A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Academy 20-21

Post by mildlyinterested »

wixfjord wrote: September 1st, 2021, 7:16 pm
hugonaut wrote: September 1st, 2021, 5:56 pm

But I think Mildly makes a good point about taking punts on a few more unpolished guys with raw potential – size, speed, strength etc. We had this discussion on the board a few times, and I think that there's merit to what he is saying.
There's definitely merit, but in order to do that, you have to not select someone else who may have a better pedigree, more polished and be a safer bet. And we'd have huge complaints if that happened too.

So it's an impossible situation.

It strikes me that if any player slips through the Leinster net and turns out to be a test level there'll be complaints about 'mistakes'. I think that's a very simple reading of the situation.

In fact that's what the system is designed to.

I don't consider Beirne a 'mistake' for example. If you had the context that Leinster had when he left you would've made the same decision.

You can't get 100% of decisions about guys who are 19/20/21 right, it's just not possible.
a safer bet to be what? a squad player?

better pedigree? what does that mean? he went to Michaels or Blackrock? he was really good at JCT or SCT level?

It can be very position dependent but when it's a position where size/athleticism is at a premium, a 6'7 110kg+ super athlete shouldn't be considered a risk not worth taking.

One of Leinster's biggest issues is a lack of premium athletes at certain positions, this is down to the narrow base of players that leinster relies upon for talent. When a raw athlete emerges from outside the talent base, leinster should be all over that player and giving him every chance to make it, not the opposite.

No one is asking for 100% decision making, you are the only one bringing that up, rather a less conservative decision making and a broadening of the talent base.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on September 1st, 2021, 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 1st, 2021, 7:24 pm
a safer bet to be what? a squad player?

better pedigree? what does that mean? he went to Michaels or Blackrock? he was really good at JCT or SCT level?

It can be very position dependent but when it's a position where size/athleticism is at a premium, a 6'7 110kg+ super athlete shouldn't be considered a risk not worth taking.

One of Leinster's biggest issues is a lack of premium athletes at certain positions, this is down to the narrow base of players that leinster relies upon for talent. When a raw athlete emerges from outside the talent base, leinster should be all over that playing and giving him every chance to make it, not the opposite.
Why are you so triggered by this?! Why is Izuchukwu the flavour of your month?

Like a guy who has played very little second row at all (and didn't know how to jump in a lineout or join a maul) is clearly a risk compared to a guy who has played well enough for Ireland or a province at that position to warrant an academy spot.

So yes, when you're making a decision about who gets a spot in an academy that's very constrained, you're more likely to choose someone who is less of a risk and has shown better pedigree at that level.

You'd be the very first person complaining if one of your other flavour of the month SCT guys wasn't chosen too!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Academy 2021-22

Flavour of the month? right sure... :roll:

We are going around in circles here and there is really no point in continuing this discussion. Good luck.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 1st, 2021, 7:44 pm Flavour of the month? right sure... :roll:

We are going around in circles here and there is really no point in continuing this discussion. Good luck.
You responded to me :lol:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: September 1st, 2021, 7:16 pm
hugonaut wrote: September 1st, 2021, 5:56 pm

But I think Mildly makes a good point about taking punts on a few more unpolished guys with raw potential – size, speed, strength etc. We had this discussion on the board a few times, and I think that there's merit to what he is saying.
There's definitely merit, but in order to do that, you have to not select someone else who may have a better pedigree, more polished and be a safer bet. And we'd have huge complaints if that happened too.

So it's an impossible situation.

It strikes me that if any player slips through the Leinster net and turns out to be a test level there'll be complaints about 'mistakes'. I think that's a very simple reading of the situation.

In fact that's what the system is designed to.

I don't consider Beirne a 'mistake' for example. If you had the context that Leinster had when he left you would've made the same decision.

You can't get 100% of decisions about guys who are 19/20/21 right, it's just not possible.
I agree, sometimes you would have to let a guy with a higher training age loose in order to accommodate somebody with more potential ... potential which a] may not really exist or b] may not be realised. I think it is a balancing act rather than an impossible situation.

I saw Tadhg Beirne play pretty much every home match he played in for Leinster or Leinster 'A' in his last season. I thought that No6 would be a good fit for him, but did not see 'Tadhg Beirne - Test Lion' in his future. I might have said it before, but I have since compared him to Oisin Dowling when he left for Connacht ... I thought that was where he was at. I've been wrong before about players and will be wrong again.

