A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Academy 20-21

Post by mildlyinterested »

Keith wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 10:23 pm
leinsterforever wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 3:00 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 10:14 am Doing a review of the academies and you'd probably say only Tom Clarkson is the best academy prospect at his position in the leinster academy when comparing to the other provinces.

Obviously theres bee quite a few top talents leave the leinster academy early in recent seasons but it is probably at it's weakest talent-wise in some time.
Maybe Joe McCarthy alongside Ahern in the second row and Andrew Smith on the wing.
I see Joe McCarthy has been identified as being qualified for the USA. Could have a few MLR teams after him.
Can't see him wanting to play MLR over playing for leinster.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 10:34 pm
Keith wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 10:23 pm
leinsterforever wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 3:00 pm

Maybe Joe McCarthy alongside Ahern in the second row and Andrew Smith on the wing.
I see Joe McCarthy has been identified as being qualified for the USA. Could have a few MLR teams after him.
Can't see him wanting to play MLR over playing for leinster.
No defiantly not, but if he's struggling for game time here, he could be lured by having a chance to play at a world cup and also securing his career. MLR teams are offering foreign players multi year contracts already, which is impressive given how small time it is. Obviously I can't see him leaving anytime soon but just something to keep an eye on.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Definitely areas where we need to improve, but I'd be much more worried about my team if I was a munster fan. 37 defenders beaten versus 16 is an important stat here. Munster just ran repeatedly into contact and couldn't go anywhere. They barely looked threatening at all for 60 minutes.

We need to sharpen up, but we're comfortably ahead of them from an attacking point of view anyway, and both teams have a similarly excellent defense.

Edit: Sorry, this was supposed to be in the Munster/Leinster match thread
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster hiring an academy athletic development coach.

https://login.hirelocker.com/leinster-0 ... gby-dublin

Interesting move, think that may be a new position but not 100% on that.

Academy has been fairly wrecked by injury this season and those who did play a recent A game didn't look to be in the best condition.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 25th, 2021, 2:32 pm Leinster hiring an academy athletic development coach.

Academy has been fairly wrecked by injury this season and those who did play a recent A game didn't look to be in the best condition.
That has got to be the most comrehensive Job Description I've ever come across in the context of rugby. The main reporting line is to a post I've never heard of before and I wonder is this Noel McNamara's new role.

The job spec reads like something from the NFL but I'd be interested if somebody expert in the S&C world might comment on what sort of background would they be targeting with the specs outlined.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 26th, 2021, 7:42 am
mildlyinterested wrote: January 25th, 2021, 2:32 pm Leinster hiring an academy athletic development coach.

That has got to be the most comrehensive Job Description I've ever come across in the context of rugby. The main reporting line is to a post I've never heard of before and I wonder is this Noel McNamara's new role.

The job spec reads like something from the NFL but I'd be interested if somebody expert in the S&C world might comment on what sort of background would they be targeting with the specs outlined.
Is he not reporting to Head of Athletic Performance, Leinster(Charlie Higgins) & Academy Manager, Leinster(Noel McNamara)
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 26th, 2021, 7:42 amThat has got to be the most comrehensive Job Description I've ever come across in the context of rugby. The main reporting line is to a post I've never heard of before and I wonder is this Noel McNamara's new role.

A lot of HR fluff but it looks fairly standard I'd say. I'm a sport & exercise science grad without having worked in the field.

So you have some leeway to plan/execute but sounds like there is a sub-academy and senior system you have to fit between along with being in harmony with IRFU (20s/7s). So the buck stops somewhat with you for academy but you're likely tweaking pre-existing programs/schedules along with a lot of monitoring for fatigue and excess load and coordinating rehab with physio/rehab specific staff.

This kinda post is likely going to a candidate that's already had an Irish academy S&C role with degree + masters along with a few years working sub or academy. If they're happy to do some on the job research at UCD all the better too.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Morf wrote: January 26th, 2021, 8:38 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: January 26th, 2021, 7:42 amThat has got to be the most comrehensive Job Description I've ever come across in the context of rugby. The main reporting line is to a post I've never heard of before and I wonder is this Noel McNamara's new role.

A lot of HR fluff but it looks fairly standard I'd say. I'm a sport & exercise science grad without having worked in the field.

So you have some leeway to plan/execute but sounds like there is a sub-academy and senior system you have to fit between along with being in harmony with IRFU (20s/7s). So the buck stops somewhat with you for academy but you're likely tweaking pre-existing programs/schedules along with a lot of monitoring for fatigue and excess load and coordinating rehab with physio/rehab specific staff.

