Leinster Academy 2021-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster Academy 20-21

Post by Morf »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 12:43 pm
ChrisUppy wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 11:10 am He looks to have a very impressive frame and still looks (from my uninformed eye) to still be a bit wirey.

After some more senior level S&C (I emphasize S&C, not meaningless weight gaining) he could naturally end up close to a Yannick Jauzion dimensioned player.
if we are going to compare him to french legends then i'd lean more towards Rougerie.
Jauzion had a grace and glide of the kind I associate with Penaud now. Quick without looking so.
Rougerie is a bit more agricultural to me.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Purist98 wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 5:08 pm Looks like Rob Russell trained with senior squad today
no sign of him in the pictures.
Purist98
Bookworm

Post by Purist98 »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 24th, 2021, 1:55 pm
Purist98 wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 5:08 pm Looks like Rob Russell trained with senior squad today
https://www.sportsfile.com/id/1980083/
I'm almost certain that's him that Contepomi's chatting to
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Purist98 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 5:30 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: February 24th, 2021, 1:55 pm
https://www.sportsfile.com/id/1980083/
I'm almost certain that's him that Contepomi's chatting to
Thought that was O'Reilly. But could be Russell.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on February 24th, 2021, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Morf wrote: February 24th, 2021, 6:00 am
mildlyinterested wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 12:43 pm
ChrisUppy wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 11:10 am He looks to have a very impressive frame and still looks (from my uninformed eye) to still be a bit wirey.

After some more senior level S&C (I emphasize S&C, not meaningless weight gaining) he could naturally end up close to a Yannick Jauzion dimensioned player.
if we are going to compare him to french legends then i'd lean more towards Rougerie.
Jauzion had a grace and glide of the kind I associate with Penaud now. Quick without looking so.
How absolutely very dare you compare le beaux Aurelian to a turnip - there was most definitely NOTHING agricultural about him :evil:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Xanthippe wrote: February 24th, 2021, 5:53 pm
Morf wrote: February 24th, 2021, 6:00 amJauzion had a grace and glide of the kind I associate with Penaud now. Quick without looking so.
How absolutely very dare you compare le beaux Aurelian to a turnip - there was most definitely NOTHING agricultural about him :evil:
Like a big Michelin tractor tyre rolling down a hill.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

So academy players still injured: Milne, Ryan, Deeny, Moloney, Silvester, O'Sullivan & Smith
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Noticed a lot of player birthdays recently, looked up the academy and the volume of players born in the 1st half of their birth year compared to the 2nd half is notable:

Ryan - 3rd Feb
Milne - 5th Feb
McKee - 15th Feb
Soroka - 19th Feb
Clarkson - 22nd Feb
O'Reilly - 26th Feb
Deeny - 3rd Feb
Hanan - 10th March
McCarthy - 26th March
Comerford - 6th April
Silvester - 4th June
Hawkshaw - 3rd July
SOB - 31st July
Smith - 21st July
Moloney - 19th October
Foley - 24th October
Osborne - 16th November
Patterson - 30th November
O'Sullivan - 15th December

It would certainly seem that you have a better chance making it if you were born earlier in the year.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Interesting - I think studies have shown that in the NHL too
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Yeah I think it's common in most sports, given how underage sport works by year of birth and how relatively older players get more development opportunities.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Is that a good thing, a bad thing or just a thing?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 26th, 2021, 9:51 am Is that a good thing, a bad thing or just a thing?
not sure, it's certainly a thing in underage sports.. would wonder if similarly or more talented players born later in their year of birth are being overlooked due to DOB. but hard to know.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 26th, 2021, 9:23 am Noticed a lot of player birthdays recently, looked up the academy and the volume of players born in the 1st half of their birth year compared to the 2nd half is notable:

Ryan - 3rd Feb
Milne - 5th Feb
McKee - 15th Feb
Soroka - 19th Feb
Clarkson - 22nd Feb
O'Reilly - 26th Feb
Deeny - 3rd Feb
Hanan - 10th March
McCarthy - 26th March
Comerford - 6th April
Silvester - 4th June
Hawkshaw - 3rd July
SOB - 31st July
Smith - 21st July
Moloney - 19th October
Foley - 24th October
Osborne - 16th November