With regards to Izzy, he's a super player with loads of potential. Tough scene to compare him to Brian Deeny, who missed the whole of last year with an injury – Deeny didn't really get the chance to put his argument forward. I think Deeny is a good player with an excellent attitude to getting through work and a lot of athletic ability.

Joe McCarthy isn't a like-for-like comparison with either. I think he is a tighthead-side lock in the making and would expect him to get pretty broad in the beam as he matures physically ... he only turned 20 this year. A guy like that probably won't flash a lot of highlight reel stuff but there aren't an awful lot of broad second rows in the Irish game. From what I have heard he's quite a rumbustious character too, which is a good fit for the position.

To be frank, I can't complain about our second row stocks. James Ryan, Ryan Baird, Ross Molony, Jack Dunne, Charlie Ryan, Deeny, McCarthy ... it's a lot of talent, a lot of size and a lot of youth. Hopefully Jack Dunne stays fit and healthy this year so he can get 15-18 games under his belt this season, because I think that's the missing ingredient for him to make progress towards European squads.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 1st, 2021, 6:56 pm

Was it?

Jack Boyle has played 1 year(2021), he will play again next season, injury allowing.
Lee Barron didnt even play u20 rugby due to injury but again he had only 1 year in the sub-academy.
Mark Hernan played 1 year of u20's(2020), but did two years in the sub-academy
Ben Murphy would have played two years at u20(2020-2021) but for injury(neither year was he the 1st choice 9) and only got 3 caps off the bench for a total of 20 mins as an u20.
Rob Russell played 1 year of u20's(2019), but has been heavily involved with the A side and sub-academy for the past two seasons.
Chris Cosgrave played 1 year of u20's(2021).

Charlie Ryan was not a punt, he was irish u20 captain and did 2 seasons in the sub-academy. Now they may have taken a punt on him becoming a better athlete with more pro training but he isn't comparable to Izuchukwu apart from their height.

You are misunderstanding Izuchukwu's route to pro rugby, after Roscrea he moved to Scotland and started playing lock as he was huge, he played centre at Roscrea, he was spotted by an irish scout and recruited to move back to Ireland during his u19 season to play 7's. He trained with Leinster u20's the summer of 2019 and was involved with the leinster sub-academy before being let go. He managed to stay involved with the irish u20's squad and Kieran Campbell spotted him and offered him an Ulster academy place. Leinster had every chance to get Izuchukwu on board but passed.
Odd I thought I thought I saw it said about the 2 years. I thought I responded too.

If I misunderstood Izuchukwu's route to pro rugby it was on the basis of an interview that talked about the other things but didn't mention the sub academy.

You thought Charlie Ryan wouldn't make the academy. Plenty of guys make it ahead of guys with more athletic ability and better skills. I thought they showed faith in him.

Beirne was a mistake. One that most fans made, one that the other provincial coaches made when they passed on him when he was released. We don't need to dwell on it but we should learn from it. With better coaching we'd have discovered what he was capable of, Mick Kearney was keeping him out of the team.
OneLungDavy
Bookworm

Post by OneLungDavy »

wixfjord wrote: September 1st, 2021, 7:33 pm
Why are you so triggered by this?! Why is Izuchukwu the flavour of your month?
Did you have to turn this into a Twitter thread? I was enjoying that debate.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/meet-the-n ... y-players/
Lee Barron (DUFC)

A hooker by trade, Lee Barron first took up rugby with Lansdowne FC in Ballsbridge.

From there, he attended St Michael’s College where he was a Bank of Ireland Leinster Schools Senior Cup winner in 2019.

Barron’s earliest rugby memory is the famous Munster v Leinster clash in Croke Park in 2009.

Outside of the game, he’s an avid golfer and plays off a handicap of six. He’s also studying Business and Management in TUD.

Jack Boyle (UCD RFC)

Our second new Academy member is also a member of the 2019 St Michael’s College Senior Cup winning team, of which there are four included in this year’s Academy Year One. His rugby journey initially began with Old Wesley RFC.

