Stash Watch 2020/21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

irishjonny
Knowledgeable

Stash Watch 2020/21

Post by irishjonny »

With the Irish rangecoming in august and all the Leinster kit heavily discounted on Lifestyle have we any idea when there might be some new gear?

Home jersey is def due a refresh.
best quote from croker was this old boy behind me after about 65 minutes when you could see the red jerseys flooding out of the place

"Lock the gates, make them watch"

Disturbing yet arousing at the same time
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Stash Watch 2020/21

Post by riocard911 »

irishjonny wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 2:15 pm With the Irish rangecoming in august and all the Leinster kit heavily discounted on Lifestyle have we any idea when there might be some new gear?

Not just that! Since Adidas took over our shorts are the same colour as the jerseys, making for a monotone, boring sartorial team/squad appearance, IMO. I would like very much, if went back to our traditional two-tone, with the shorts a darker shade of blue than the jersey.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

riocard911 wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 3:24 pm
irishjonny wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 2:15 pm With the Irish rangecoming in august and all the Leinster kit heavily discounted on Lifestyle have we any idea when there might be some new gear?

Not just that! Since Adidas took over our shorts are the same colour as the jerseys, making for a monotone, boring sartorial team/squad appearance, IMO. I would like very much, if went back to our traditional two-tone, with the shorts a darker shade of blue than the jersey.
I don't think there is any Adidas kit which is not the same colour shorts and shirt. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyone But New Zealand
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

FLIP wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 6:19 pm I don't think there is any Adidas kit which is not the same colour shorts and shirt. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Quins anyway.

Then Blues (navy shorts), Canes (black v yellow jersey), Crusaders (black v red jersey).
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

FLIP wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 6:19 pm
riocard911 wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 3:24 pm

I don't think there is any Adidas kit which is not the same colour shorts and shirt. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Munster are supplied by Adidas and their shorts are a darker shade of red than the jerseys.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Darker shorts subvert the inverted triangle.
I have Bumbleflex
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Morf wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 6:34 pm
FLIP wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 6:19 pm I don't think there is any Adidas kit which is not the same colour shorts and shirt. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Quins anyway.

Then Blues (navy shorts), Canes (black v yellow jersey), Crusaders (black v red jersey).
That's me told :shock:
Anyone But New Zealand
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 9:14 pm Darker shorts subvert the inverted triangle.
Is that good or bad?
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

FLIP wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 10:39 pm
Morf wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 6:34 pm
Quins anyway.

That's me told :shock:
Suntory Sungoliath, Toyota Verblitz, Nttdocomo Red Hurricanes.

Few more from the Top League too. Seems about 50/50 whether adidas go monotone.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

riocard911 wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 11:39 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 9:14 pm Darker shorts subvert the inverted triangle.
Is that good or bad?
Bad, an inverted triangle shape (broad shoulders, narrow hips) is perceived by our brains to be physically powerful. Its why you'll often see a 'disruptive' element on shirts around the sides of the torso and under the arms, or on the shorts
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote: July 24th, 2020, 8:42 am
riocard911 wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 11:39 pm
Is that good or bad?
Bad, an inverted triangle shape (broad shoulders, narrow hips) is perceived by our brains to be physically powerful. Its why you'll often see a 'disruptive' element on shirts around the sides of the torso and under the arms, or on the shorts
Maybe that’s the plan, be the anti Woodward. Teams think they can go through us when they can’t.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Doubtful there'll be new kits this season, bit of a luxury purchase for fans who may not want to splash out in these "uncertain times", likely to be limited opportunities for fans to watch teams live until 2021 so again affecting numbers of jerseys sold if you can't water it to the game.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Totally agree that the monotone look isn’t great, but can I add that I like to see a bit of hold on the jersey too. Especially on the harp
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

TerenureJim wrote: July 26th, 2020, 8:46 am Doubtful there'll be new kits this season, bit of a luxury purchase for fans who may not want to splash out in these "uncertain times", likely to be limited opportunities for fans to watch teams live until 2021 so again affecting numbers of jerseys sold if you can't water it to the game.

Teams need cash and fans can’t spend cash going to games. Make a load of kits and use them for next year too. Assuming you can get a supply
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote: July 24th, 2020, 8:42 am Bad, an inverted triangle shape (broad shoulders, narrow hips) is perceived by our brains to be physically powerful. Its why you'll often see a 'disruptive' element on shirts around the sides of the torso and under the arms, or on the shorts
2015-16 jersey was a good example. Big splash of white on the shoulders and then inverted chevrons in a darker colour at the base [link: https://rugbyshirtwatch.com/2015/08/19/ ... te-shirts/ ].

From my perspective, I thought it was a good jersey [not a great jersey]. Leave the white collar, take the white patches off the shoulder and that would have been a classic Leinster jersey. The 2014-15 European jersey, on the other hand, was an irredeemable abortion of a yoke. Goggles: https://rugbyshirtwatch.com/2014/08/06/ ... ean-shirt/ . That sh*t should never have been passed. One of the ugliest jerseys I have ever seen.