It would certainly seem that you have a better chance making it if you were born earlier in the year.
I read before that that’s because they are a bit older and more developed than their piers at younger age grades and they do better and derive confidence from it. Obviously we’re talking very young for months to make a difference but apparently that’s a thing. The being young playing against older boys you often hear bandied about in the media is the exception to the rule when they look at it statistically.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Number of academy players playing this weekend:

Munster: 0
Connacht: 0
Ulster: 1
Leinster: 4
Jcahill1
Bookworm

Post by Jcahill1 »

Yeah I think it's more that due to the factors around it, players born earlier in the year are also better due to the positive reinforcement at this stage of the careers. Although I'm sure there is also an element of being overlooked due to U20 appearances etc.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Jcahill1 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 1:46 pm Yeah I think it's more that due to the factors around it, players born earlier in the year are also better due to the positive reinforcement at this stage of the careers. Although I'm sure there is also an element of being overlooked due to U20 appearances etc.
i'd say it starts earlier than u20.. at jct level.. if you are slightly older and more mature physically are you more likely to be starting and developing in your schools side etc.

Also if you are born in the later half of the year you'll only have 1 season at u20 level after leaving school, presuming you do 4th year, meaning you probably have one season to impress for an academy place.

whereas, if you are born in Jan you'll have two seasons out of school and potentially in sub academy.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 26th, 2021, 9:23 am Noticed a lot of player birthdays recently, looked up the academy and the volume of players born in the 1st half of their birth year compared to the 2nd half is notable:

Ryan - 3rd Feb
Milne - 5th Feb
McKee - 15th Feb
Soroka - 19th Feb
Clarkson - 22nd Feb
O'Reilly - 26th Feb
Deeny - 3rd Feb
Hanan - 10th March
McCarthy - 26th March
Comerford - 6th April
Silvester - 4th June
Hawkshaw - 3rd July
SOB - 31st July
Smith - 21st July
Moloney - 19th October
Foley - 24th October
Osborne - 16th November

There is a book on that topic relating to Canadian Ice Hockey - Outliers by Malcom Gladwell.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 26th, 2021, 1:48 pm
Jcahill1 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 1:46 pm Yeah I think it's more that due to the factors around it, players born earlier in the year are also better due to the positive reinforcement at this stage of the careers. Although I'm sure there is also an element of being overlooked due to U20 appearances etc.
i'd say it starts earlier than u20.. at jct level.. if you are slightly older and more mature physically are you more likely to be starting and developing in your schools side etc.

Also if you are born in the later half of the year you'll only have 1 season at u20 level after leaving school, presuming you do 4th year, meaning you probably have one season to impress for an academy place.

whereas, if you are born in Jan you'll have two seasons out of school and potentially in sub academy.
The Leinster club scene is a perfect example. A 15 year old kid born in Jan or Feb is going to be considerably bigger than one born in October. They can bully their way in underage games and get picked up for development squads. There they get better coaching, S&C etc. This reinforces their selection despite the fact that most lads will catch up physically by the time they hit 18.

I coached a number of lads who lost out to this "bias" despite the fact that they were far better players than lads who have gone on to make the academy.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

the spoofer wrote: February 26th, 2021, 3:19 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: February 26th, 2021, 1:48 pm

The Leinster club scene is a perfect example. A 15 year old kid born in Jan or Feb is going to be considerably bigger than one born in October. They can bully their way in underage games and get picked up for development squads. There they get better coaching, S&C etc. This reinforces their selection despite the fact that most lads will catch up physically by the time they hit 18.

I coached a number of lads who lost out to this "bias" despite the fact that they were far better players than lads who have gone on to make the academy.
yeah that's the scenario i'm thinking of.

the current bias toward those born earlier in the year in the academy, I would say isn't a good sign that the underage development system is working at an optimum level.

for example most players who play two seasons at u18 level or 2 seasons at u20 level are born in Jan/Feb. Those coaching/development opportunities are rarely afforded to lads born in Nov/Dec. Except a few exceptional cases who come to mind like Tadhg Furlong at u20 level or Ciaran Frawley at u18.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

It has a big knock-on effect on skill development, because the more physically developed guys aged 13, 14, 15, get the best 'A' team coaching and most attention. Then, when aged 17/18, even if the later developers have caught up physically, they are behind technically.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!