UCD Commerce student Boyle, fresh from a solid campaign on the loosehead side of the scrum for the Ireland U-20s, is also one of the college’s Ad Astra Scholars.

As well as having an eye for the try-line, he’s also accomplished in Athletics, winning bronze in both the hammer throw and long jump at Leinster Schools level.

His first memory of rugby is walking out at the RDS Arena as team mascot beside then captain Leo Cullen for the clash with Scarlets in 2008.

Temi Lasisi (Lansdowne FC)

Another front rower, Temi Lasisi also enjoyed a spell with the Ireland U-20s over the course of their Six Nations tournament in Cardiff this year.

The TUD Mechanical Engineering student originally picked up the oval ball in Enniscorthy before later moving to Lansdowne FC.

A keen follower of Leinster great Cian Healy, Lasisi rose through the ranks in the Youths system, his first outing with the province came at U-18 level against Northampton.

He also describes himself as a ‘competent pianist’.

Ben Murphy (Old Wesley RFC)

A triple crown winner with the Ireland U-20 team in 2020, scrum half Ben Murphy will be hoping this step into the Leinster Rugby Academy is just the next step on a long rugby career.

Like Boyle, Murphy has already experienced the thrill of running out at a packed RDS Arena, acting as mascot for the Edinburgh Rugby clash at the RDS in 2007 on a day where current senior team coach Felipe Contepomi was captain.

After being introduced to the game by Seapoint RFC, Murphy later attended Presentation College Bray where he joined up with the school’s teams.

Now a UCD student studying Economics and History, his playing days continued post-school with Clontarf FC and Old Wesley RFC while he spent some time with Munster Rugby on a short-term contract in late-2020.

Chris Cosgrave (UCD RFC)

Another of the 2019 St Michael’s team, Chris Cosgrave is well-equipped to play any role across the back-line.

His athleticism is best highlighted by his feats in the field of Athletics with All-Ireland honours to his name in both the 4x100m relay and the Discus.

Cosgrave is a member of UCD RFC, where he is also an Ad Astra scholar studying Agricultural Science.

Before the UCD and St Michael’s College days, he played at a young age with Old Belvedere RFC.

Rob Russell (DUFC)

Rob Russell is the next on our list of new Academy entrants, a third year Business and Management student in TUD.

Russell is at his most comfortable in the number 15 shirt, starting there in the 2019 Celtic Cup win for Leinster Rugby ‘A’.

His rugby journey has moved between Wanderers FC, St Michael’s College and DUFC so far with more to come from the full back. He was named as part of Leo Cullen’s matchday 23 for the Rainbow Cup clash against Glasgow Warriors but unfortunately did not feature.

He has also dabbled in Gaelic football, lining out for the Kilmacud Crokes club.

Mark Hernan (Lansdowne FC)

Mark Hernan is an openside flanker with experience of winning honours at the RDS Arena, captaining that 2019 St Michael’s College side to Senior Cup glory.

Before school, however, he was donning the colours of St Mary’s College RFC and since then has joined forces with Lansdowne FC.

He has experience of playing with Leinster ‘A’ over the last couple of years and has also trained on occasion with the senior squad.

Outside of rugby, Hernan is an avid cricketer and golfer. He has had trials at Leinster level in cricket while his golf handicap is currently 12.

He is also a grandson of former Lord Mayor of Dublin, Fergus O’Brien.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Interesting - two of the DUFC players are studying Business and Management at TUD rather than at TCD
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster Rugby U-19 Team v Ulster:

15. Noah Sheridan (Wicklow RFC)
14. Luka Hassett (St Michael’s College)
13. Hugh Cooney (Blackrock College)
12. David Dooley (MU Barnhall RFC)
11. Jed Tormey (Belvedere College)
10. Sam Prendergast (Newbridge College) CAPTAIN
9. Fintan Gunne (St Michael’s College)

1. George Hadden (Gorey RFC)
2. Gus McCarthy (Blackrock College)
3. Ronan Foxe (Tullamore RFC)
4. Jim Peters (Portlaoise RFC)
5. Diarmuid Mangan (Newbridge College)
6. Daniel Leane (St Mary’s College)
7. Dan Carroll (St Michael’s College)
8. Matthew Victory (St Michael’s College)

