Leinster Academy 2021-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster Academy 20-21

Post by hugonaut »

Excellent write up.

I don't think weight is a big issue for Lasisi – I think he carries 120kg very comfortably, and it's a great weight for a loosehead. Obviously if he goes pro he's entering a very structured world of S&C and there will be changes in his body composition, but he is a big dude with wide shoulders and big hands. He looks comparatively slimmer at 120kg than Ed Byrne does at 114kg [in my opinion]. I think Leo is looking for more size in his front row and Lasisi will fit right in.

Illo is a nice prospect too on the tighthead side - he showed some light feet against Italy with some of his carries, which you wouldn't expect from a tighthead but it suggests that he has explosiveness as well as strength. From my perspective, I think Illo plays more like a loosehead and Lasisi like a tighthead, but that could just be a perception that doesn't carry into reality.

Boyle is blue chip, a certainty. Just a matter of time.

Soroka a very good fit for blindside – certain matches the specs for the prototype No6 for the contemporary game.

Osborne is another certainty. Either LRIP or Ronk said before the tournament that sometimes guys who have already broken through into their provincial set-ups don't thrive at U20 level, and this was a case in point. We have seen him do really well at senior level, and it's a way way higher standard than U20. I definitely project him as a centre - he's similar to Jauzion at centre or Gavin Hastings at fullback, and the game seems to have moved away from the Hastings-type FB.

Those are the stand-outs for me. Would definitely have liked to have seen more of Cosgrave.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The only issue with Osborne as a centre is it limits his ability to use his left boot, which could be an incredible weapon. He's also pretty good in air and at 6'3/15st is the type of fullback that we haven't really seen in blue.

I'd definitely like to see him get a shot there.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: July 13th, 2021, 8:45 pm The only issue with Osborne as a centre is it limits his ability to use his left boot, which could be an incredible weapon. He's also pretty good in air and at 6'3/15st is the type of fullback that we haven't really seen in blue.

True. The boot is a huge weapon, he strikes the ball amazingly well.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

wixfjord wrote: July 13th, 2021, 8:45 pm The only issue with Osborne as a centre is it limits his ability to use his left boot, which could be an incredible weapon. He's also pretty good in air and at 6'3/15st is the type of fullback that we haven't really seen in blue.

I see that as a positive. He'll be more than capable of playing like the English centres of Daly and Slade ( or Owen Farrell ), using his deadly left boot for the little grubbers, cross kicks etc..
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

French clubs beginning to become a clear and present danger to leinster's pipeline of talent, especially players not from the big 2 schools, Karl Martin may be the first of a few players to take up more lucrative offers abroad, big summer ahead, it will be interesting to see how leinster/irfu deal with this emerging threat.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

erskinechilders wrote: July 13th, 2021, 10:50 pm

I see that as a positive. He'll be more than capable of playing like the English centres of Daly and Slade ( or Owen Farrell ), using his deadly left boot for the little grubbers, cross kicks etc..
Perhaps so and he has looked good at centre (albeit a bit lost at times defensively, which is to be expected!)

But given the cannon he has and his size I think he could be a very find 15 (or even an 11), which are positions we're slightly less resourced than in the centre.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Jonathan Davies. Great kicker from 13.

It became more important in the last few years as wingers come up in the line once they know the outhalf isn’t kicking and it’s easy enough to get alternative kickers either by splitting orucks in the middle or using screen runners
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

There are lots of good kickers who played in the centre.

My point is Osborne's long kicking looks so good that I'd like to see him given a shot at 15 as he'll get to use it more there.

Not just kicking either, he's got a physique and size that we haven't seen from a 15 in the pro era.

At 19 he's two inches and 4/5 lbs bigger than Rob Kearney!

I would also like to see him trialled at 11 by the way. Not sure it's a fit but we're lacking a bit of size in the back three when Lowe/Byrne aren't there.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I'd like to see Osborne work on his 10-15 mtr acceleration and his out and out pace. He is a very talented backline player with the skills to play 10, 12-13, 11 or 15; he kicks with unique length; he tackles very well, although predominantly favouring his left side. He passes well and swerves off either foot and is elusive in counter-attack.

However, I believe he has lost some 0f his absolute pace over the past 16 months. Over that period he has certainly developed his physique and that will be invaluable to him in senior rugby. But if he is to grow into a contender for Pro16 rugby or better, he must have top-line pace because none of his other skills can compensate for this vital ability.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/2107077/

Leinster u18 clubs training pics.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

wixfjord wrote: July 14th, 2021, 1:03 pm There are lots of good kickers who played in the centre.

My point is Osborne's long kicking looks so good that I'd like to see him given a shot at 15 as he'll get to use it more there.

Not just kicking either, he's got a physique and size that we haven't seen from a 15 in the pro era.

At 19 he's two inches and 4/5 lbs bigger than Rob Kearney!

I would also like to see him trialled at 11 by the way. Not sure it's a fit but we're lacking a bit of size in the back three when Lowe/Byrne aren't there.
the one thing I would say is that with Keenan and O'Brien coming to the fore this season we're pretty stacked at 15, definitely need more depth at 11 & 14. I think 13 is his long term position. Get a kicker further out with great physicality. A mix of Rougerie & Slade would be nice!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I don't think you lose anything putting Keenan on the wing. He's been locked in for Ireland so we don't need to worry about being overstocked at fullback.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Ruckedtobits wrote: July 14th, 2021, 5:30 pm I'd like to see Osborne work on his 10-15 mtr acceleration and his out and out pace. He is a very talented backline player with the skills to play 10, 12-13, 11 or 15; he kicks with unique length; he tackles very well, although predominantly favouring his left side. He passes well and swerves off either foot and is elusive in counter-attack.

