A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Keith
Mullet

Re: Replacing Leinster's older generation over next 12 to 24 months

Post by Keith »

Twist wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 10:51 am
To partially answer a question earlier in the thread, I've been told by people who would know that a big part of Nash's reason for going to the AFL was that Hawthorne made special arrangements for him to further his education. He orignally intended to study medicine but switched to undenominated science. Maybe he still has plans to go back to medicine, he's young enough.

AFL is a hugely attritional game. It's not always the obvious injuries, of the type you would also get in rugby, that end careers. Players have to cover huge mileage every week. They cover around 14-15km per match, often at a sprint. The games are two hours long and the pitch is the size of a cricket oval. Your perception can be skewed by ultra-durable headline makers; Stynes, Ablett, O'Loughlin, but pro careers typically don't last much longer than five years.
I know Nash personally, he loves it over in Aus obviously but he still keeps an eye on Leinster and mentioned a couple of years ago how he would love to be out there playing in blue in a big European game.

Apparently Hawthorn fans don't rate him highly so who knows he could come back. I think it's an absolute tragedy to be losing our athletes to that sport over there but fair play to any lad for taking the opportunity.

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I try and keep up to date with how he is doing and heard an interview that he did at the end of last year with an Irish show; it was before Conor Glass went home, so it must have been in 2020.

He came across as a balanced, intelligent guy who knows his own mind and is confident in his abilities and opinions; there was more in the interview than you would get from a Leinster player of the same age, but that's sort of to be expected, because nobody in Ireland is giving him sh*t for Hawthorn not doing well! Most people in Ireland [including myself] don't really understand Aussie Rules ... there's way more curiosity than criticism in an interview like that, and you can give a straight opinion without worrying if you are going to get a load of sh*t on social media for it.

The guy has rare athletic ability; I saw him play live once [must have been a Leinster Youths game] and he looked like a different species to the rest of the players on the pitch.

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I'd certainly hope we'd give Nash a one-year deal if he chose to come home. A very rare type of athlete and certainly worth a punt.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

riocard911
Rhys Ruddock

Post by riocard911 »

neiliog93 wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 5:52 pm
I'd certainly hope we'd give Nash a one-year deal if he chose to come home. A very rare type of athlete and certainly worth a punt.
One could imagine a certain reluctance on Lancaster's part to getting involved in such a cross-over scenario again after his traumatic experience with the Burgess imbroglio pre- and at the RWC2015....

OTT
Mullet

Post by OTT »

riocard911 wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 6:12 pm
neiliog93 wrote:
One could imagine a certain reluctance on Lancaster's part to getting involved in such a cross-over scenario again after his traumatic experience with the Burgess imbroglio pre- and at the RWC2015....
Nash could make a good scapegoat for the media like Burgess was, bring Nash off in a big game which you are winning and have control of and then blame him when you lose it.

(Not suggesting for a minute Lancaster blamed Burgess I’m sure he took a lot of self blame and was thrown under the bus himself as head coach but the amount put on Burgess from other sources was absolutely ridiculous considering the facts).
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

riocard911 wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 6:12 pm
neiliog93 wrote:
Or Folau who did League, Aussie Rules and Union with little enough issue til the other stuff . . .