cover huge mileage every week. They cover around 14-15km per match, often at a sprint. The games are two hours long and the pitch is the size of a cricket oval. Your perception can be skewed by ultra-durable headline makers; Stynes, Ablett, O'Loughlin, but pro careers typically don't last much longer than five years.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Nash featured as an interchange player in Week 5 [18 April], his first AFL appearance of the season. He played some minutes, but Hawthorn were pumped 104-54 by Melbourne [who remain unbeaten close to the top of the ladder].

He was dropped for this weekend's game, which the Hawks won against the Adelaide Crows. That gives Hawthorn two wins from six. They're fifteenth of eighteen on the ladder.