However, I believe he has lost some 0f his absolute pace over the past 16 months. Over that period he has certainly developed his physique and that will be invaluable to him in senior rugby. But if he is to grow into a contender for Pro16 rugby or better, he must have top-line pace because none of his other skills can compensate for this vital ability.

I presume you mean as a fullback? I'd agree and it's the same reason Mike Haley isn't being considered for the ireland squad.

As a center he has all the attributes and his kicking would be a big bonus. He could be used for clearing kicks but his most impressive moment was the kick pass to the winger in the last game.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/squads-con ... -17-games/

North Midlands Area Squad v Midlands

1 .Jake Andrews, Portlaoise
2. David Moore, North Kildare
3. Killian McHugh, Portarlington
4. Nathan Yap, Clane
5. Sean Peters, Port Laoise
6. Padraic Cullen, Naas
7. Ruari Scully, Athy
8. James Walsh, Athy
9. Max Gaynor, Newbridge
10. James Harris, Athy
11. Ola McCullough, Cill Dara
12. Lachlann Cawley, Naas
13. Conor Kelly, Athy
14. PJ Larkin, Port Laoise
15. Jake Darcy, Port Laoise

16. George Cosgrove, Naas
17. Oisín Bannon, Cill Dara
18. Jamie Baldwin, Port Laoise
19. Sean Lavin, North Kildare
21. Chris Sheils, North Kildare
22. Glenn Carter, North Kildare
23. Conor Ragget, Port Laoise

South East Area Squad v Metro

1. Padraig Waters, Enniscorthy
2. Donal Kealy, Kilkenny
3. Tadhg Ronan, Carlow
4. Tom Stokes, Gorey
5. Ernest Kaulis, Arklow
6. Sean Roberts, Kilkenny
7. Jack Doyle, Carlow
8. Fionn Hickey, Tullow
9. Noah Cope, Carlow
10. Peter Burgess, Tullow
11. Adam Ralph, Wicklow
12. Connor Fahy, Wexford Wanderers
13. Cillian Moore, Carlow
14. Geordan Peggs, Tullow
15. Shane Duffy, Tullow

16. Cian Cashman, Carlow
17. Gavin O’Connor, Enniscorthy
18. Sam Turner, Wexford Wanderers
19. Ryan Byrne, Tullow
20. Sean Dunne, Kilkenny
21. Neil Byrne, Gorey
22. Brian Broderick, Carlow
23. Greg Kelly, Kilkenny

Metro Area Squad v South East

1. Gordon Tracey, St Mary’s College
2. Calum Clarke, Coolmine
3. Daniel Colgan, Coolmine
4. Christopher Ascough, Seapoint
5. Guihermo Neto, Clontarf
6. Shane Stokes, DLSP
7. Edgaras Kucinkas, MU Barnhall
8. Ethan Fennell MU Barnhall
9. Conor Horan, Seapoint
10. Will Saunders, DLSP
11. Cillian Cleary, Suttonians
12. Gavin Keane, MU Barnhall
13. Adam Gray, MU Barnhall
14. Conor Toomey, Clontarf
15. Mark Cleary, MU Barnhall

16. Fionn Dalton, Seapoint
20. Ruaidhrí Smith, MU Barnhall
21. Hugh Dummer, Suttonians
22. Michael Barrett, Clontarf
23. Luke Ingle, Suttonians
24. Jude Kehoe, Naas

Midlands Area Squad vs North Midlands

1. James Buckley, Midland Warriors RFC
2. David O’Rourke, Tullamore RFC
3. Paulie Farrell, Mullingar RFC
4. Ciarán Crowley, Tullamore RFC
5. Patrick Dooley, Birr RFC
6. Jack Boyan, Mullingar RFC
7. Sam Mills, Longford RFC
8. Darragh Brennan, Tullamore RFC
9. Peter Feeley, Tullamore RFC
10. Jack Bates, Tullamore RFC
11. Jack Burns, Tullamore RFC
12. Simon Drea, Tullamore RFC
13. Conor Moore, Mullingar RFC
14. Sean Brennan, Mullingar RFC
15. Dean Broderick, Midland Warriors

16. Eoin Powell-Murtagh, Longford RFC
17. Jack Hanlon, Edenderry RFC
18. Tom Sveinty, Mullingar RFC
19. John Colgan, Tullamore RFC
21. Ciaran McKenna, Mullingar RFC
22. Rory Allen, Edenderry RFC
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Sounds like Sam Illo, Will Reilly and Josh O'Connor are all joining the connacht academy.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Illo was definitely hot property after an extremely strong U20s campaign.

Hope it goes well for him. I thought there might have been a place here
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

arsebiscuits1 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 1:17 pm Illo was definitely hot property after an extremely strong U20s campaign.

It might not be Leinster's call. It could be and IRFU directive.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

D4surfer wrote: July 28th, 2021, 1:57 pm
arsebiscuits1 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 1:17 pm Illo was definitely hot property after an extremely strong U20s campaign.

It might not be Leinster's call. It could be and IRFU directive.
I dont think so.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

How do you like your poison?

I suppose it's marginally better to let them go now then but all the work and development in, give them their Pro 16 debut and then have them packed off to Munster. That's always a kick in the nad's :(
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Illo another example of a high upside athlete, who is maybe a bit raw in certain aspects, that leinsters academy has decided to overlook, seems odd leinster don't have interest in taking chances on these types of players.

Hopefully Lasisi isn't also overlooked.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on July 28th, 2021, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.