Of course, that is a totally subjective viewpoint. I understand that the manufacturer needs to make the jersey different enough each season that people want to, or feel obliged to, buy it.

From my point of view, the blue home jersey should always be conservative and nuanced. I think that we should have a Leinster Blue colour - CMYK or PMS, whatever system – and that should be the basic colour for all our home jerseys [and actually anything to do with Leinster].Same basic colour, year after year. And the jerseys should be pretty similar year-in, year-out ... like the Dallas Cowboys, for example [link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys#Uniforms ].

Our away jersey should be where things change more radically. I always liked this Cardiff one from 6-7 years ago [link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys#Uniforms ] and the Toulouse away and French national team away jerseys are always sharp.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

hugonaut wrote: July 31st, 2020, 12:40 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: July 24th, 2020, 8:42 am Bad, an inverted triangle shape (broad shoulders, narrow hips) is perceived by our brains to be physically powerful. Its why you'll often see a 'disruptive' element on shirts around the sides of the torso and under the arms, or on the shorts
The 2014-15 European jersey, on the other hand, was an irredeemable abortion of a yoke. Goggles: https://rugbyshirtwatch.com/2014/08/06/ ... ean-shirt/ . That sh*t should never have been passed. One of the ugliest jerseys I have ever seen.
It's not a great state of affairs when then graphic looks overweight.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

hugonaut wrote: July 31st, 2020, 12:40 pm
2015-16 jersey was a good example. Big splash of white on the shoulders and then inverted chevrons in a darker colour at the base [link: https://rugbyshirtwatch.com/2015/08/19/ ... te-shirts/ ].

From my perspective, I thought it was a good jersey [not a great jersey]. Leave the white collar, take the white patches off the shoulder and that would have been a classic Leinster jersey. The 2014-15 European jersey, on the other hand, was an irredeemable abortion of a yoke. Goggles: https://rugbyshirtwatch.com/2014/08/06/ ... ean-shirt/ . That sh*t should never have been passed. One of the ugliest jerseys I have ever seen.

Of course, that is a totally subjective viewpoint. I understand that the manufacturer needs to make the jersey different enough each season that people want to, or feel obliged to, buy it.

From my point of view, the blue home jersey should always be conservative and nuanced. I think that we should have a Leinster Blue colour - CMYK or PMS, whatever system – and that should be the basic colour for all our home jerseys [and actually anything to do with Leinster].Same basic colour, year after year. And the jerseys should be pretty similar year-in, year-out ... like the Dallas Cowboys, for example [link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys#Uniforms ].

Our away jersey should be where things change more radically. I always liked this Cardiff one from 6-7 years ago [link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys#Uniforms ] and the Toulouse away and French national team away jerseys are always sharp.
My favourite example of a piece of kit design for psychological reasons is the shorts on the 2009 Grand slam kit. Two simple green curves either side create an impression of narrow hips and break up the body shape when combined with the jersey and the green pitch. Very small, very subtle, very effective.

Also, anyone remember the font being used by CCC on jersey numbers at the time - really hard to read at a glance
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

There is currently an hour long wait to get into the Liverpool online store to pre-order the new LFC home jersey. Somehow, no matter how good it is, I don't see that being a problem for Leinster :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Dave Cahill wrote: August 1st, 2020, 12:29 pm Also, anyone remember the font being used by CCC on jersey numbers at the time - really hard to read at a glance

My favourite thing about the numbers on the 2009 6 Nations jerseys
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote: August 1st, 2020, 12:29 pm
My favourite example of a piece of kit design for psychological reasons is the shorts on the 2009 Grand slam kit. Two simple green curves either side create an impression of narrow hips and break up the body shape when combined with the jersey and the green pitch. Very small, very subtle, very effective.

Also, anyone remember the font being used by CCC on jersey numbers at the time - really hard to read at a glance
I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. Went back with an image search and it's really effective - there's a good example in the main photo here [link: https://extra.ie/2017/07/25/sport/rugby ... lam-winner ] where you can see the green strip on Hayes's left hip working really well in that regard. It sort of frames the silhouette and makes sure that the white shorts don't like a massive nappy.

Getting those sort of technical ideas incorporated into the Leinster kit design is the route I would prefer that adidas took. Make the wearer look athletic. If possible, give an on-field advantage – whether that's collar design, seam placement, grip printing, whatever – on the pro jersey. On that point, Canterbury provided a short, interesting article on the difference between the test jersey and replica jersey they made for England back in 2014 here: https://www.canterbury.com/blog/sports/ ... st-vs-pro/

I have zero interest in conceptual nonsense about the spears that the Celts used to use or the strings on a harp. That is just pure hokum. We already have a heritage, and it's this: https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/statu ... 07/photo/1