Leinster Academy 2021-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Academy 2021-22

Post by mildlyinterested »

Munster Development: Patrick Campbell (PBC)u20; Seán French (Cork Constitution FC), Alan Flannery (Shannon RFC), Darragh French (UCC)u20,Jamie Shanahan (Garryowen FC); Jack Crowley (Cork Constitution FC), Paddy Patterson (UCD); Mark Donnelly (Garryowen FC), Scott Buckley (UCC), James French (UCC); Eoin O’Connor (Young Munster), Paddy Kelly (Garryowen FC); Cian Hurley (Garryowen FC), Jack Daly (Garryowen FC), Alex Kendellen (UCC).

Replacements from: Dylan Murphy (Garryowen FC)u20, Alessandro Heaney (UCC)u20, Darragh McSweeney (Shannon RFC)u20, Edwin Edogbo (UCC)u20, Fearghail O’Donoghue (Cashel RFC), Adam Maher (Young Munster RFC), Tony Butler (Garryowen FC)u20, Alex Wood (Garryowen FC)u20, George Coomber (UCC)u20, John Forde (Cork Constitution FC), Daniel Okeke (Shannon RFC), Jack Delaney (Garryowen FC).

Could be another ugly result for leinster dev
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

An agent doesn't look like he/she has done much if they try to get you fast tracked into the academy and Leinster say no. But if a prem club comes in it's a different ballgame.

Ah well, if he comes back to Ireland it won't be to Leinster.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Does he qualify to play for Ireland?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

cormac wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 7:10 pm Does he qualify to play for Ireland?
Yes
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I’m struggling to think of even one young player that any Irish province has lost to this kind of deal and regretted it.

The likes of McElroy and Betts spring to mind.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 7:31 pm I’m struggling to think of even one young player that any Irish province has lost to this kind of deal and regretted it.

The likes of McElroy and Betts spring to mind.
Have any of them been recruited straight out of school and given a 3 year contract at 18 before playing u20 rugby?

You are comparing apples with oranges.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on September 23rd, 2021, 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I’m not really, there isn’t one player that the academy has turned down that has gone on to big things.

On the other hand, we’d have a squad of about 200 if we signed all the players you’ve hyped up over the years. I trust the judgement of the experts.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Nice non-answer.

Past results are no guarantee of future performance.

As i said listen to Jackman he makes some valid points about how the academy works.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Jager for overseas. Timoney is in the Irish squad. But then it's not like they're better than the guys who kept them out.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It wasn’t a non answer, I’m saying I don’t care what other clubs think, if our own experts don’t offer an academy deal then I trust their judgment, whether that’s based on ability or just because they’ve to balance the books or number of players per position etc etc.

The last mistake I can think of is Geordan Murphy? That’s a pretty good indicator that the system works.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 7:59 pm Jager for overseas. Timoney is in the Irish squad. But then it's not like they're better than the guys who kept them out.
Neither are mistakes for me, I don’t rate either and I’m pretty sure there’s a lot of posts of me criticising both of them.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Just looking through Jackman’s coaching history. He signed at least 14 players for the Dragons before the 2018-19 season and was sacked in December. Yikes, probably prudent that our coaches do the exact opposite of what he thinks really, maybe not the best judge of a player.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I've never seen this guy play, but clearly this 17 year old who moved to Ireland four years ago and didn't play SCT in 6th year is a MASSIVE loss.

(There are shades of Tony Ward calling for Billy Dardis to be in an Irish senior squad about this whole convo...)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 8:41 pm I've never seen this guy play, but clearly this 17 year old who moved to Ireland four years ago and didn't play SCT in 6th year is a MASSIVE loss.

(There are shades of Tony Ward calling for Billy Dardis to be in an Irish senior squad about this whole convo...)
So you admit you have no idea what your talking about, thanks for the input.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 8:52 pm
wixfjord wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 8:41 pm I've never seen this guy play, but clearly this 17 year old who moved to Ireland four years ago and didn't play SCT in 6th year is a MASSIVE loss.

So you admit you have no idea what your talking about, thanks for the input.
Yes if only others on here were so forthcoming with their ignorance GG!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 8:01 pm
ronk wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 7:59 pm Jager for overseas. Timoney is in the Irish squad. But then it's not like they're better than the guys who kept them out.
Neither are mistakes for me, I don’t rate either and I’m pretty sure there’s a lot of posts of me criticising both of them.
I was agreeing. Izuchukwu has the potential though.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That’s a potential one alright, really like the look of him. Although again I think you take these things in the context of the powers that be needing to take everything into account and not just simply expecting them to sign every talented player there is as if there’s room and a budget for all of them, or remembering that maybe we don’t have the right platform for everyone and that players need to go elsewhere to thrive.

Who knows, maybe the academy guys wanted to sign him but then were told that the 8k was needed to improve facilities for the women’s teams.

I never understand that the go to response for people who disagree with decisions is that it’s a colossal f%~k up worthy of incessant outrage, particularly when the track record of those experts is so good, and ESPECIALLY if I was very often wrong in my own player evaluations that were actually based on very little footage.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 7:59 pm It wasn’t a non answer, I’m saying I don’t care what other clubs think, if our own experts don’t offer an academy deal then I trust their judgment, whether that’s based on ability or just because they’ve to balance the books or number of players per position etc etc.

The last mistake I can think of is Geordan Murphy? That’s a pretty good indicator that the system works.
I’d have Girve every day over Geordan Murphy. Superior player by far…
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Things spicing up here after a very slow preseason I see. This is a great forum. Plenty of informed and considered views shared and debated. Let's keep the respect to the fore as we make our points. Myself included.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

backrower8 wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 10:51 pm Things spicing up here after a very slow preseason I see. This is a great forum. Plenty of informed and considered views shared and debated. Let's keep the respect to the fore as we make our points. Myself included.
Wholeheartedly agree.

On the previous matter. I think we just have to have faith in Leinsters' process here. The fact the posters here can name on one hand the amount of players that have gotten away shows that we are doing something right. McElroy would have been viewed in a similar light and he's only just got his first pro contract, Kelleher is an Lion. Berti Newman is undoubtedly a talent but clearly there are others Leinster view as just as talented, even if there is a little too much reliance on the Michaels/ Blackrock talent line. Let's relax, wish the young lad all the best and hope that he some day will come back.