This kinda post is likely going to a candidate that's already had an Irish academy S&C role with degree + masters along with a few years working sub or academy. If they're happy to do some on the job research at UCD all the better too.
Thanks, so Job Spec filled with the management-speak equivalent from the S&C world
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 27th, 2021, 7:04 amThanks, so Job Spec filled with the management-speak equivalent from the S&C world
Yeah I'd say so. Nothing ground-breaking in terms of duties or relationships.
Spiral92
Beginner

Post by Spiral92 »

Jamie osbourne named on the bench!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

great to see a club player progress so quickly, will be the youngest back to make his debut since fellow Naas RFC man Adam Byrne(18) did in 2012. Both will have made debut before getting an academy contracts.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 29th, 2021, 1:17 pm great to see a club player progress so quickly, will be the youngest back to make his debut since fellow Naas RFC man Adam Byrne(18) did in 2012. Both will have made debut before getting an academy contracts.
Any idea on his height and weight MI? Looks tall and a bit rangy
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 29th, 2021, 1:39 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 29th, 2021, 1:17 pm great to see a club player progress so quickly, will be the youngest back to make his debut since fellow Naas RFC man Adam Byrne(18) did in 2012. Both will have made debut before getting an academy contracts.
Any idea on his height and weight MI? Looks tall and a bit rangy
6'3ish

He's been mostly a fullback underage for leinster.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LH Prop
Michael Milne(U22/Roscrea/UCD) - injured
Marcus Hanan(U21/Clane RFC/Old Belvedere)
--
Jack Boyle(U19/St. Michaels/UCD)

TH Prop
Tom Clarkson(U21/Blackrock/DUFC)

Hooker
John McKee(U21/Campbell/Old Belvedere) - injured
--
Lee Barron(U20/St. Michaels/DUFC)

Lock
Charlie Ryan(U22/Blackrock/UCD) - injured
Brian Deeny(U21/Wexford RFC/Clontarf) - injured
Joe McCarthy(U20/Blackrock/DUFC)
--
Mark Morrissey(U19/Blackrock/UCD)

Backrow
Martin Moloney(U22/Athy RFC/Clontarf) - injured
Sean O’Brien(U21/Blackrock/UCD)
Alex Soroka(U20/Belvedere/Clontarf)
--
Mark Hernan(U21/St. Michaels/Lansdowne)

Scrumhalf
Patrick Patterson(Blackrock/UCD) - on loan with Munster.
Cormac Foley(U22/St. Gerards/Lansdowne)

Outhalf
David Hawkshaw(U22/Belvedere/Clontarf)
--
Tim Corkery(U20/Kilkenny RFC/UCD)
Charlie Tector(U19/Kilkenny/Lansdowne)

Centre
Liam Turner(U22/Blackrock/DUFC) - injured
--
Jamie Osborne(U20/Naas RFC/Naas)
Karl Martin(U19/Boyne RFC/Old Belvedere)

Back Three
Michael Silvester(U23/Clongowes/DUFC) - injured
Aaron O’Sullivan(U22/Exile/Blackrock) - injured
Max O’Reilly(U21/St. Gerards/DUFC)
Niall Comerford(U21/Blackrock/UCD)
Andrew Smith(U21/St. Michaels/Clontarf) - injured
--
Chris Cosgrave(U20/St. Michaels/UCD)
Shane Mallon(U19/Longford RFC-Roscrea/UCD)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Possible incoming academy class?

Charlie Tector(U19/Kilkenny/Lansdowne) OR Tim Corkery(Kilkenny RFC/UCD)
Last edited by mildlyinterested on February 3rd, 2021, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ayewserious
Beginner

Post by Ayewserious »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 10:19 am Possible incoming academy class?

Will hickey? Ben Murphy?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ayewserious wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 12:46 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 10:19 am Possible incoming academy class?

Will hickey? Ben Murphy?
Rumour is hickey has been cut from sub-academy and irish 20's and may be leaving ireland to play professional rugby,

Don't see them adding a scrumhalf at the moment, that could be wrong of course but unless Murphy has a stellar 20's campaign I don't see it happening, might have a competition between various scrumhalves in preseason to see if one stands out for an academy place. But then maybe Murphy ends back down in Munster or elsewhere.
Ayewserious
Beginner

Post by Ayewserious »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 1:10 pm

Will hickey? Ben Murphy?
Rumour is hickey has been cut from sub-academy and irish 20's and may be leaving ireland to play professional rugby,

Don't see them adding a scrumhalf at the moment, that could be wrong of course but unless Murphy has a stellar 20's campaign I don't see it happening, might have a competition between various scrumhalves in preseason to see if one stands out for an academy place. But then maybe Murphy ends back down in Munster or elsewhere.
Very surprised about hickey and Marcus Kiely being cut, can’t see the logic behind that
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ayewserious wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 5:02 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 1:10 pm

Will hickey? Ben Murphy?

Very surprised about hickey and Marcus Kiely being cut, can’t see the logic behind that
can see why they might have been cut, certainly tough decisions I'd imagine. Unfortunate that with so little rugby being played they didn't get much of an opportunity to prove their talent/ability in actual competitive games of rugby.

both have potential to go on and succeed elsewhere anyway, wouldn't be surprised to see Kiely head west. Best of luck to them.
Purist98
Bookworm

Post by Purist98 »

Was impressed by Hickey in the A game against Munster, was surprised he went off at half time, but if they don't have an academy place for him then probably pointless keeping him around for the rest of the season in the current climate, he's gone to Wales already afaik