Re: Leinster Academy 2021-22

Post by johng »

I had to Google it. Yiz mad spoons.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

wixfjord wrote: November 24th, 2021, 3:11 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: November 24th, 2021, 2:02 pm Leinster might have the starting irish u20 TH prop this season and have a tighthead prop with the irish u19 and irish u18 squads.. so it's unlikely he is coming in to help leinster out, not to mention Leinster have Tom Clarkson in the senior squad who is still just 21.

Players i'm talking about:

Rory McGuire(U20/Blackrock/UCD)
Paddy McCarthy(U19/Blackrock)
Andrew Sparrow(U18/St. Marys)
Ben Howard(U18/St. Michaels)
Adam Deay(U18/Tullow RFC)
It might make sense if this guy is a proper raw power athlete like Salanoa and they're taking a chance on him alongside a 'safer' bet like Clarkson. No idea if that's the case but his physique, RL background and Tongan heritage makes it more likely.

The fact he's IQ is a bonus.
its an IRFU move, they've just chosen the leinster sub-academy as its where the best coaching for props occurs and where most of the best underage props will be training so they'll get to see how he measures up. If he wasn't IQ'd and from the shute shield, I doubt it would be happening.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

speaking of props, leinster have two looseheads in the irish 20's camp, 2 more in the irish 19's squad and 2 in the irish 18's squads.

Jack Boyle(St. Michaels/UCD)
Ben Popplewell(Wexford/Lansdowne)
George Hadden(Gorey/Clontarf)
Adam Duffy(Dundalk/Lansdowne)
Tom Stewart(St. Michaels)
Oisin Lynch(Boyne RFC)
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 24th, 2021, 8:12 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: November 24th, 2021, 2:02 pm Leinster might have the starting irish u20 TH prop this season and have a tighthead prop with the irish u19 and irish u18 squads.. so it's unlikely he is coming in to help leinster out, not to mention Leinster have Tom Clarkson in the senior squad who is still just 21.

Players i'm talking about:

Rory McGuire(U20/Blackrock/UCD)
Paddy McCarthy(U19/Blackrock)
Andrew Sparrow(U18/St. Marys)
Ben Howard(U18/St. Michaels)
Adam Deay(U18/Tullow RFC)
It might make sense if this guy is a proper raw power athlete like Salanoa and they're taking a chance on him alongside a 'safer' bet like Clarkson. No idea if that's the case but his physique, RL background and Tongan heritage makes it more likely.

its an IRFU move, they've just chosen the leinster sub-academy as its where the best coaching for props occurs and where most of the best underage props will be training so they'll get to see how he measures up. If he wasn't IQ'd and from the shute shield, I doubt it would be happening.
You're very sure about that considering you'd never heard of this guy this morning!

I mean clearly if he wasn't IQ it wouldn't be happening, that goes without saying. He's a special project who they've obviously scouted and is worth a punt. He could be the type or raw athlete that you want Leinster to be taking chances on right?

Or is it just you can't dare to admit Leinster might be bringing in a guy from Oz into the academy...
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote: November 24th, 2021, 8:50 pm

You're very sure about that considering you'd never heard of this guy this morning!

I mean clearly if he wasn't IQ it wouldn't be happening, that goes without saying. He's a special project who they've obviously scouted and is worth a punt. He could be the type or raw athlete that you want Leinster to be taking chances on right?

Or is it just you can't dare to admit Leinster might be bringing in a guy from Oz into the academy...
:roll:

I don't care where they bring a player into the academy from, if he is better than the leinster options available then great.. we shall see if this guy is, somehow I feel that if he is worthy of an academy contract it will end up happening elsewhere.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on November 24th, 2021, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 24th, 2021, 8:52 pm

I don't care where they bring a player into the academy from, if he is better than the leinster options available.. we shall see if this guy is.
You were pretty annoyed about Salanoa, Knox, More iirc?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote: November 24th, 2021, 8:54 pm

I don't care where they bring a player into the academy from, if he is better than the leinster options available.. we shall see if this guy is.
not a fan of scouting 18 year olds from south africa and bringing them into the system with academy contracts in order to qualify them for ireland.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on November 24th, 2021, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 24th, 2021, 8:55 pm

not a fan of scouting 18 year olds from south africa and bringing them into the system in order to qualify them for ireland.
But that would indicate you do care about where they bring a player into the academy from?

Do you reckon 21 year olds Aussies with tenuous Irish connections are all good?

What about Salanoa?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote: November 24th, 2021, 9:00 pm

not a fan of scouting 18 year olds from south africa and bringing them into the system in order to qualify them for ireland.
But 21 year olds Aussies with tenuous Irish connections are all good? Got it!

What about Salanoa?
Salanoa and Burnett aren't coming to ireland with contracts, Salanoa was in the leinster sub-academy for 18 months.. Burnett is here on a 4 month trial and is IQ'd.

If you can't see the difference here then I dunno what to tell you.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on November 24th, 2021, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 24th, 2021, 9:02 pm

What about Salanoa?
Salanoa and Burnett aren't coming to ireland with contracts, Salanoa was in the leinster sub-academy for 18 months.. Burnett is here on a 4 month trial.

What I see is you trying to make some flimsy argument over what's ok and what's not.

Leinster will have signed off on this and it's no difference to Salanoa, More, Knox or any similar acquisition of an 'off the rader' foreign player into an academy.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote: November 24th, 2021, 9:05 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: November 24th, 2021, 9:02 pm

What about Salanoa?
Salanoa and Burnett aren't coming to ireland with contracts, Salanoa was in the leinster sub-academy for 18 months.. Burnett is here on a 4 month trial.

What I see is you trying to make some flimsy argument over what's ok and what's not.

Leinster will have signed off on this and it's no difference to Salanoa, More, Knox or any similar acquisition of an 'off the rader' foreign player into an academy.
apart from Burnett doesn't have an academy contract arriving in Ireland and neither did Salanoa.

But yeah completely the same situations. :lol:
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 24th, 2021, 9:07 pm

apart from Burnett doesn't have an academy contract arriving in Ireland and neither did Salanoa.

Ah right, so sub academy and Ozzie fine, academy and Munster bad. Got it!

But you were also pissed about Salanoa at the time, so clearly have changed the tune...

https://www.leinsterfans.com/forum/view ... 21#p747121
https://www.leinsterfans.com/forum/view ... 49#p741749
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: November 24th, 2021, 9:29 pm

But you were also pissed about Salanoa at the time, so clearly have changed the tune...

Well Salanoa was a project with no connection to Ireland being taken from a rugby minnow. Burnett is Irish and Australia haven't shown interest in him. There's that.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote: November 24th, 2021, 10:08 pm

Well Salanoa was a project with no connection to Ireland being taken from a rugby minnow. Burnett is Irish and Australia haven't shown interest in him. There's that.
'Irish'.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

wixfjord wrote: November 24th, 2021, 10:10 pm

'Irish'.
not going to bat here, but having an Irish grandfather makes him about as Irish as Michael Bent who has an Irish Grandmother.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 24th, 2021, 11:09 pm
'Irish'.
not going to bat here, but having an Irish grandfather makes him about as Irish as Michael Bent who has an Irish Grandmother.
Which is 25% of a person's DNA and heritage, pretty substantive. Try stripping 25% of who you are away and tell me you wouldn't be a different person.

#GrandparentsMatter
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

backrower8 wrote: November 25th, 2021, 10:21 am

'Irish'.
Which is 25% of a person's DNA and heritage, pretty substantive. Try stripping 25% of who you are away and tell me you wouldn't be a different person.

#GrandparentsMatter
wouldn't mind dropping the 25% of me that's body fat :D :D :D
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 25th, 2021, 4:23 pm
backrower8 wrote: November 25th, 2021, 10:21 am

#GrandparentsMatter
wouldn't mind dropping the 25% of me that's body fat :D :D :D
If that's your fat %, you're in top class nick if your >40 yrs of age
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I think he meant the excess body fat rather than whole.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ok, AT LEAST 25% EXCESS body fat.

Sheesh tough crowd :D