Wing going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Wing going forward

Post by mildlyinterested »

i'd be surprised if AB played for Leinster again at this stage.. could be way off with that call but the signs aren't great.

Think TOB could be an intl on the wing given skillset and his size suits that position best IMO.

Of the academy players, O'Sullivan has great size/speed for the position but need to see more. Smith has a lot of potential too.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 11th, 2021, 7:35 am i'd be surprised if AB played for Leinster again at this stage.. could be way off with that call but the signs aren't great.

Think TOB could be an intl on the wing given skillset and his size suits that position best IMO.

Of the academy players, O'Sullivan has great size/speed for the position but need to see more. Smith has a lot of potential too.
If AB is gone (fingers crossed he'll be back), it might be worth keeping an eye on Eoghan Barrett who is now getting game time with Pau. https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rug ... B48OYzJjnc

The current crop of academy outside backs are struggling to impress.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Keith wrote: January 16th, 2021, 8:37 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 11th, 2021, 7:35 am i'd be surprised if AB played for Leinster again at this stage.. could be way off with that call but the signs aren't great.

If AB is gone (fingers crossed he'll be back), it might be worth keeping an eye on Eoghan Barrett who is now getting game time with Pau. https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rug ... B48OYzJjnc

can't see that happening myself.. they'll back who they have in the system IMO.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 17th, 2021, 9:35 am

Can't see the majority of them making it to be honest. I would be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong though.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Keith wrote: January 17th, 2021, 6:34 pm

Can't see the majority of them making it to be honest. I would be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong though.
Similar would have been said about keenan at the same age. We will have to wait and see how things play out.. but Comerford and O'Reilly were never regarded as players who would be ready to excel upon immediately entering the academy. In fact that they joined at all was a bit of a surprise.

With JOB, TOB, Keenan and Larmour have four back three players 24 and under who look more than good enough.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 17th, 2021, 6:40 pm
Keith wrote: January 17th, 2021, 6:34 pm

Similar would have been said about keenan at the same age. We will have to wait and see how things play out.. but Comerford and O'Reilly were never regarded as players who would be ready to excel upon immediately entering the academy. In fact that they joined at all was a bit of a surprise.

With JOB, TOB, Keenan and Larmour have four back three players 24 and under who look more than good enough.
True yes we aren't doing bad in that department by any means, but we could get light in that department with international call ups and Kearney not getting any younger. Comerford looked way out of his depth at the weekend there, O'Reily had a couple of nice touches to be fair and seems to be rated by Leo.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

That would be a real shame. Cracking player coming forward, 20 tries in 57 games. I think Will Greenwood had him as a Lions bolter on a previous tour! Hope you're wrong but he's spent an awful lot of time on the sideline.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Aitzol King would be a potential wing to keep an eye on coming through the club system, former Meath minor footballer, current u19, listed at 6'3, 95kg in this article: https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/fin ... 4430828884
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Shane Mallon highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9gTuyl ... etesAbroad

Current sub-academy wing, also u19. Came through Longford RFC until he moved to Roscrea at U16 level.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

age as of next season:

Dave Kearney(32) - rumoured to have signed 2 year contract.
James Lowe(29) - Signed 3 yr contract in 2020.
Rory O'Loughlin(27) - signed contract in 2020
Adam Byrne(27) - Signed contract in 2020.
Cian Kelleher(27) - rumoured to be leaving for Ealing.
Hugo Keenan(25) - expected to re-sign with Leinster.
Jimmy O'Brien(24) - expected to re-sign with Leinster.
Jordan Larmour(24) - Signed contract in 2020.
Tommy O'Brien(23) - Signed contract in 2020.
--
Michael Silvester(23) - missed most of final academy season with injury. Future unclear.
Aaron O'Sullivan(21) - missed most of final academy season with injury. Future unclear.
Andrew Smith(21) - Academy Yr 1
Niall Comerford(21) - Academy Yr 1
Chris Cosgrave(20) - expected to join academy this summer.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Be a mistake to let kelleher go. We have no real cover after larmour on the right wing. Madness unless we are lining someone else up that we dont know about?
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

carlow man wrote: March 16th, 2021, 5:58 pm Be a mistake to let kelleher go. We have no real cover after larmour on the right wing. Madness unless we are lining someone else up that we dont know about?
It's not madness if he's been offered more money elsewhere. No way should we be over paying for a winger who isn't first choice.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Well he is first choice at the moment. Larmour and lowe are in national squads so we have dave and cian left. I can't imagine we are paying pittance to kelleher as we did choose to bring him back from connacht so I'm sure hes doing okay for himself
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

carlow man wrote: March 16th, 2021, 8:35 pm Well he is first choice at the moment. Larmour and lowe are in national squads so we have dave and cian left. I can't imagine we are paying pittance to kelleher as we did choose to bring him back from connacht so I'm sure hes doing okay for himself
We don't know the details yet, no point in speculating now.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

carlow man wrote: March 16th, 2021, 8:35 pm Well he is first choice at the moment. Larmour and lowe are in national squads so we have dave and cian left. I can't imagine we are paying pittance to kelleher as we did choose to bring him back from connacht so I'm sure hes doing okay for himself
That’s not first choice.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

ronk wrote: March 16th, 2021, 9:42 pm
That’s not first choice.
Larmour is only playing right wing because he lost his place to Keenan. Our only other natural right wing is ab who is always injured. Kelleher deserves his chance. Hes more than capable of keeping his spot.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He’s a valuable squad member. I have no complaints. Larmour’s best position at the moment is right winger. He’s mostly there for Leinster and Ireland. He’s first choice.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

DK is playing right wing when Lowe plays too.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen