A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster Academy 20-21

Post by riocard911 »

Keith wrote: May 28th, 2021, 10:01 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: May 28th, 2021, 9:56 pm
Keith wrote: May 28th, 2021, 9:42 pm I hate that people think this is a reason Leinster don't provide streams for anything.
It doesn't matter what people think, I know its the reason - as in a Leinster head coach telling me that I can't have footage of certain games for a Leinster Rugby production that wasn't going to be released for another six months by which time he wouldn't even be the head coach, for that exact reason. It's very f%~king hard to make a DVD about a treble when you have f%~k all footage of one third of the competitions let me tell you :lol:
I think the cats out of the bag, everyone knows Leinster has a good squad and academy. Time to step into 2010 and start providing streams like almost every other team on the planet.
And allow more open training sessions for supporters etc. etc. etc. to increase visibility, merchandising sales and buy-in - like the successful French teams do, as Birch recently explained on the RTÉ rugby podcast.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 28th, 2021, 9:56 pm
Keith wrote: May 28th, 2021, 9:42 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: May 28th, 2021, 7:57 pm Its almost as if one of the teams is about to take part in a major international tournament and doesn't want to expose themselves to analysis - selfish b$&%@#ds that they are.
I hate that people think this is a reason Leinster don't provide streams for anything.
It doesn't matter what people think, I know its the reason - as in a Leinster head coach telling me that I can't have footage of certain games for a Leinster Rugby production that wasn't going to be released for another six months by which time he wouldn't even be the head coach, for that exact reason. It's very f%~king hard to make a DVD about a treble when you have f%~k all footage of one third of the competitions let me tell you :lol:
Mentioned this before but I can back this up too. People can disagree with it (and I do at times) but it’s true and makes complete sense.

If I was a head coach I’d probably want the same thing but if I was the CEO I’d want all access. Both opinions are valid.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Sam Illo looking powerful: https://www.sportsfile.com/id/2015104/
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Besides the footage issue, it's a warmup game between a half strength A team and Irish U20s at 1pm on a Friday.

99% of Irish rugby supporters wouldn't even know it's on and you'd be lucky to get 5-600 viewers for it.

I understand the frustration of not seeing proper A team games, but it's hardly a travesty that Leinster didn't see fit to stream this.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: May 29th, 2021, 3:39 pm Besides the footage issue, it's a warmup game between a half strength A team and Irish U20s at 1pm on a Friday.

99% of Irish rugby supporters wouldn't even know it's on and you'd be lucky to get 5-600 viewers for it.

I understand the frustration of not seeing proper A team games, but it's hardly a travesty that Leinster didn't see fit to stream this.
"Hardly a travesty" - I agree. That said, if there's, as you say, 5-600 fans, who would be even interested in watching such an unimportant match, and the amount effort required to put a smartphone on a tripod in the stands and send it out via Periscope is practically ****in' zero, I do personally think Leinster Rugby are seriously missing a trick here.
Purist98
Bookworm

Post by Purist98 »

I can understand it not being streamed, but would be more annoyed about that the fact that there was no coverage or score updates and that the match report is sub standard
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

riocard911 wrote: May 29th, 2021, 4:41 pm
wixfjord wrote: May 29th, 2021, 3:39 pm Besides the footage issue, it's a warmup game between a half strength A team and Irish U20s at 1pm on a Friday.

"Hardly a travesty" - I agree. That said, if there's, as you say, 5-600 fans, who would be even interested in watching such an unimportant match, and the amount effort required to put a smartphone on a tripod in the stands and send it out via Periscope is practically ****in' zero, I do personally think Leinster Rugby are seriously missing a trick here.
But it isn't really zero. It costs a camera crew to ensure it's of high quality. A smartphone on a camera?! Periscope?!
You remember the whinging that was done after the Munster game earlier this year about poor quality streaming right?

I said 5-600 by the way :lol:

Just for context, there were just over 5,000 views on the Leinster A v Connacht A game, a game that had two proper A sides out and was streamed on a Saturday afternoon.

There's no way this would've had anywhere near that level of viewership.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Periscope has been shuttered btw
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 29th, 2021, 7:25 pm Periscope has been shuttered btw
Didn't know that. On whose orders - Joe Schmidt's or Leo Cullen's? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

riocard911 wrote: May 29th, 2021, 8:31 pm
Didn't know that. On whose orders - Joe Schmidt's or Leo Cullen's? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Mine, it was sh!t and a pain in the hole :lol:

Next, Zoom!
I have Bumbleflex
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 29th, 2021, 8:34 pm

Next, Zoom!
Yes...please, please make Zoom go away forever...someone...
Dont Panic!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dexter wrote: May 30th, 2021, 8:58 am
Dave Cahill wrote: May 29th, 2021, 8:34 pm

Next, Zoom!
Yes...please, please make Zoom go away forever...someone...
I used WebEx and intercall daily before we got Zoom at work. Zoom was a revelation
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Yeah, moved to Zoom in work years ago. Zoom were, and are, ahead of the game.

It just works.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Can one use Zoom to narrowcast a match from one's smartphone like one used to be able to with Periscope?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911 wrote: May 30th, 2021, 9:59 pm Can one use Zoom to narrowcast a match from one's smartphone like one used to be able to with Periscope?
Streaming app or browser? Should be able to if it's browser, apps may have more restrictions. I'd keep an eye on Google Meet too.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote: May 30th, 2021, 10:23 pm
riocard911 wrote: May 30th, 2021, 9:59 pm Can one use Zoom to narrowcast a match from one's smartphone like one used to be able to with Periscope?
Streaming app or browser? Should be able to if it's browser, apps may have more restrictions. I'd keep an eye on Google Meet too.
Zoom can't handle fast moving video. It's basically end of life reverse engineered Cisco Webex technology behind a very well designed and easy to use interface
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I'm used to streams being rubbish.

Do you know are any of the other tools better in that regard?
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Discord is a really good tool
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote: May 31st, 2021, 12:18 am I'm used to streams being rubbish.

For a field sport do you mean? I wouldn't consider any 'all in one' solution like Zoom to be in any way, shape, or form, fit for purpose. They aren't meant to be though, they're for video conferencing. For live matches you need a level of control over a variety of things that these packages don't, and aren't designed to, offer.

I don't think people have any idea of what is needed to push out any kind of professional watchable stream - even for the most basic of setups. The ease of use of tools like Zoom/Facetime/Skype/whatever has made people think it's easy - but it's massively different pushing out static head and shoulders shots or powerpoint presentations than it is a fast moving field sport
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 31st, 2021, 9:56 am
ronk wrote: May 31st, 2021, 12:18 am I'm used to streams being rubbish.

For a field sport do you mean? I wouldn't consider any 'all in one' solution like Zoom to be in any way, shape, or form, fit for purpose. They aren't meant to be though, they're for video conferencing. For live matches you need a level of control over a variety of things that these packages don't, and aren't designed to, offer.

I don't think people have any idea of what is needed to push out any kind of professional watchable stream - even for the most basic of setups. The ease of use of tools like Zoom/Facetime/Skype/whatever has made people think it's easy - but it's massively different pushing out static head and shoulders shots or powerpoint presentations than it is a fast moving field sport
Gan dabht, Dave. That said, I remember a pre-season match vs Ulster up in Ravers two or three years ago, where they plonked a smartphone on a tripod in the stands and sent it out via Periscope. It was zero-frills: no commentary, only background noise, and no close up shots, but just the operator panning back and forth from left to right to keep the action in the picture. For nuts like ourselves, I thought it was grand and certainly hugely better than nothing.