Replacements:
16. Tom Barry (Gonzaga College)
17. Adam Duffy (Dundalk RFC)
18. Patrick McCarthy (Blackrock College)
19. James Doyle (Enniscorthy RFC)
20. Josh O’Hare (Dundalk RFC)
21. Oscar Cawley (Naas RFC)
22. Matthew Lynch (Terenure College)
23. Darragh Gilbourne (St Mary’s College
Leinster Rugby U-18 Clubs v Ulster U-18 Clubs:

15. David Donohue (Lansdowne FC)
14. Aidan Henry (Athy RFC)
13. Charlie Sheridan (Naas RFC)
12. Senan Phelan (St Mary’s College RFC)
11. Tom Hodgkinson (Wicklow RFC)
10. Tom Larke (Old Wesley RFC)
9. Andrew Doyle (Athy RFC)

1. Oisin Lynch (Boyne RFC)
2. Niall O’Hanlon (Athy RFC)
3. Adam Deay (Tullow RFC)
4. James O’Loughlin (Naas RFC) CAPTAIN
5. Eoin Clarke (Cill Dara RFC)
6. Niklas Moelders (Wicklow RFC)
7. Donagh McCarrick (Coolmine RFC)
8. Grant Palmer (Wexford Wanderers RFC)

Replacements:
16. Sean Tipper (Naas RFC)
17. Jamie Rafferty (Dundalk RFC)
18. Keith Farrell (MU Barnhall RFC)
19. Darragh Mathews (Clontarf FC)
20. Anrai Poole (Suttonians RFC)
21. Jack Nolan (Lansdowne FC)
22. Ethan Travers (Naas RFC)
23. Páidí Farrell (Tullamore RFC)
)
Leinster Rugby U-18 Schools v Ulster U-18 Schools:

15. Ruben Moloney (Blackrock College)
14. Jules Fenelon (St Michael’s College)
13. Luke Kritzinger (Blackrock College)
12. Wilhelm De Klerk (St Michael’s College)
11. Hugo McLaughlin (Gonzaga College)
10. Jack Murphy (Presentation College Bray)
9. Oliver Coffey (Blackrock College)

1. Tom Stewart (St Michael’s College)
2. Flyn Pyper (Presentation College Bray)
3. Andrew Sparrow (St Mary’s College)
4. Michael Colreavy (Blackrock College)
5. Alex Mullan (Blackrock College)
6. Stephen Smith (Kilkenny College) CAPTAIN
7. Inigo Cruise O’Brien (Blackrock College)
8. Richard Whelan (Cistercian College Roscrea)

Replacements:
16. Lucas Maguire (Catholic University School)
17. Karl Brennan (Belvedere College)
18. Ben Howard (St Michael’s College)
19. Alan Spicer (Belvedere College)
20. Tom Brigg (Blackrock College)
21. Tadgh Brophy (Newbridge College)
22. Sean Naughton (Kilkenny College)
23. David Colbert (Gonzaga College)
Interesting sides..

No Sam Berman or Louis McGauran is a surprise in the schools side somewhat. could be injured of course.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on September 3rd, 2021, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 3:59 pm

Replacements:

Replacements:
)

Replacements:
Interesting sides..
It's incredible how the clubs side has become based on players from primarily the eastern counties of Leinster although that shouldn't really surprise me.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I assume some relation to 'The Cruiser'?
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 3:59 pm

Replacements:

Replacements:
)

Replacements:
Interesting sides..

No Sam Berman or Louis McGauran is a surprise in the schools side somewhat. could be injured of course.
Aso no James Nicholson in the U19 schools team
Purist98
Bookworm

Post by Purist98 »

Would have to presume Lucas Berti and Zach Baird are injured if they haven't featured in any of the 19s games
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Purist98 wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 6:28 pm Would have to presume Lucas Berti and Zach Baird are injured if they haven't featured in any of the 19s games
Presumably..
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 5:29 pm
I assume some relation to 'The Cruiser'?
Grandson
Oddshapedballs
Beginner

Post by Oddshapedballs »

Anybody hear score from the u19s match v Ulster?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

They won 22-17. Interpro champions.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on September 4th, 2021, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oddshapedballs
Beginner

Post by Oddshapedballs »

Thanks.
If you hear the results from the u18 schools & club matches can you post them here too.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Clubs won 22-8